PENN

MATTUSMC

May 27, 2014
Ruskin, Florida
Name
Matthew Bertsch
Boat
199 Sea Fox Commander "SEA EYE"
Doubled up on two nice yellowtail (28 & 29#) off La Jolla on Sunday. Fishing with the fleet of boats in about 100' with macs on dropper loops. There was more bait around than I have seen in three years of fish the area. 3 or more good sized macs on every drop of the sabiki, no problem making good bait. I cannot wait for a couple of years till my little man can go with me.

IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
Doubled up on two nice yellowtail (28 & 29#) off La Jolla on Sunday. Fishing with the fleet of boats in about 100' with macs on dropper loops. There was more bait around than I have seen in three years of fish the area. 3 or more good sized macs on every drop of the sabiki, no problem making good bait. I cannot wait for a couple of years till my little man can go with me.

View attachment 750179 View attachment 750180

thanks for the report... anything else going on out there? anything on the troll? bottom critters?

Reactions: MATTUSMC
Upvote 0

MATTUSMC

May 27, 2014
Ruskin, Florida
Name
Matthew Bertsch
Boat
thanks for the report... anything else going on out there? anything on the troll? bottom critters?

I saw two yellows boil throughout the day, but could not get any love throw irons at them. The flyline got hit twice but quickly dropped. Nothing other than yellows on the dropper loop macs, nothing wanted to touch the squid when I would put it. I had six yellows on, but some weak (possibly bad) floro snapped on two and two came un-buttoned, over the course of about 6 hours with bait in the water.

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")

I fished bottom on Saturday. Clouds of tuna crab all over my rocks. Fish not interested in the artificials that usually work for me. Really strong north current below 50' along with the upper current making it hard to hold bottom even with 12oz.

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
We had two yellows do the same thing with the flyline. Quick pick up and drop before I could put the reel in gear.

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
From the looks of it....little man doesnt mind gettin his hands dirty with slime . I think he'll be ready before you know it !!

Good report !!!

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
I saw two yellows boil throughout the day, but could not get any love throw irons at them. The flyline got hit twice but quickly dropped. Nothing other than yellows on the dropper loop macs, nothing wanted to touch the squid when I would put it. I had six yellows on, but some weak (possibly bad) floro snapped on two and two came un-buttoned, over the course of about 6 hours with bait in the water.

I feel your pain. I started out with a dropper loop but drifting on the yak it kept tangling up and killing my baits. Switched out to a carolina with a 2 oz sinker, dropped it down outside of the kelp around 85'-100' and hooked up almost instantly. Came off after less than a minute (bait crushed and eyes bulging), then rebaited, and hooked up right away again and came off right away again taking my bait this time. Then I put my last mac on and deciding to start heading in, began to reel up my bait, and got slammed, fought this fish for about 30 minutes or longer, and I pulled the ultimate rookie move by thumbing the spool and lost it with only 25ft of line left. I was so pissed at myself. I mustve seen at least 2 boaters and 4-5 other kayakers lose fish yesterday. Glad some people came up. Bait was everywhere (greenbacks, spanish and sardines in the mix along with all the crabs). Bite is still on today too!!

Reactions: Mick and MATTUSMC
Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
From the looks of it....little man doesnt mind gettin his hands dirty with slime . I think he'll be ready before you know it !!

Good report !!!
Hope the little guy has a solid stomach like his Dad. My friend's boy went out the first time and got sick--then had some kind of seizure, scared hell out of him and he came into the harbor hot with Paramedics standing by at the dock. Boy was fine, but proves I guess you might want to go a short distance first time.

Upvote 0

MATTUSMC

May 27, 2014
Ruskin, Florida
Name
Matthew Bertsch
Boat
I feel your pain. I started out with a dropper loop but drifting on the yak it kept tangling up and killing my baits. Switched out to a carolina with a 2 oz sinker, dropped it down outside of the kelp around 85'-100' and hooked up almost instantly. Came off after less than a minute (bait crushed and eyes bulging), then rebaited, and hooked up right away again and came off right away again taking my bait this time. Then I put my last mac on and deciding to start heading in, began to reel up my bait, and got slammed, fought this fish for about 30 minutes or longer, and I pulled the ultimate rookie move by thumbing the spool and lost it with only 25ft of line left. I was so pissed at myself. I mustve seen at least 2 boaters and 4-5 other kayakers lose fish yesterday. Glad some people came up. Bait was everywhere (greenbacks, spanish and sardines in the mix along with all the crabs). Bite is still on today too!!

I know your pain, I fished a Hobie PA14 for four years and some days drift fishing was just a PITA. I used to fly line one bait and sink the other one. That seemed to help with the tangles, but the fly lined bait attracts seals which really sucks when on a yak, not like you can power up and make a short fast move to get away from them.

Reactions: Sgtsilbaugh
Upvote 0

MATTUSMC

May 27, 2014
Ruskin, Florida
Name
Matthew Bertsch
Boat
Hope the little guy has a solid stomach like his Dad. My friend's boy went out the first time and got sick--then had some kind of seizure, scared hell out of him and he came into the harbor hot with Paramedics standing by at the dock. Boy was fine, but proves I guess you might want to go a short distance first time.

By judging what I have seen so far, he will have no issue with it. No motion sickness in vehicles or anything. He is all boy, mama got tired of repeated attempts to keep him away from the fish, so she finally gave up, stripped him down and said "well, it is bath night, have at it". By the time he was done he was covered in slime from top to bottom. But we will absolutely start with short trips and easy fish. I remember how bored I used to get a youngster trolling for hours for walleye on Lake Huron.

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
I know your pain, I fished a Hobie PA14 for four years and some days drift fishing was just a PITA. I used to fly line one bait and sink the other one. That seemed to help with the tangles, but the fly lined bait attracts seals which really sucks when on a yak, not like you can power up and make a short fast move to get away from them.

I'm in a paddle yak (Malibu X Factor), so it's tough to get away from the seals. Nice job on the Yellows!!! I can't wait to get my little one out there too!! Semper Fi

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Yes its very fun when they get old enough to go. Then in time theirs will go too!

20160215_133936_resized.jpg

Reactions: Hardcor
Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Talking about kids and boats--here is one from this last season. Took son's family including two kids--one three, the other two. When we came up to the dock at Long Beach, I tied up and got out. A HUGE Sea Lion was hanging around that dock, right there on 2nd street. A guy coming in behind me tossed a dead Bonito to the animal, then tied up. As my two grandkids came up onto the dock, Mom had them both by the hands, with a bag of supplies from the day, dangling from her arm. The huge animal slipped up onto the dock, pretty as you please thinking she had food in her bag. Those two kids looked pretty damn small about 18 inches from that beast. All adults just about shit--kids of course oblivious

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Nice going! :hali_olutta:

Taking my son Evan out tomorrow. He just turned 3. Had him out at 2 years old a few times. He had fun but, more stressful for me.

Such a huge difference now that he's 3.

j

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
He's farther along than you think... Time for some little grundens, a hat , and some quality polarized glasses.

Can wait to get out with my 2 sons in couple weeks. Last spring at ci with >20lbs yt I used heavy 2 speed reels (daiwa sld 20 2spd) w 40/50 lb with mag30 deep divers. The kids could keep rod in the holders and crank low gear while I went in and out of idle troll. Seeing expression on their face when a fat yellow surfaced was priceless... then the gaff shot to a nice fat YT disoriented by being wenched into the stern. But the reel screams like the dickens on first run. And I do need to kick it's ass for 3-5 minutes (or maybe I just tell myself that) to turn their heads before I place pole back in holder and give to kids.

Upvote 0