I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Hey guys,

Took my gal up to Ventura Sportfishing and jumped on the Island Spirit for the opener. Full load of 30 mixed passengers. Capt Cody was driving and sorry but I forgot the names of the 3 deckands and cook ( "Fin" was one name I remembered)
Anyway capt said wind was blowing the night before so instead if heading over to the islands, We made a right and headed up the coast to some deep water spots. Said we would be fishing about 400-550 feet deep to start.
I had brought 3 rigs.

1) Dropper Loop -Calstar 800M with Penn Fathom 25N filled with 50lb braid to 20' of 40lb mono. (low gear swap).

2) Slow Pitch-Black Hole Cape Cod Special 662HMF with Shimano 16NA filled with 40lb braid to 10' of 50lb flouro.

3) Slow Pitch-Temple Reef Innovate 80 MH with Accurate Vailant 500N filled with 30lb braid to 10' of 50lb flouro

Conditions were cold and breezy with associated chop for the ride up. Some mild swell in the water and beautiful clear skies.
20210301_063108.jpg

We started fishing and I had my gal start out with the dropper loop with 16oz of wt. I was committed to jigging all day. First drop and all lines scoped way out before hitting bottom. Wind and current were pushing us at around 3mph. Nothing bit on that drop and I quickly switched out the wt on my girls rig to 20 oz and switched my jig from form a teardrop shape to a longer/narrow shape (250g). We re-set and things worked out much better as fish started coming aboard slowly.
My setup changes worked much better and my gal and I were able to get down faster than most other folks using lighter weights. Even with 20oz, the dropper loops were scooping out quite a bit. With a short cast upwind, I was able to hit bottom while still vertical but soon scoped out with the wind/current. Little adjustment to that and it was game on.
We spent the day doing multiple drifts along the stretch of coast with the rest of the day fleet. Typical rockfishing with some drops more productive than others but good fishing. Species seen caught were Reds, Bosco, Bank Perch, Johnny Bass, Canary, Green Spotted, Flag, Starry, Grouper, Chile Peppers, and Lingcod. Heard that a Cowcod was caught and depth released but I didn't see it.
news_41614654214.jpg
I did pull up a fish with a red crab in its throat.
20210302_063520.jpg
Pinned it on my girls dropper loop and she picked up a nice Chile on it.
Conditions got better and better through out the day with less wind and current and though we didn't have wide open bites, It made for a great day of fishing especially since I was jigging all day and my gal jigged 50% of the time. Limits all around the boat and a nice ride home.
20210301_145753.jpg
20210301_115553.jpg
news_31614654213.jpg

The new capt cook,and crew did a great job with a lot of communication. And customer service was great. I have to give it to Cody. He was a hawk up in the wheel house. Any time a fish came up or a tangle happened, he was calling it out on the PA and the crew was on it Pronto. Made for a great day of fishing instead of the nightmare of tangles it could have been. The crew even made sure everybody stayed on one side of the boat during the morning drifts.
Haven't been on the Island Spirit in a few years but glad to say that Tucker and Cody are running a nice operation !
20210301_155835.jpg
20210301_155822.jpg

20210301_202403.jpg

Last edited:

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Hey Ray! Delicious looking specimens!

Were you fatigued at all jigging the entire day at the new extreme depth limits?
Bro ! The left bicep was definitely fatiguing by the end of the day. But no more that a long day of yo yo fishing or Wahoo bomb grinding. Either way the search for that next "mystery bite" keeps you going. It ain't for everybody and was just a choice I made for the day. Same as when you say "I'm just throwing plastic (or iron) today".
I love jig fishing and that's what it was about. The fact that I caught fish on par with everybody else and was able to get down quicker was just a bonus and well worth the arm fatigue. I'll add that it was probably less fatiguing than fishing 20 + ounces of wt dropper loop fishing, minus the part where where you put the rod on the rail to grind the fish up 😉
Hope to fish with you this year Sherm !🤙

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hey guys,

Took my gal up to Ventura Sportfishing and jumped on the Island Spirit for the opener. Full load of 30 mixed passengers. Capt Cody was driving and sorry but I forgot the names of the 3 deckands and cook ( "Fin" was one name I remembered)
Anyway capt said wind was blowing the night before so instead if heading over to the islands, We made a right and headed up the coast to some deep water spots. Said we would be fishing about 400-550 feet deep to start.
I had brought 3 rigs.

1) Dropper Loop -Calstar 800M with Penn Fathom 25N filled with 50lb braid to 20' of 40lb mono. (low gear swap).

2) Slow Pitch-Black Hole Cape Cod Special 662HMF with Shimano 16NA filled with 40lb braid to 10' of 50lb flouro.

3) Slow Pitch-Temple Reef Innovate 80 MH with Accurate Vailant 500N filled with 30lb braid to 10' of 50lb flouro

Conditions were cold and breezy with associated chop for the ride up. Some mild swell in the water and beautiful clear skies. View attachment 1259072
We started fishing and I had my gal start out with the dropper loop with 16oz of wt. I was committed to jigging all day. First drop and all lines scoped way out before hitting bottom. Wind and current were pushing us at around 3mph. Nothing bit on that drop and I quickly switched out the wt on my girls rig to 20 oz and switched my jig from form a teardrop shape to a longer/narrow shape (250g). We re-set and things worked out much better as fish started coming aboard slowly.
My setup changes worked much better and my gal and I were able to get down faster than most other folks using lighter weights. Even with 20oz, the dropper loops were scooping out quite a bit. With a short cast upwind, I was able to hit bottom while still vertical but soon scoped out with the wind/current. Little adjustment to that and it was game on.
We spent the day doing multiple drifts along the stretch of coast with the rest of the day fleet. Typical rockfishing with some drops more productive than others but good fishing. Species seen caught were Reds, Bosco, Bank Perch, Johnny Bass, Canary, Green Spotted, Flag, Starry, Grouper, Chile Peppers, and Lingcod. Heard that a Cowcod was caught and depth released but I didn't see it.View attachment 1259079I did pull up a fish with a red crab in its throat.View attachment 1259080Pinned it on my girls dropper loop and she picked up a nice Chile on it.
Conditions got better and better through out the day with less wind and current and though we didn't have wide open bites, It made for a great day of fishing especially since I was jigging all day and my gal jigged 50% of the time. Limits all around the boat and a nice ride home. View attachment 1259083View attachment 1259084View attachment 1259085
The new capt cook,and crew did a great job with a lot of communication. And customer service was great. I have to give it to Cody. He was a hawk up in the wheel house. Any time a fish came up or a tangle happened, he was calling it out on the PA and the crew was on it Pronto. Made for a great day of fishing instead of the nightmare of tangles it could have been. The crew even made sure everybody stayed on one side of the boat during the morning drifts.
Haven't been on the Island Spirit in a few years but glad to say that Tucker and Cody are running a nice operation !View attachment 1259086View attachment 1259087

View attachment 1259088
be Quite about using ,
20 OZ ,
sinkers ,I can't keep up as it is , making them for people, LOL

Last edited:

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Thanks for the report. I will be out on Saturday bringing my Ed's jigs with me for sure! Hoping to get my first ling early in the season.

My only Ling from last season

1614727398212.png

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Cayman 226
Thanks for the report! I'm looking to break in my Innovate 80MH soon. How do you like the rod and do you wish you had a 2sp Accurate?

Drifting at 400'+ sucks, props to you and your girl for grinding it out and putting fish in the sacks!

Reactions: blubby07

streetnfish

Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
Thanks for the report! I'm looking to break in my Innovate 80MH soon. How do you like the rod and do you wish you had a 2sp Accurate?

Drifting at 400'+ sucks, props to you and your girl for grinding it out and putting fish in the sacks!

The rod is great ! Not because I caught fish, but for how you can work a jig with it. plenty of backbone but the tip action is what separates it from my other rods. I've had it since late 2019. (Thanks Benny) I'm not even going to try and play local expert but when you watch slow pitch videos of experts working a jig, this rod has "that action" for a good range of jigs. My other SP rod works well also but has a different/stiffer action. Both have caught bottom fish, yellows,tuna, and bass. Just different actions.
As for the Accurate reel, it works great also. If you want one for SP make sure to get the "extra long handle". (The new SP model may come with it standard) The extra length helps with cranking power but more also does something for me that improves my rhythm/cadence when attempting to actually work the jig. (Again you would have to ask the experts to explain it).
fishing the deeper depths is really no problem. When I was talking about my L arm getting tired, It was from jigging all day. Back east they often jig 500-1000' I've heard so this was peanuts. Just longer to guess what you hooked and how big it is. No problem grinding fish and never wished for a 2 speed. I have several 2speed reels and to be honest, I have only used 2 speed on tuna over 70lbs. (I do put 4.8 gears in my smaller bait , jig reels however.) Both jigging reels work fine can't say that the accurate is any better that my shimano. Time will tell.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Ha Ha. I wish I could keep one long enough to look like that. I usually donate them the bottom well before that. :p
I did finally lose that one after a couple seasons of 'Nic trips.

Rule #1. Don't get scoped out.
Rule #2. Don't get scoped out.
Rule #3. Don't get scoped out.
Don't swing on rocks.

I fish a fairly stiff rod with 80# spectra and 2-3 feet of 40/50# mono.
Stiff tip to 'pop' the jig loose. Sometimes it actually hammers the hook open.

You'll notice the bottom of the jig is hammered flat. That's from knocking on rocks to get mr. ling to come out and play.
The top is bent from popping it to get it unstuck.

Reactions: streetnfish