2speed reel for Alaska halibut

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by kgpcr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    well, a man's gotta know his limits........

2. Mo

Mo #1 OG, part time Secret Moderator

Name:
    Mo
    Boat:
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    I have seen 100lb Halibut caught on Salmon gear. There is a method to bringing them up. Any braid over 60lb test is over kill. Another plus is using 50lb I can get more line on a smaller reel. I am not sure what I set my drag to but its light, just enough so I can bring the fish up and if she wants to run she can pull line but get no slack from me. I have caught a few Halibut before.

3. kgpcr

kgpcr Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    18' Lund
    The hardest fight with a sea creature i have ever been in was with a Skate that was a good 5ft across. I caught it out of Homer on a high swing tide day when the tide was cooking. Man that was work. It was like pulling a 4x8 sheet of pissed off plywood against a very strong current. I did that with a Fin Nor OFS95. The tide makes all the difference with Halibut as they are much like a skate. Big and flat, now add the tide and its a whole new ball game

4. conor

conor Member

Name:
    Ohana o Kai
    Boat:
    20 ft. Pioneer
    great points by all... I have been using a single speed Avet Lx with 65lb. braid, and a Penn Torque jigging rod. No issues but I am getting a little fancy and switching to Jerry Brown next season. I have been considering switching to a 2spd but havent had a fish yet that has hurt me that bad.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. NorthShore41

NorthShore41 Newbie

I think the Penn VSX line and the Okuma Makaira line should get in a fist fight... what do you think... lol. The two seem to be the big kids on the block eyeballing each other so I guess its only a matter of time... which one will drop the gloves first?

6. jig

jig Newbie

Name:
    jig
    Boat:
    none
    I second the Makaria 10II. I have 300yds JB 60# hollow (ABS high 80's#). Max drag is over 30#. Not budget, but Charkbait has for $440 with free spectra and pliers. I sold the pliers, and consider the line worth $50, so net I figure the reel cost me closer to $350, which is a steal for this reel.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    your are talking about small 2-s reels, I bought an Okuma solterra 20

and now I think it's too big compared with LX, Jx, makairas, etc

what are your thoughts about this reel with 33lb drag and weights 37oz
    its like a penn 4/0 in modern days

8. bendorbreak

bendorbreak Newbie

Name:
    Jeb
    Boat:
    Eddy Cleaver, 21' Seaswirl
    I have used a variety of old school Penn Senators on smaller halibut (to about 90 lbs.) and have never been disappointed. These, of course, are single speed reels. Their great adavantage is their price.

Last year I used both AVET JX and LX reels down in Baja and just fell in love with them. We were fishing abundant 20# Yellowtail and the bite was "on". The high-quality drag sytem made fishing this reel much easier than my Penn reels. I was able to catch more fish, much more comfortably with the AVET. My wife insists I buy her one before we return to Baja - she won't use anything else!! The downside is these reels are much more expensive.

I am planning to fish for Halibut in Canada this summer and will take my new two speed along. I believe the two-speed will make the chore of retrieving the bait or a pesky dogfish much easier and quicker.

9. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I love Avet reels, but can't recommend the LX or JX for halibut. I see many that are fished with 80# spectra for halibut that have fried the right side pinion bearing from using too much drag -- and before you fry the bearing, you'll get pretty serious handle bind. They are 40# or at most 50# reels simply not designed for barn door halibut. Also, the 2 speed versions have a high gear that is too high if you need a couple pounds of lead to get down. The single speed (4.2 to 1) HX is a great halibut reel.

10. conor

conor Member

Name:
    Ohana o Kai
    Boat:
    20 ft. Pioneer
    Bill, Whats your recommendation for drag setting on the LX single speed without the threat of binding it? Have you heard any feedback on the Raptors for big halibut?

11. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    The Raptors have plenty of drag-- but their high gear is too high to be useful. I love my LX raptor but don't use it for halibut...

12. reelguy601

reelguy601 Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    none
    I use a Daiwa Tanacom GS80 Electric for Halibut.
    • Line Capacity (Braided Line) (60LB) 2400 feet, (80LB) 1800 feet
    • Weight 52.4 oz.
    • Max Drag 28#
    • Max Rewind 46#
    • Gear Ratio 2.4:1
    • Automatic Gigging function
    • DC 12V
    • Made in Japan
    • You can find them on Ebay for uner $350 including shipping. I've had mine for three years and wouldn't trade it for any other reel. You power it off a riding lawn mower battery. Full charge will last over two days. Oh, and by the way, I Halibut fish in over 600 feet.

13. mbaiter

mbaiter Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    20' Whaler
    What's up with all the 80# braid. In the Pacific Northwest, I have ended up losing a lot of line and fishing time when I get the occasional snag. Try to hold on and snap that line is impossible. I usually run 30 to 40# max, 100# Flrocarbon leader, set the drag to something I can control and haven't lost a halibut or Lingcod yet due to broken line or a blown reel. I run Penn 340's (one manual and one electramate-I call it the winch!) with no problems. Am I missing something?

14. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    I use 65# braid for halibut but find that most people choose 80#. Thin, non-stretch braid is mandatory given the current and depth. I wouldn't consider 30# or 40# mono for deep bottom fishing, and 30# braid is so think I find it hard to work with.