2hrs south of San Felipe, Baja

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by steelfish, Jan 24, 2018.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Amigos, I got my 1st fishing trip for 2018 on early Jan cuz Im gonna be busy for the next 6 weekends in a row, then Feb is a month of Loco winds so, I might be out from the sea for at least 8 weeks aarrgg, too much windy on late Jan and Feb, specially on weekends, but anyway, good news is that I could went fishing and have a terrific time with friends and caught some fish too.

this time we started the day pretty early, 4am I was on my friend house to help him attach the boat to his truck, half of the trip was still dark outstide until the sun appeared for a great picture to our destination.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my weapons of choice for this trip was (of course) my newest go-to reel Makaira 15 SEa and took my Van Staal VS275 to try some luck on spoons and jigs.
    [​IMG]

first to come to play was a schoolie YT
    [​IMG]

then a Cabrilla and later on another one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then fishing got slow so we moved to another big Island on the zone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

after trying for some time a Big mad Cabrilla put my Mak to scream (just because I was with the drag lever just above position #2 on for an estimate 15#), I use #2 drag position as my "strike" mark, if a fish is taking line I know its a good sized one then I move the lever to real strike mark (on the bump) to fight the fish and get it to the boat faster, according to my scale #2 position is 15# and strike is 25#, position #3 and Full mark are on hold until catching a real big fish.
    [​IMG]

we found some YT eating on the surface so, I quickly grabbed my coffe grinder VS275 but they werent interested on irons, spoons, waxswing I even tried some poppers but no luck, they were eating a really small kind of fish, 2" long and really thin, so no fish for the spinning set-up this time.
    hopefully on the next one, although I just got me a Komodo 364p paired with a shadow stalker inshore rod that will go with me on the next trip to try to get one big mama Grouper or hopefully a nice YT.

fish&snow, jsl, Tackleho619 and 2 others like this.
  2. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Love to catch and eat those Cabrilla.

Tackleho619 likes this.
  3. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    Good to see you got your first trip in. We were at huerfanito the week before. I was there with Tuna Juan and some new friends. Had a BLAST!! We found the yellowtail north by black rock busting on top but because of the surf on Saturday we couldn’t launch so we were chasing them from the beach. One of our group got one on a jig. Got our feet wet on Sunday and went looking for them but couldn’t find them. Bait was everywhere. Clouds of them but no yellowtail. Got a couple of cabrilla casting to the rocks but nothing to write home about. We were looking for the pink Pargo and only found a few. Went out Monday morning again to put some fish in the cooler and killed the spotties. Caught 50 plus on jigs. Everyone was happy. Made some thus past weekend in the deep fry disco. Mmmmmmmmmm a family favorite. Going back down super bowl Sunday. Gonna watch the game at Tano’s camp. Wish us luck.

Worthy likes this.
  4. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    We’re you fishing around gonzaga ?

Worthy likes this.
  5. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    yep, thats what I saw too, tons of bait and saw some YT eating calm here and there not on a feeding frenzy, and they didnt wanted our offerings

you cant never go wrong with deep fried spotties, they taste like chicken LOL, say Hello for me to Tano and his wife Carlota if you see him, tell him Alex from San Felipe say Hi, I used to spend many weekends per year there for many years with friends and family when the road was not pavemented but not anymore, now its too damn crowdy all the time.
    btw, good luck with you team and on the water, I wont be able to fish for 7-9 weeks cuz I got some things to do on mexicali.

Worthy and 2GORDOS like this.
  6. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    yep, 2hrs south SF is gonzaga bay, just another way to say it.
    enchanted islands, 5 islands, gonzaga bay, midriff area, all those names are for the same place.

Worthy likes this.
  7. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    I was there last week. Fished three days found the yellows on two days.

First day found them outside Punta gorda under birds and got some casting Denis’ Deadhead jigs at them before they disappeared. After that dropped to the bottom for pretty good action on corvina.

Second day headed south for cabrilla but the north wind kicked up with big swells and casting was too tough. Fished some reefs for triggers, spotties, golden spots, sculpin, lincod and lots of small yellows on the colt snipers.
    69F9D1C6-590E-4DEE-AEAA-A07ADC70C409.jpeg

Third day headed north to the islands. Found the yellows again but only got one and they just wouldn’t bite no matter what we casted or trolled even though they were feeding aggressively on micro bait. Got virtually nothing at the islands or the nearby reefs. Found the yellows on the way back in and got a few to go on the yo-yo flatfall.

After that the storm came in and the wind blew 40 out of the West for the rest of our trip. Sea was nasty and 17 shrimp boats found safe harbor in the bay for 2 days until it blew through.
    B3E2245D-23FF-4BE3-AC45-5A7EF057929A.jpeg

Stayed in a beachfront casita next to the new hotel at Rancho Grande. Not cheap but clean comfy and fully appointed with kitchen.
    E96E394B-6B70-46F0-9AA5-C597EB37C9BB.jpeg
    91D23E24-EDE7-40BA-96FC-BA132C205C2E.jpeg

Worthy likes this.
  8. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE

9. denis

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    Great reports guys !!

10. denis

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    I’m headed down ther March 15 th with juan if anyone’s headed that way , can’t wsit to throw iron at cabrilla

11. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    great report, thanks, seems like we found the same scenario on the yellows.
    that micro bait should be delicious for them cuz they werent interested on anything else.

Worthy and Oiler Fan like this.
  12. theyuckyone

theyuckyone Newbie

Name:
    Theyuckyone
    Boat:
    NA
    Never been to Gonzaga bay, was thinking about heading there this summer:
    How is the weather in June?
    Anybody have any panga hookups.contacts? I would like to have it confirmed before driving down there.
    How is the cabrilla bite in the June?
    How is the surf fishing in the June?
    Does it get windy in JUne?

Thanks

socalhomies likes this.
  13. CPV

CPV Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    25' Sportcraft
    Can you give me some info on the Rancho Grande casita? I'd love another option from Alfonsinas, but don't know how to get ahold of them. Do you have a contact? Cost? Booking? Anything is helpful. Thanks

14. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    J

June weather is nice prob best of the year IMO

Yes there are pangas available and can be reserved.

Cabrilla bite can be very good in June.

Never tried beach fishing there outside the bay where I’ve only got small halibut and lizard fish

YES the Wind can howl in June. Just depends.

15. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    let me know 2 weeks in advance when you have the dates for your visit on june and I can send you the phones of two friends that have charter service (one of them is the Captn on this report), they know the are, speak english and are honest persons both of them.

June is a good month for fishing, YT might have gone already by that time but Cabrilla will eat the trolling lures or irons, also good time for bottom fishing.
    windy months are only feb and march, the rest of the year is as windy as in everywhere else hit or miss, better to check the forecast few days before leaving your house.

2GORDOS likes this.
  16. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes

Check out Rancho Grande Market on Facebook. Here is contact info if you wanna call but Spanish is necessary to communicate effectively. They book the hotel and casitas at the register in the market which is who also answers the phone.
    03BBFBEA-8FDA-4330-BF59-BFA3B5468CAB.jpeg

They had rooms with two, three and I think four beds. Cost was $100-120 per night. Casitas have one bedroom with king bed and fold out couch in living room and were $150 per night. Here’s some more photos.
    7DE8B702-3C5F-42CE-B134-D97FD1DA2F17.jpeg
    CF9E77B1-BF98-4E37-9D5D-ACE15205589F.jpeg
    AB2D8990-12C4-44A3-93DC-5F6512717C48.jpeg
    6EEA2652-9D0A-48C3-81DC-22A80572964D.jpeg
    B8F6CF5C-E9E9-4B2C-9F69-BC0A6A9EF467.jpeg
    C4450C49-3135-44AE-9FFF-CFD27DD98A0F.jpeg
    6B85C4D6-D296-4CC6-8323-277965E15964.jpeg
    B7357CAF-3890-4E20-AD25-889603760642.jpeg

Tackleho619 likes this.
  17. 2GORDOS

2GORDOS Member

Name:
    ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
    Boat:
    22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
    Alex is right on the wind. Hit or miss. We were down there last year in May and were stuck on shore for 4 days because of the wind. Fished one day and killed it. Went back in June and did real good on the cabrilla.