duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Figured parking would be a nightmare for the first day of lobster season. It was.

Launched Glorietta bay at 5am. All the good parking spots were taken except for 2 that people double parked in. Parked on street parking.

Goal was to inshore fish and then come back and grab hoops for the evening. Skipped the bait barge and proceeded to bounce around point lloma and IB. Lots of calico. 0 sandies. Double limits of 6 to 8 poind bonito but we only kept 4 for lobster bait. Caught a 30 inch halibut right out side of the shipping lanes point lloma side. Halibut bit a Kman special... well more like inhaled. Not the typical hali bite.

Bonito were all meth'd up. They were biting lead heads, surface iron, anything really.

Eventually 3pm rolled around so we went back to the ramp and hoofed the hoops from my truck to the boat and left for the zone. Loaded bait tubes with fresh mildly sunburnt bonito and started dropping baited hoops at 6:30pm.

Started pulling at 7. First hour and a half was slow. 4 legals. Then DFG snuck up and asked to board my boat. Cool ok. After they left we finished the set and then things picked up. Left at 930pm with 12 legals. My buddy had to work Sunday so the decision was made to skip on hunting for 2 more bugs.

Hooping the opener was more about watching the shit show than actually getting any bugs but it worked out. I consider it a weird holiday where everyone hates everyone else as soon as the hoops splash and god forbid if you beat someone else to their favorite spot. Plus the parking lot fights are entertaining as well.

20180929_230454.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

willit float

Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
20' Livesay Offshore Utility
Figured parking would be a nightmare for the first day of lobster season. It was.

Launched Glorietta bay at 5am. All the good parking spots were taken except for 2 that people double parked in. Parked on street parking.

Goal was to inshore fish and then come back and grab hoops for the evening. Skipped the bait barge and proceeded to bounce around point lloma and IB. Lots of calico. 0 sandies. Double limits of 6 to 8 poind bonito but we only kept 4 for lobster bait. Caught a 26 inch halibut right out side of the shipping lanes point lloma side. Halibut bit a Kman special... well more like inhaled. Not the typical hali bite.

Bonito were all meth'd up. They were biting lead heads, surface iron, anything really.

Eventually 3pm rolled around so we went back to the ramp and hoofed the hoops from my truck to the boat and left for the zone. Loaded bait tubes with fresh mildly sunburnt bonito and started dropping baited hoops at 6:30pm.

Started pulling at 7. First hour and a half was slow. 4 legals. Then DFG snuck up and asked to board my boat. Cool ok. After they left we finished the set and then things picked up. Left at 930pm with 12 legals. My buddy had to work Sunday so the decision was made to skip on hunting for 2 more bugs.

Hooping the opener was more about watching the shit show than actually getting any bugs but it worked out. I consider it a weird holiday were everyone hates everyone else as soon as the hoops splash and god forbid if you beat someone else to their favorite spot. Plus the parking lot fights are entertaining as well.

View attachment 967865
Very nice, the parking mess keep me away from there.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Great job adding those 12 legal Lobster to the nice Halibut!

Upvote 0

Fish Asassin

one cast = one kill
May 16, 2012
San Diego / Baja
Name
Fred Garvin
Boat
U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
Why is it that the police cannot search your vehicle without probable cause, but the DFG can? The US constitution doesnt apply to boats?

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Have not hooped the open for many years do to the shit show that goes on every year! Heading out next week sometime.

Reactions: ja73
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Very nice job, congratulations!

Upvote 0