29' express with single drive?

Discussion in 'Fishing Boats For Sale Classified Ads' started by MobilHomey, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MobilHomey

MobilHomey Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack Open
    I'm considering putting an offer on a boat (see link below) however it only has one engine/drive setup. After doing some research I have noted that it seems that 90% of the boats in the 28 to 29' range have dual power/drive setups.

I'm thinking I can go straight okay, I'm just wondering if I'll have problems moving 10,000 lbs around at fuel docks, moorings and slips with a single drive. It also has a jack shaft set up so if anyone has good/bad experience or information on that would be cool.

Long Beach Yacht Sales , Long Beach CA

2. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Thats a NICE boat. Lots of singles out there you just have to learn to use them.
    I love those boats and the way things are with $$ you could make one hell of a deal.
    And yes you can take me out to kill some if you get it.
    Good luck

3. fishnazzi

fishnazzi Mostly just LURKING anymore...........

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Which one.............
  4. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. BillP

BillP Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    nons
    I/O duoprop is a hell of a lot easier to handle than a straight inboard. When docking think ahead, also think about your thrust angles, especially in reverse. Looks like a great economical boat to run.

6. fishnazzi

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Which one.............
    I think the singles handle just fine. Compared to a few I've run this one would be very nice. My only worry would be the outdrive itself. High maintenance ............ I've never felt like out drives were a good thing. Had one a llllloooonggg time ago a volvo. IMO either an inboard or an outboard..................not both(I/O)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  7. SOUTHWEST

SOUTHWEST Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    27 Albemarle
    Dan: I have the same boat and it is 27 ft. 3" (as I remember on the Coast Guard nameplate) not 29'. It's 29' with the bow pulpit. It's also going to be closer to 14,000 lb. with full fuel, 45 gallon bait tank, ice, 3 guys and gear, etc. I have the twin setup and it's relatively easy to handle by myself, which is what you may do a lot if it is slipped and hasn't been run in a few weeks. "They" say an I/O is easier to operate than a straight shaft on a single outboard so my initial impression is you will be o.k. That said, there is one 28 ft. single (straight drive) and another 26 ft. single (not sure if it's straight or i/o) close to my slip and they both have bow thrusters. I've seen them in action and it makes it just as easy to dock as a twin. I think they are like $6k installed, though, so the savings from the single evaporates.

The problem with any boat with an enclosure is once you put it into neutral you lose control and you become a sail boat. Even with twins I aim for a spot on the dock in gear and once I shift to neutral I have 15 seconds to tie up or hold the boat to the dock or else I'm going to hit my neighbor.

I too worry about and i/o or jackshaft in the water, but I wonder how much is myth and how much is reality.

I think a D6 new w/outdrive is probably $37k (Last yr. I was quoted $32k for a 260/D4 with outdrive when I was pricing a downsized boat), so at $79k it's almost like you are getting the hull for free.

8. sean pg85

sean pg85 Newbie

Name:
    sean childs
    Boat:
    20 skipjack
    lets see here. single diesel vs. 2. twin diesels= lots of $$$. single diesel, singular problems. less money in every way and these days if you want to actually Use the boat a single makes much more sense. docking?? train yourself no matter how many times it takes you to get. you will be so much happier with a lower cost of usage boat than a twin engine headache. the boat obviously isnt cheap so im sure you can afford either but telling your wife gas was $700 to fill up and lasts you a couple trips versus filling up every other time is much easier also. that engine will do just fine on a boat that size. and the effiency of a duoprop versus direct drive is better also. a flat engine lasts a hell of alot longer than one at a permanent angle. just my 2 cents. a good boat is easy to maintain, effiecient, easy driving and mechanically simple. i would believe this would very easy to maintain. and if docking really was that hard get an end slip. if i had the choice id go single for simplicity. sorry im done:hali_olutta:

9. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    Looking at that boat close and the way its rigged its a steal at that price. The D6-330 alone is close to 50K and it looks clean. Appears that it has the older navnet 1's 1700 series and simrad A/P. If the boat is clean I would jump on that at that price. D6-330 has enough HP and Torque for that boat, no problem!

10. fishnazzi

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Which one.............
    Wow fuel is the least of the worries. Price the out drive rebuild..........because it will happen and sooner then 1 would think.........if the boat is used to fish a lot during the season. If the boat was a single inboard..........I would jump on board with the cheaper to run crowd. As far as the engine "lasting longer" because it is not an angle..............unless it is only run in the parking lot...............last time I was out I watched the angle of my boat up swell down swell rolling in the stop..............seemed it was level some of the time.............as much as a "level" engine.

Same engine mounted in an inboard configuration to an I/O configuration can should and does have the ability to have a larger capacity oil pan. Really I think that argument is well, off point and just funny.:rofl: :rofl:

11. TravisAZ

TravisAZ Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Favorite Mistake
    I own a 25' cruiser with a volvo stern drive duo prop setup. It absolutely has a mind of its own around the docks. Wind + current = fun for the spectators, ESPECIALLY in reverse. Typically in reverse, the bow goes port, no matter which way I have the wheel turned. Alot of that has to do with my throttle control lever, it is pretty stiff (planning on checking it out this weekend) so it is hard to finesse the boat through the prop thrust and not go tearing backwards.

Frankly I was thninking about hiring a real captian to teach me how to back this thing up. Ive only got about 50 hours at the helm, and this is my first boat - so gauge your own experience from there...

12. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    Looking at this boat again the drive looks like it needs a bit of attention. Why do people leave their IO's in the water I will never understand! Get the trailer and keep this boat out of a slip! Still overall a great deal with the repower and the electronics!

13. ulitmifitm

ulitmifitm Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    None
    My 28'had duals, never touched the steering wheel, not even when loading on the trailer. It's a way better set up in the long run. Plus you have two engines, a spare so to speak. Fuel economy anything over 1.5 NMPG is good whether single or dual setup in a larger boat. Docking was a snap. the boat would spin on it's heels.Now the shaft drives are a lil more finesse as they are slower to respond to your action by a second or so. You get used to that also. My 28 I played by myself around a floating object a few times till I got used to it.It comes quick and before long you'll be able to put it anywhere.Both those boats are sweet. I personally would go for the dual. Alot of very pricey things come along with that boat.

14. MobilHomey

MobilHomey Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack Open
    Thanks to all for your input...! What I surmise is that dual drives is good but having a single isn't a deal breaker and I'll be paying half the gas and half the service. Also there was some issue with the outdrive being in the water all the time, well I've had my 20 skip for 14 years, always in the water and never had a problem with the 290 outdrive. Guys this is a fricken brand new boat that I hope to steal from them. Wish me luck.

15. SOUTHWEST

SOUTHWEST Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    27 Albemarle
    >>What I surmise is that dual drives is good but having a single isn't a deal breaker and I'll be paying half the gas and half the service.<<

It won't be half the gas (never mind it's diesel); it takes the same horsepower to plane a 14,000 lb. boat regardless if it has 1 engine or 2 engines. There is probably some additional efficiency with a duo-prop vs. a straight drive but you are not going to get 3.0 nmpg planing 14,000 lbs. (yours might be closer to 13k as I notice it has 172 gallons vs. my 260 and your engine is probably 300 lbs. lighter than 2 of mine). I'm getting 1.7 nmpg but I troll a lot.

I have 2-175 hp diesels and you have one 350. I suspect you use the same amount of oil and coolant on one engine as I do 2 engines. You also have 6 injectors and I have 8. 2 oil filters and 2 fuel filters cost me $120, you will probably be close to that with 1 oil filter and 1 fuel filter. I'll have more labor to do 2, but we may be splitting hairs here given that I can swap parts from one to the other for some basic troubleshooting (done this many times).

Net-net the docking manners and safety in redundancy features of the twin sold me for my applications, but the simplicity of a single has its own quiet elegance. Kind of tomato/tomahto, but clearly not black or white.

16. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    get a quality survey, buy the boat, then learn how to operate your boat.

pretty standard stuff.

every boat has its particular quirks. learn how your boat handles in tight, low-speed situations. reverse with an outdrive works better with the outdrive up a little bit. plus, there is no cutlass bearing dripping water into the bilge every 8-10 times per minute.

17. dudefishsn

dudefishsn Newbie

Name:
    ron
    Boat:
    20ft whaler outrage
  18. s//m_cinco

s//m_cinco Member

Name:
    X
    Boat:
    X

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  19. SOUTHWEST

SOUTHWEST Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    27 Albemarle
    >>Tom, excellent setup you have. I think I have a similar single (KAD32) in my Farallon given the specs you have here (you didn't say if it was I/O or not). Doubles on yours for that powerhead must be awesome.>>

Mine are Yanmar 175 hp and are direct drives. They weigh 900 lbs. each + tranny of 100 lbs. So 2,000 lbs.; I think a D6-350 is 1500 ish plus 200 for the jackshaft package but good luck finding Volvo weights.

<<The other boat has twin TAMD41. I think if it were like yours, Tom, no question yours is the superior setup for all the reasons (why I use two of every reel). But the twin TAMD41 on the other boat is much heavier (~<700lbs) than the D4-350. And much older technology.>>

I fished on one of these one day (27 ft. albemarle w/twin 41s); caught a 55-lb. big eye that day! 200 hp each side made for a much faster cruise (24 kt.); mine is about 27 kt. tops but keep in mind a have a tower and some other crap that the boat in question doesn't have.

>>My sense is (I may be wrong but this is what I've heard), you're not doing much troubleshooting on the Volvo D series other than whether it starts or not then taking it to the mechanic. Those new D series burn very clean and are extremely powerful and efficient.>>

Agreed. The electronic has little or no smoke (a big deal!) but my mechanical doesn't need a battery to run.

BTW, I was looking at a Farallon as a possible next boat that I could keep at a future home (good time to buy a house w/enough land for a boat). They seem like a good deal until you start pricing the diesel (that's when I was quoted $32k for a D4-260 for the 25/26 footer). So if I do eventually trailer a boat (again) maybe I will buy a used Farallon (low inventory though) or a Davis (good used inventory but more Channel Islands design).

20. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    I sold my boat in 2005 and now go LR fishing. But my two cents... I like two engines. I've had engine failure out at sea and man, it's nice to have a second one to come back home.