Dang man. That looks terrific.

Reactions: AllanPalmerson
Oct 1, 2013
Oakville,WA
Name
Allan
Boat
Osprey 26 LC / 20 Willie Predator/ 16 Willie DB/ ARSC Guadalupe
Great product, did you roll over the existing product?
I ground off any flaking/loose stuff and rolled over what was left that seemed to be stuck on good. Outside deck is next and is bare metal in many places. I'm grinding it down and going to acid etch first.

Oct 1, 2013
Oakville,WA
Name
Allan
Boat
Osprey 26 LC / 20 Willie Predator/ 16 Willie DB/ ARSC Guadalupe
Did you use the blue stucco roller for that nice looking application?
No I didn't here but probably should have. I will try those on the rest of the deck. This was with a basic roller and brush... It works ok but you have to go over it multiple times to get a halfways even distribution of the grit.

Vek

Jan 17, 2008
Blaine
Name
Jerry
Boat
28' Almar
The deck nonskid on mine was coming off in sheets, so I had a boatyard do a coarse sandblast on the deck and swimstep of my rig. Big blaster, coarse grit, and make sure to do a good job of masking! That stuff gets everywhere. Very grippy on xtratufs and other footwear, and cleans up super easy. OCD types won't like the initial mottled look or the faded future uneven mottled look of gray and slightly darker gray, but it's not offensive to the eye in my opinion, and would look pretty damn cool if one took the time to mask the deck plate edges and such.

Don't assume that the boatyard folk have the right equipment just because they paint aluminum. I went in to my deck blast deal pretty ignorant...the boatyard did too. After spending hours and hours trying to blast off the remaining nonskid with their weenie prep blaster and weenie grit, they rented a big one with a big compressor, then tried to pass the cost of their hours and hours of farting around onto me.

I had the I/O cover deck plate for mine made by the guy who did my bracket, but I took that plate to the local loud-talker half-deaf sandblast guy who knows what he's doing, and had that blasted before install as that was done a year or two after the main deck sandblast effort. His job was more even, but that's all he does for a living.

I don't have the bucks or desire for a new boat build, but if I did, my deck, cabin, gunwale, bracket and roof nonskid would be sandblasted. Anywhere that might see a wet foot.

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    looking great nice to know that you are cleaning her up we on float 12 have high expectations LOL