28 Foot Force Project

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Coming right along. Looking good. Can't wait until I can gel coat. I give u credit for using the PVA. I just add wax and it's done. I think you said that you've had problems with the wax, but for me it's the only way I've done it. Good luck and hopefully you can splash her soon.

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
Coming right along. Looking good. Can't wait until I can gel coat. I give u credit for using the PVA. I just add wax and it's done. I think you said that you've had problems with the wax, but for me it's the only way I've done it. Good luck and hopefully you can splash her soon.
Yeah, with the surfacing agent if you are unhappy with the finish or don't cover everything completely, do you have to sand it back down or can you just wipe acetone on it to remove the wax? How do you know you are getting it all off? Will the wax re-rise to the surface if you shoot another layer on after it's cured? I can't see the wax. While it is more expensive, the PVA is green so I can be confident I removed it all if I do another layer. Also, what about when you do multiple batches that overlap some? Does the wax from the partially-cured first batch rise to the surface after you spray on the the later batches? Just so many questions I was not sure of answers to. I'm sure it works good under the right circumstances, but the surfacing agent wax did not work for me the first time I tried to use it. So, I just use PVA because I like being able to see it and it always works for me. With the PVA you can just wash it off and do another coat with no sanding. With the PVA it ALWAYS cures as long as I do it 10-15 min after I'm done spraying.

Last edited:

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
I decided I am done spraying on the inside of the boat. The few smudges that exist are pretty minor and I'm just going to touch those up with a brush. Even if it's not museum-quality, it's all white and that's all that matters. It's the inside of da boat anyway. Everything seems to have cured really well overnight.

I'll be touching the smudges up tomorrow then prepping to put the cab on. After the cab is in place, I'm going to finish making the hull all nice and pretty. After the cab is on, it's decision time as to whether I'm gonna leave it setup for twin Volvo/Yanmar outdrives or add an extension and go v-drive with a single Cummins 6BT and a kicker. Right now I am leaning towards the single Cummins as it will be cheaper and more efficient in the long run. I also like the idea of having an extension for diving and also having a kicker.

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
Keawe smoking a couple turkeys and getting some beer and a handful of physically-capable guys tomorrow to lift the cab into place. Estimate the cab to weigh 600 pounds, so trying to get at least 6-7 people to help lift. The plan to do an underhand lift onto the barrels, then an overhand lift onto the back of the boat. I screwed 2x4's to the gunnels so we can just slide the cab all the way forward without damaging anything. Once the cab is forward, I am hoping we can just lift it into place and bolt it on.

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
A month or two here, a month or two there... Here we are 2.5 years after I got the boat and I finally got the cab bolted on. I bribed 8 of my good friends with a bunch of smoked turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and beer. It only took 30 minutes to lift the cab in place, then an hour and a half to drill holes and bolt it down. The thing that took the longest was cleaning up all the excess 5200 that squeezed out. It cleaned up really nice, and I used a shit load of glue too. With 28 5/16 bolts and 2 1/2 tubes of 5200, this thing isn't going anywhere. Solid as a rock when you stand on top and shake it, and the vertical support bars aren't even on yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: justfishin89

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
Thanks for the kind words.

This boat is NOT MY BOAT, but I found some pics of a boat on Craigslist of a Force which has a single Cummins/v-drive setup with an extension on the back. This is basically what I'm trying to do... Good inspiration.

Looks well balanced to me...

Last edited:

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
So, it's decision time I guess. Because of the price and availability of parts, I think I am gonna go single Cummins. I guess the next step is to put most of the hardware on and find an extension.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Got one in my truck and love it. That boat is sick. Did you call up force and ask how much the extension is, might be worth it. Good luck with the build. Just been grinding the hull with mine. Alot of resin to take out.

Last edited:

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
Writing an email to Kobelt to see if I can just get the replacement parts for the throttle station instead of having to buy a whole new one:

--------------------------
Hi,

I am restoring a 28 foot boat that capsized and it has some Kobelt controls on it that are a little dinged up but look like they just need a few parts.

I tried looking for a model number, but I do not see one anywhere. I am hoping you can identify the model by the attached pictures.

This is the downstairs unit for a twin engine dual station setup.

I see three things that appear broken. The main structure and most of it looks in good shape. Please have a look at the pictures to see some of the damaged items. You might see something I do not.

It is obviously missing one of the chains as well as the end connectors for the chain. It is also missing one of the top springs, although I might as well replace both springs while I'm at it.

Also, there are 4 broken u-clamps on the bottom where the cables connect.

If I can replace these parts, it looks like everything else is in really good shape and just needs a polish.

Can you just ship me these parts? Or do I have to send it in or what? I live in Hawaii. Shipping is expensive so I'd rather just have the parts sent here if possible.

-------------------------------

Hopefully they reply with some good news...

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
Got the venturi bolted on and glued on with black 5200. Fingers are gonna be black for a week but it came out pretty good.

Got bored yesterday and decided to see if the bimini would fit. Fits perfect which is lucky since I changed the width of the flybridge.

I'm gonna wait until the boat is ready to get on the water before I really install the bimini. It's in such good shape... basically brand new. I even taped towels around the fabric before I threw it under the house a couple years ago to keep it in good condition. Gonna keep it wrapped up out of the sun until the time comes. The guy said he spend a grand on the bimini and it was thrown in with the cabin/flybridge package I got so I'm stoked on it right now. The whole bridge is shaded and I think I'll still be able to work a rod off the back. One day might even get some plastic to enclose the front of the bridge but for now, I got other shit to do.

Last edited:

808 fab

Nov 1, 2012
kailua
Name
ryan
Boat
MAKANA KAI II
I HAVE A OLDER CUMMINS 6BT LOTS OF NEW PARTS STARTER,ALTERNATOR, BELT, FUEL PUMP, RAW WATER PUMP, AIR FILTER, OIL FILTER, FUEL FILTER AND A FRESH COAT OF WHITE PAINT.... BOUGHT IT FOR A PROJECT BUT I MIGHT BE GOING TO A DIFFERENT BOAT THAT IS FINISHED. THE ENGINE AND THE 23' ALIKAI MIGHT BE FOR SALE. JUST I THOUGHT FOR YOU, I'M IN THE MOTOR $5,000 AND $2000 IN THE BOAT

HelluvaBoater

Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
I HAVE A OLDER CUMMINS 6BT LOTS OF NEW PARTS STARTER,ALTERNATOR, BELT, FUEL PUMP, RAW WATER PUMP, AIR FILTER, OIL FILTER, FUEL FILTER AND A FRESH COAT OF WHITE PAINT.... BOUGHT IT FOR A PROJECT BUT I MIGHT BE GOING TO A DIFFERENT BOAT THAT IS FINISHED. THE ENGINE AND THE 23' ALIKAI MIGHT BE FOR SALE. JUST I THOUGHT FOR YOU, I'M IN THE MOTOR $5,000 AND $2000 IN THE BOAT
Was that the same engine in kona that was on craigslist 1-2 months ago that was missing the heat exchanger or something? Is it running and how many hours are on it? How many HP? Let me know I might come out there for a look.

808 fab

Nov 1, 2012
kailua
Name
ryan
Boat
MAKANA KAI II
Was that the same engine in kona that was on craigslist 1-2 months ago that was missing the heat exchanger or something? Is it running and how many hours are on it? How many HP? Let me know I might come out there for a look.
No and its on Oahu just had the heat exchanger test and repaired $300 bucks ouch. it starts right up had been sitting in my friends garage for years. put some fuel in and it ran good never ran it to long but now I can got all the cooling parts in and ready to go new hoses water pump clamps list never ends. but im rebuilding my alii kai and my wife is over it and gave me a green light to buy a nice finished boat. I spent $1500 on the motor this month. 210 hp cummins 6bt 1986-1990ish hours 4000 range

High Flier

Nov 16, 2014
Name
Keola
Boat
Kanake
Looks awesome Helluva!
Down the road in Kihei if you need another lift? lol!
Like the diesel idea as well.

peshooter

Waterman
Sep 22, 2008
Fountain Valley
Name
Eric
Boat
33 Blackfin- Never Again II
Aloha,
Been following this thread for a long time, awesome job so far!:appl: Looking forward to more updates.
Mahalo