Almost A Member
Jun 23, 2008
Federal Way WA
Name
Dan Berg
Boat
22ft Arima Bears Den
I am looking at a 2007 Skagit Orca 27XLC with twin Yamaha 150
Looking for reviews or opinions good or bad I have never rode on one. Its a nice clean boat
Thanks

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Those are good boats! Lots of cabin, if that’s what you want... Sounds a little light on HP.... twin 150’s on a 27’ glass boat sounds like some found a deal on 150’s or cheaped out....I would expect 200 or 250’s.....

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Built similarly to SeaSport. At some point the Wright Bros, who own SeaSport, started building Skagits, not sure when that was. I’ve got twin 150’s on my 24-ft SeaSport Explorer (long cabin). Same power on a 27 will probably be just-adequate. I wouldn’t say “Way” underpowered.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Only 26’8”, 8.5 beam and 6000lbs with motor, twin 150s should be entirely adequate.

nicely appointed boats especially with OBs. I’d like to see a little more beam personally.

Reactions: richardblufin
    Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Will cut amazing through chop. Will dive a slice a bit in trailers and big swells. Definitely underpowered

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    They ride good into a head sea and like many deep vee designs are hard to keep level when running in relatively flat water as they tend to want to ride on one side of the vee or the other. I would imagine they could be a handful in a big following but have no firsthand experience with that. I spent a couple days driving one out of Valdez. Overall they are good boats.

Upvote 0

MarMax

Almost A Member
    Dec 19, 2010
    So Cal
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Parker 2530
    If your weight is similar to a Parker 2530 then the twin F150's should be adequate. Twin F200's would be ideal but not necessary. My F150's are 2007 and I did replace the SWS 3-blade props with Turbo 4-blades and it really improved things overall with just a slight loss at top speed which I rarely run anyway.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    They ride good into a head sea and like many deep vee designs are hard to keep level when running in relatively flat water as they tend to want to ride on one side of the vee or the other. I would imagine they could be a handful in a big following but have no firsthand experience with that. I spent a couple days driving one out of Valdez. Overall they are good boats.

interesting you say that. We had one running near us back when I had my 25 Grady out of la push. I kept noticing that it would run for a while listing heavy to port then it would list heavy to starboard for a while. The sailfish had twin 150s not sure what the orca had for power or if the captain had much experience in handling but they were wallowing a lot and we pulled away.

Upvote 0

frozenherring

Frozenherring
    Feb 5, 2011
    Seattle, USA
    Name
    Mario
    Boat
    Omega Three
    These aren’t that bad in the following and do take some trim work.
    that boat does fine with the 8.1/DP combo which is 390hp/550tq and a lot of blade in the water.
    07’ Twin 150’s is very much underpowered for offshore work with all the people, ice, tuna, bait etc your gonna have room for in my opinion, those motors don’t have the muscle to keep you SET on a sporty bar crossing IMO

thats a badass boat though, and if your staying in the PS or SJI that’s plenty of HP.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    I would imagine twin counter rotating outboards would help keep the ride more level. The one I drove had a single i/o duo prop setup. All single i/o duo prop Seasports I have been on do the same thing, requiring almost constant input of wheel and tabs to keep a level cruise. Just when you get it all trimmed out somebody shifts their weight and the dance starts all over again.

Reactions: fishing fanatic
    Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I would imagine twin counter rotating outboards would help keep the ride more level. The one I drove had a single i/o duo prop setup. All single i/o duo prop Seasports I have been on do the same thing, requiring almost constant input of wheel and tabs to keep a level cruise. Just when you get it all trimmed out somebody shifts their weight and the dance starts all over again.

Similar experience on my twin-powered SeaSport. On-plane, she’s tender to weight distribution. I’ve gotten used to using the trim tabs to compensate.

Upvote 0

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    Similar experience on my twin-powered SeaSport. On-plane, she’s tender to weight distribution. I’ve gotten used to using the trim tabs to compensate.
    Same with my Seasport. You get used to keeping your right hand on the tabs. My number one fishing buddy drives me crazy - get her trimmed just right and he gets up and moves, ok, reset and now trimmed right and ......he moves. " For Christ sake find one place to sit!"..

Following seas fine as long as you have the tabs up. Learned that lesson a long time ago but the lesson involved a lot of clenching on a long ride in from the west side of Swiftsure in a big following swell. I drank like 4 beers in 30 mins after tying up to knock back the anxiety. Lesson learned.

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    I saw one of these that had the fly bridge and was being trailered. Was just amazed on how big it seemed for being listed as a 27. Similar pic of one attached.

Attachments

• 73A2C5D6-3A78-4A7E-A777-D45856C4C04D.jpeg
      73A2C5D6-3A78-4A7E-A777-D45856C4C04D.jpeg
      55.8 KB · Views: 81
    Upvote 0

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ferndale
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Parker 2520 XL
    I have twin 150’s on Parker 2520 and has plenty of power. It is a very heavy boat. My model is not the deep V though and therefore doesn’t need as much power as the deep V, but I would think you would get by on 150’s if propped right. But take it for a sea trial and see what it can do and check out the outboards thoroughly before making any decisions as it may be under powered and working the engines too hard is not good. They are sweet boats though! Is it like the one above in the picture with a flying bridge?

Upvote 0

bajapro

Almost A Member
    Oct 4, 2009
    banning, ca
    Name
    jim crosby
    Boat
    216 cabo cuddycon
    fished one in the pnw and found the boat to be incredable in all aspects. was powered by twin 225 hondas. fished it every year for three months and thought it was the best offshore boat available. don't underpower the boat, expect to put lots of fish aboard. we got a little over 2.0 mpg. did not see any problems of stability. pulled the big block out and added the hondas. big block got 1.2 mpg. big increase in range.

Upvote 0