clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Caught a dozen mini macs with sabiki rigs at Dana Point and headed offshore on a discovery mission to 279 and 209 banks. Day was over cast and water temperature was within a one degree range of 68 to 69 F in our trip. No birds, no dolphins, no kelp paddies to be found on the way, lifeless. Started trolling tuna clones around 209 bank and spotted a marlin tailing on the surface. While my son stealthily approached the marlin within casting distance of live bait, I reeled in all the trolling lines and baited a mackeral as our offering. In a bobbing ocean with no site reference, it is hard to maintain an eye on a small marlin fin but my son kept his hand pointed straight at the tail while maneuvering our boat just like in a man-overboard scenario. I cast my mackeral out and did not seem to impress the marlin so I retrieved it and cast it out again to about three feet in front of the marlin and yet I got no reaction. I was afraid the marlin would sink if we got too close but it didn't. Now my mind is with bewilderment as to why the marlin has not sunk or reacted, maybe it is sick, injured or dead? So we approached closer and discovered it was a decoy left by some prankster! We bursted into laughter as our adrenalin was at its peak and it definitely was the highlight of the day. We retrieved the decoy onto the boat as it is a navigational hazard especially in the dark. It had black painted wood carved into a fin and supported by pvc pipe to keep it upright. Since there was no marine growth on it, I suspect this was recently planted in the area, maybe to fool the skippers in the recent marlin tournament? So that was the catch of the day from 209!

We then headed towards Oceanside and found many very small kelp paddies around a couple feet wide and one larger patty around 10 feet wide but nothing holding except some small bait fish. Picked up some rockfish as consolation for the day around Box Canyon before heading back to Dana Point. :rofl: :(

No Marlin.JPG

Marlin Decoy.JPG

Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 12, 2010
    Lb inshore
    Name
    Simmo
    Boat
    19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
    Funny i think this happened a few years ago and OH boy did it get fun. Thinking popcorn but lets just see

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Hahahaha. Awesome

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

angelinasdad

Captain
    May 23, 2006
    HB
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Another trick is to dump a bag of popcorn in your wake to draw in all the other boats from a distance when they see the following bird activity... while you leave the area.

Reactions: halibutslayer
    Upvote 0