100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Kayak
Magnum is ok if you are going to spend the money and install a brake. My .300 win mag shoots like a .30-06 with a custom brake on it. Without a brake go with .30-06 or .270.

Reactions: Vermonster

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat
    Seacraft 20
    This is a little old but whatever... if the kid is a good enough shot the 243 is still plenty good enough... it is my go to rifle from bench rest match shooting to hunting... I have no experience in elk hunting but I no with a properly place bullet the 243 will suck the life right out of big mule deer and big white tail.. I have skillet flipped both with a 243... and wouldn’t think twice about taking a elk down with it... now depending on we’re I go hunting and how much I have to hike I will sometime swap out my 243 for my model 7 260 just because it’s so light and easy to pack...
    And that would also be my recommendation on a rifle for your kid i am a bias Remington guy so take it for what it is... the model seven is perfect for a teen and even better for a adult that doesn’t have the luxury of sitting in a tree all day.. they are light so they will thump you

tunakid4321

May 17, 2004
    Malibu/San Diego/Boise
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    None
    I have been on 25 ish elk hunts with elk killed.

Bull Elk are tougher than you think.

Don’t even think about using a .243.

6.5 is too light.

.270 is marginal

7mag is much better

30-06 is good

.300 wsm and .300 mag and up are the right tools for the job.

You can kill an elk with any rifle and a perfectly placed shot, but you want a gun that can break the front shoulder and get deep in the lungs, or a gun that can anchor an elk when he gets buck fever and shoots it in the hind quarters.

The answer is the biggest gun he can he can shoot consistently.

And make sure he knows, you keep shooting and elk until it drops.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    6.5 Creed will kill elk just fine if you reload, there are great options of bullets out there now that you can't obtain in factory rounds (like the 156 gr Berger). Although Hornady Precision 143 ELDX will do the job. If you're planning to shoot factory round, 7mm will be my pick. Just install a good brake like the Little Bastard and put on electronic muff. Should have some kind of hearing protection on before you shoot anyways, no money in the world can buy your ears back.

Not sure what is your budget, but a Tikka 6.5 PRC for 1200, shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDX is lethal for elk if recoil is something that is in consideration.

Upvote 0

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
    Palmdale, CA
    www.ebay.com
    Name
    Curtis Wright
    Boat
    Kayak
    Thanks for the replies guys. I actually have a 30-06 back in Vermont I could bring out here, that would solve my issue. He could shoot the 308 or 06 and see what he likes.
    I've taken a bunch of pigs, deer, axis deer, five elk, two moose and a caribou with a . 30-06 and . 308. Both are great calibers and will get the job done on an elk.

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    I have been on 25 ish elk hunts with elk killed.

Bull Elk are tougher than you think.

Don’t even think about using a .243.

6.5 is too light.

.270 is marginal

7mag is much better

30-06 is good

.300 wsm and .300 mag and up are the right tools for the job.

You can kill an elk with any rifle and a perfectly placed shot, but you want a gun that can break the front shoulder and get deep in the lungs, or a gun that can anchor an elk when he gets buck fever and shoots it in the hind quarters.

The answer is the biggest gun he can he can shoot consistently.

And make sure he knows, you keep shooting and elk until it drops.
    I have cleanly killed 20 elk, numerous deer and moose with a pawnshop 30-06 I bought in 1996. My wife has killed 10+ elk, antelope, moose and bighorn sheep with her .270 without issues. Even a 30-06 has a lot of recoil for a novice shooter, don't go crazy with magnums! It is a cliché, but practice and knowing your limits are the key to making ethical, killing shots.

Upvote 0

DeeDee

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 18, 2012
    tampa/Fl/Hillsborough
    Name
    Harbison
    Boat
    Florida Fisherman
    Go with a 7mm Remington Magnum or .300 Winchester Magnum for Elk at a minimum. If you plan to hunt larger game in the Future like Moose or Brown Bear go with a .338 Win Mag.
    Excellent advice. Shot a 7mm BAR for decades. Extremely accurate & powerful.
    I harvested the deer in Maine, the elk in New Mexico:

Both were in heavy snow hundreds of yards away. My 7mm mag put them down & kept them there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    For a youngster, even 30-06 will be a lot of gun. I think that a .308 loaded with 165‘s is probably the best bet. That being said, elk are tough critters, a shot through the shoulder is needed to put them down.

Upvote 0

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
    Palmdale, CA
    www.ebay.com
    Name
    Curtis Wright
    Boat
    Kayak
    .270 put these two down yesterday in the A zone. The last two were with .308 as well as the hog

IMG_20210904_075226680.jpg

IMG_20210906_085830672.jpg

IMG_20210905_145812620.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Vermonster
    Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    As a father, uncle, lifelong hunter and student of the rifle, here's my take...
    The best rifle for your boy is the one he's most comfortable with. If he's nervous or uncomfortable with a particular rifle, his ability to shoot fast and accurately is going to be compromised. This is the last thing he needs. Dead game is all about three things...
    Shot placement, shot placement, and shot placement. That, and bullet construction.
    Modern ammunition technology is such you can find bullets of the appropriate construction for anything from mice to moose. It all comes down to his ability to put a bullet exactly where it needs to go, inside of the small window of time he may be afforded to get it done. All the power in the world is useless if it can't be delivered accurately, fast.
    A little experiment is sometimes highly enlightening and usually educational...
    Take your boy shooting and bring along a selection of rifles of varying recoil levels.
    Buy a PACT timer and time his first round hits on targets at around 100 yards. Single round, wait for the beep, timer stops at the shot, check the target. If he's human, you'll notice his times will climb and accuracy will degrade markedly once he hits a certain recoil level. You've found his current comfort level. Pair the rifle with the appropriate load and go hunting with confidence, knowing you've set your boy up for success.

Upvote 0