BigJoe

No fish in O'side
Dec 6, 2005
Vista
Name
Joe
Boat
26', Striper, Wage Burner
carrying an assortment of tapered wooden plugs can be very helpful.....and make sure the insurance is paid up
Have both of these but thanks for the Stay Afloat product.

Hope they got he souls rescued.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Have both of these but thanks for the Stay Afloat product.

Hope they got he souls rescued.
Youtube Stay Afloat. There are a few great demonstrations. It's amazing what this stuff can do.

Yeah, I hope everyone is alright.

reel therapy

21 Triumph CC
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego ca. us
Name
thomas
Boat
21' CC Love Them Triumphs!
What a shitty experience! That would be my worst nightmare. Thanks responders for some great tips; I,e nerf footballs etc... I'm glad everyone is OK!

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
it was just on the news... boat did not sink... chopper dropped down an emergency pump and it was enough to keep the bilge down to find the leak and seal it... it was towed to shelter island and put back on its trailer

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
it was just on the news... boat did not sink... chopper dropped down an emergency pump and it was enough to keep the bilge down to find the leak and seal it... it was towed to shelter island and put back on its trailer
Good update! Would love to know more about the leak, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
Anyone ever had any luck shoving a nerf football into a hole? Heard it works but never had the opportunity thank god

Reactions: 909MARIO

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Anyone ever had any luck shoving a nerf football into a hole? Heard it works but never had the opportunity thank god
Try vegas...i've heard you can buy anything there with enough cash

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
Damn that's funny didn't even realize how it sounded. Screw Vegas money's green anywhere I just don't have any

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Haven't had to use any of these, but here are some different options out there..... pick your poison and be safe! ;)

Rupture Seal.

Tru Plug or Stay Plug..... foam plugs

Rescue Tape..... emergency self fusing silicone tape

Boat Bog..... Temporary emergency leak fix putty

Stay Afloat.... Temporary emergency leak fix wax

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: makairaa and 5-20

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Thanks Mike great info

gnehekul

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
In the navy all they give you are wooden dowels and a big hammer. Once I shoved my pants into a hole propped myself against it by pushing against the opposite wall and saved merica during a simulation.

Stood there is my undies but we passed?

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
"Plumbing test equipment, pneumatic plugs or Mechanical plugs of various sizes
Obviously one style needs air.

image.png image.png

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
This happened to me before.

We were in Catalina and on a mooring sleeping after a LONG night of hooping. I woke up in the morning and heard the bilge pump running but VERY slowly. First thing I did was jump up and noticed the back of the boat was very low in the water so I switched batteries and started the motor, which got the bilge running full speed. Then I started looking thru all of the hatches and found the bait pump thru hull has broken off and water pouring in. You could see straight to the ocean thru the hole. We shoved a wood plug in there and it immediately stopped the leak, like bone dry after the water was pumped out. Drove back to LB no problem and had it fixed by the next day.

Never leave the dock without a working bilge pump, good batteries, and a wood butt plug.

Only thing Id change is a high water alarm to wake our asses up earlier.

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
May 12, 2009
Menifee, CA United States
Name
Joe
Boat
2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
Haven't had to use any of these, but here are some different options out there..... pick your poison and be safe! ;)

Rupture Seal.

Tru Plug or Stay Plug..... foam plugs

Rescue Tape..... emergency self fusing silicone tape

Boat Bog..... Temporary emergency leak fix putty

Stay Afloat.... Temporary emergency leak fix wax

The unknown fisherman:p:
Thanks for posting this! Just ordered Stay Afloat for myself and my brother's boat. Great info!

Vibrio

Jul 20, 2016
Florence OR
Name
Kirk
Boat
Stabicraft 1850 Fish'r
No real thru hull fitting on my Stabi but I do keep a few rubber corks for stuffing into the bilge drain in an emergency. This thread does make me want to add a back up bilge pump to the boat. Possibly a whale type manual pump that can be operated at the console?

Vikingman

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Tim
Boat
24ft Skipjack Molly M
A water alarm is a cheap addition to your boat. I use a float switch in the bildge connected to a buzzer which is at the helm. It has gone off a couple times when I have taken too much water over the sides in rough seas. West Marine has the switch and buzzer. You might find it online a lot cheaper. Around 50 dollars together. Pick up an extra bildge pump while you are at it. Also get a second battery if you only have one.

nosurf4u

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 1, 2012
Long Beach Ca.
Name
sean mccabe
Boat
Calibogie 15 "pilau"
My dad always had a few toilet wax rings on his 56' Yankee Clipper sailboat....we hit a deadhead log on the way to Catalina and punched a 3" hole in the hull, I went in the water with one of those and jammed it in the hole....no water came in after that...stayed a week there, and had it hauled and repaired after. Good and Cheap stuff!!

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
No real thru hull fitting on my Stabi but I do keep a few rubber corks for stuffing into the bilge drain in an emergency. This thread does make me want to add a back up bilge pump to the boat. Possibly a whale type manual pump that can be operated at the console?
That Stabi will never sink.....wish there were a few down here in SD.
I saw a demo where they had pumped in water, put sand bags on the gunnels and had four guys standing in the boat........wouldn't go down, and the motor stayed pretty dry.

Vibrio

Jul 20, 2016
Florence OR
Name
Kirk
Boat
Stabicraft 1850 Fish'r
That Stabi will never sink.....wish there were a few down here in SD.
I saw a demo where they had pumped in water, put sand bags on the gunnels and had four guys standing in the boat........wouldn't go down, and the motor stayed pretty dry.
Lol. I know, I know, but I try to stave off any over confidence by pretending it can sink like a traditional boat! My only regret is not buying a larger one. Drives me nuts watching boats just a couple feet bigger and not nearly as seaworthy crossing the bar when it's restricted to boats 20 and under. I'm 18.5. :(

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Have been looking for a boat to buy for a lil while now. In just the past 2 weeks I have seen 2 different boats with cracked plastic thru hulls.
Seen plenty of cracked or questionable nylon thru hull fittings. Marelon does not have the problems nylon does.

Glad to hear they got off the boat OK.