26' Glacierbay "My Escape" sank sunday off Oahu's south shore

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
i think we have officially worn out this thread.... Some really good ideas on safety and boating... plus some good articles to read to make people aware of the possible dangers... have a great day and hope to see each one of you on the water fishing and enjoying the great state of Hawaii.... Aloha!

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
like i said instead of talking shit about glacier bays or any other boat , try give us da catch report or some pics would be nice, or should i say if you ain't got nothing nice to say then keep it to yourself ,and remember you fired da first scud:Death_To_Above::Death_To_Above::Death_To_Above::Death_To_Above::Death_To_Above:

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
ain't talking [email protected]#$ - check out the title of this thread - that is what prompted me to share my thoughts and gee, over 3k people have read it - must be something there?

over & out,

tight lines,

May 16, 2006
sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
Name
mike
Boat
25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
i imagine the planing the water out method would work, on my cat the water goes to the rear of the boat which is where the bilge pumps are located
PS - anyone have a suggestion on emergency procedures when a cat has taken on alot of water in one hull?

Attachments

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
YEAH CAPTAIN DON LET THOSE BABY CANE KNIFES GO! THAT PHOTO IS DISGUSTING! NO SHAME BRAH???? MAHIS CAN GROW UP TO 5LB IN A WEEK!
ALOHABIRD, i respect someone who is conservation minded like yourself. I agree we all must fish responsibily. But I also respect someone like CaptainDon who is willing to share information, including his fishing reports and photos with everyone on this board. I was fishing with Don this past Saturday when he made the call to leave a cargo net that was still holding a shitload of fish and gave the coordinates over the CB radio to anyone else out there who wasn't having as good a day as him. I tip my hat to him for doing that when he clearly could have loaded 'em up. Cane Knife sized mahi mahi or not, I just wanted everyone else to know there was another side to this story. Now I have personally caught heat for posting pictures of my catch on this board too. All I have to say is anyone who takes the time and effort to post photos on this board has my RESPECT first cause its not an easy thing to do. Just my 2 cents.

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
eh aloha bird , i guess maybe you don't "bait" mahimahi's like i do but usually, 9 times outta 10 when i bring them in the boat ,the hook is passed there gills, and almost coming out of there ass. and for your info we did have a few "cane knife size"with "lip shots that we tossed back,oh and by the way thanks for asking and happy fishing
captdon.

kapnd

Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
Right on Capt. Don! Good catch, good call.
At least we dont have (yet) laws that force us to throw back dead fish just because theyre not a certain size.
The longliners take the cake when it comes to throwing away resources.

kylie96819

Jun 13, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
Cal
Boat
26 Yellowfin
YEAH CAPTAIN DON LET THOSE BABY CANE KNIFES GO! THAT PHOTO IS DISGUSTING! NO SHAME BRAH???? MAHIS CAN GROW UP TO 5LB IN A WEEK!
Looking at the picture, the mahi's are not that small. Some restraunts and retailers at the auction want that size, alot softer. Sometimes at the auction you can get $3 or $4 or higher on a pound on that size if there is no fish. Fisherman don't know if there will be fish at the auction the next day. If I were to pay you more than $4 a pound on the "baby cane knifes", I bet you would keep it.

May 16, 2006
Name
mike
Boat
9 posts, 8 spam selling lures, boats and fishing rods. 1 slam on a guy over mahimahis of which are all marketable size. not a single report or tip or technique or informative post or thread given by alohabird. my question is this, if those mahis are too small in your book then what about these tunas (with you posing next to them) in your picture off your website?

Attachments

Jan 26, 2009
CA
Name
the_reel_deal
Boat
too many to list
yeah - how 'bout them apples - those mahis are great eating, they ain't an engangered species...and they make great marlin bait dead or alive...

or...maybe he was just kidding and he meant good going on the mahis...which is what we all are thinking...:gaygroup:

ALOHABIRD

Jun 22, 2009
Hanapepe
www.hawaiiansealures.com www.hawaiiancustomrods.com
Name
John
Boat
22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
Hey Mike a marketable Mahi I thought has to be at lease 10lb if that photo was taken from the other side with the big ones in front you would understand! Capt Don don't get me wrong that looked like a good day of fishing but we gotta start to conserve when ever we can I understand Capt Don let some go that's good! That photo of me was taken 6 or more years ago when I fished by myself on my 20' Boston Whaler those were all Aku which was givin away to family and friends and neighbors an of coarse the dry box too! We haven't updated that website for years! I've Been to busy making Rods and Lures! This Year I had surgery that kept me out of the water! My Lures Did do really Good this Year with Ahi's! Everyone Loves my custom Calstar Rods too! Congratulations to Maggie Joe !

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
okay seriously, this website gets retarded the more i start to look at it... a single thread goes from questions about a boat sinking, to comments about the boat in general, to discussions on poor maintenance, to heated discussions to fish catching abilities, to simply posting pictures of fish and lets get back to what the website is BLOODYDECKS, to advising someone to conserve F*&&ING small Mahi (which are the fastest growing pelagic in the F(#*#(@G ocean) to saying good job on catching a monster Marlin, which they are super rare and the biggest marlin like that give birth to more baby marlins in the ocean... WHAT THE F(#*....

Go fish, catch a fish, post a pic of your fish if you like... but for F(#K sake... let's just keep this post going so we can talk about the price of gas going up... how about that... don't you think it's getting a bit steeper now again... man that sucks...

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
yeah - fuel prices suck...speaking of which we ain't running nature tours, and just cause the treehuggers have taken over the whitehouse, doesn't mean we have to start releasing mahis - that is a ridiculous idea - kill em all and let the frying pans sort them out; I guess 'headsupcharters' was wrong - alohabird wasn't kidding - oh well - I sure ain't gonna start releasing any mahis...I guess mahis have more rights than akus...

tight lines,

PS - looked like Maggie Joe's grander feasted on some of those from the pics of its stomach contents

ALOHABIRD

Jun 22, 2009
Hanapepe
www.hawaiiansealures.com www.hawaiiancustomrods.com
Name
John
Boat
22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
Howzit Scott Yeah I'm sorry I posted that remark! As far as conservation that Big Girl that Maggie Joe Landed does not and will not produce any more period! When Marlin get over 500 there all mostly females and don't produce anymore! The most productive Marlins are the ones between 100 > 300 lbs! After that size they keep producing less and less the bigger and older they get! A Grander is mostly a eating machine that's it! A fun fish to catch and a Trophy! Aloha!

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
wow.......... speachless--------------------------------------------------------------
all i can say is thanks guys,:Zombie_Ro

aloha captdon

Fish Buster

Nov 13, 2008
Lahaina, Hawaii, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
22', power cat
damn i missed it:ashamed:

but seriously, to all the CaptDon haters, :finger:

he actually contributes something of value to this website and apparently to alot of local fishermen and i respect him for that. He isnt a pretender.

Aloha

May 16, 2006
Name
mike
Boat
i heard they were raising the price of gas because im coming home, i think they are trying to get back up to 4.60 a gallon to match what it was when i left. OPEC is'nt too scared when i'm not in theater and likes to get their creative pricing on when im on island.

Jan 26, 2009
CA
Name
the_reel_deal
Boat
too many to list
GB owner quotes:
"Waiting for the other shoe to drop? Of course there's a downside to running such a rig. In fact, I identified two worthy of note. The first is the snap roll. Perhaps half a dozen times through the season we were hit on the beam by large boat wakes. These evenly spaced waves caused one hull to drop off into the trough while the other went up on a crest, violently rocking the boat. Worse than on a V-hull? You bet. Slight course alterations take care of the problem, but the captain must be on the lookout for beam-to boat wakes. The second downside-it sneezes. In certain conditions the 2665 Canyon Runner will blow a puff of mist out of the front of the tunnel. No big deal, but on occasion it meant we were damp for the entire ride. For this reason, I think the boat would be enhanced greatly if a large windscreen were installed along with a windshield wiper."

"Leaning post rocket launchers aren't far enough apart. Sneeze factor can be annoying at times. Snap roll can be annoying at other times."