Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I bought a 25nld2 on line and received it earlier today, it is a pretty narrow reel, I have never held a XN in my hands, so would like to know the difference between a 25N and a 15XN, the 15XN can't be much narrower than the 25N.
What I am really asking is if I have a 25N what would I use a 15XN for.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Bottom right- 25NLD2
Bottom left- 15XNLD2
Top right- 10XNLD
Top left- 8XNSD

SP comparison RESIZED.JPG

marlyn
marlyn
The 15 and 25 are such classic sizes they remind me of a 322 and 332 newell,they just fit in your hands right!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Reactions: wahoononi
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Tunanorth: are all the models available in the fathom also available in the torque line, I much prefer to buy the torque.

The two smallest ones [8XNSD and 10XNLD] are available in the Fathom series only.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Buy the 15xnld2 and you won’t be disappointed. It’s a badass little reel. I used a friends at the Lupe and it handled a 100lb YFT with no issues. He had it filled with 50lb solid to a 40lb FC top shot. Casts great and makes for a fantastic 40lb finesse reel. I liked it so much I bought one and set it up the exact same way.

I don’t have the 25nld2 but I have 2 25n star drags and use them with 50lb for wahoo jigs and bombs. The 2-speed version will fish 50lb as a short top shot very well loaded on the back end with either 65lb or 50lb solid

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    What's the diameter of each of the spools, The picture references somewhat the width of the reels with the quarters, But it's not showing any reference on the depth/height of the spools/reels?

The Fathom "non-levelwind" series only has a total of three sideplate/spool diameters, whether star drag or lever drag.
    In any given sideplate size, only the width varies.
    Large: 40N/60
    Medium: 40/30/25N/15XN
    Small: 15/12/10XN/8XN
    The "levelwind" models have slightly different sideplate/spool diameters, but the line capacities for any given number are the same.

Upvote 0

lancewylie

May 1, 2021
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Lance Wylie
    Boat
    none
    Learning a lot here from you folks. Great stuff. Thoughts on which I should choose between the 15NLD2 and 15XNLD2 for 25lb flylining and some light jigs for yellowtail and schoolie YFT? To be paired with Seeker American 8FT 15-40. I get the difference in size and drag despite both being "15" series. I'm tempted by the XNLD in case I hit something bigger, but is that too much reel for the application? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Learning a lot here from you folks. Great stuff. Thoughts on which I should choose between the 15NLD2 and 15XNLD2 for 25lb flylining and some light jigs for yellowtail and schoolie YFT? To be paired with Seeker American 8FT 15-40. I get the difference in size and drag despite both being "15" series. I'm tempted by the XNLD in case I hit something bigger, but is that too much reel for the application? Thanks in advance.

Nothing is perfect [also don't forget there is no "15N", its listed as15LD2 [lower and wider model] or 15XNLD2 [taller and narrower model.]
    The rod you describe is probably the 270-8H model; a very nice rod for either reel.
    However, for "only" 25 pound test [and even 30 pound test], the smaller reel [15LD2] is more than sufficient for bait.
    You may appreciate the faster retrieve speed of the 15XNLD2 when fishing jigs with either test.

Reactions: lancewylie
    Upvote 0

lancewylie

May 1, 2021
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Lance Wylie
    Boat
    none
    Nothing is perfect [also don't forget there is no "15N", its listed as15LD2 [lower and wider model] or 15XNLD2 [taller and narrower model.]
    The rod you describe is probably the 270-8H model; a very nice rod for either reel.
    However, for "only" 25 pound test [and even 30 pound test], the smaller reel [15LD2] is more than sufficient for bait.
    You may appreciate the faster retrieve speed of the 15XNLD2 when fishing jigs with either test.
    Got it. Thanks. The 15XNLD2 is cool-looking to boot. Maybe that's the decider.

Upvote 0