250 Mile Trip When I Could Have Gone 1...8/16 & 8/17

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by jmoore1989, Aug 19, 2019.

1. jmoore1989

jmoore1989 Jeremiah

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Boat:
    232 Welcraft
    Buddy and brother came down Thursday with plans of chasing big bluefin and yellowfin Friday and Saturday. Picked up frozen flying fish Thursday with a plan to "go for broke" on 1 of our 2 day journey. Woke up at 0200 on Friday and was on the water by 0400, pointed the boat straight for SCI.. arrived around 0800. Water was dirty and 68-70 degrees. We were waiting for signs of any kinda life before either flying the kite or setting out our frozen fliers. NEVER HAPPENED. long story short, water was glass and beautiful. Tons of paddies a mile off the north west end but all empty. Long quiet boat ride home.... Got home, drank beer and made plans for Saturday.... Woke up at 0400 and trailered the boat to mission bay and launched out of Dana.. along with 50 other boats. Sat in line for 45 mine and got a scoop of EHHH bait. half rolled.... headed towards the corner working towards the 43, saw 1 puddling school of what im guessing was YFT but never got close enough for a cast and were gone in seconds. Found 1 paddy holding rat yellows who didnt want to play. Stumbled across a sword fish who wanted nothing to do with us and caught a baby blue shark of a random ass paddy...... 1400 decided to head to La Jolla and catch some Calico..... Pulled up and were talking to a couple guys on Kayaks that said they hadn't caught anything all day. Hopes of even catching bass were in the shitter.... My brother dropper looped a dean, we all sat down, cracked a beer and 30 seconds later his Avet SX raptor started SCREAMING line... I grabbed his rod out of the holder and handed it off to him (his first real fish) and was only fishing 25lb and had no chance the way he was taking line... Kayakers started to notice and paddled over and we asked what it may be being that we were in 20' of water and 250 yards off land.. they predicted a shark or ray... 30 min later we got color.... 25lb YT, grabbed the gaff and stuck his ass.... My buddy and I were in shock that we traveled roughly 250 miles for nothing and pulled up to some random ass kelp and within 30 seconds hooked this chunk... end the day with a bunch of calico and 1 not legal white sea bass and this pig.. salvaged weekend.

image1 (4).jpeg

2. tuna sniffer

tuna sniffer SD '63

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    1 tin 1 glass
    It’s a crazy game we play, this saltwater addiction. Always seems to give us just enough to keep us interested.

3. jmoore1989

jmoore1989 Jeremiah

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Boat:
    232 Welcraft
    very true.. its hard with the price of fuel right now. Making it even harder for the middle class enthusiast. With the way the season has been for everyone my hopes are fading on finding that wide open bite we've had the last couple years. Headed to Mexico Wednesday to see if we can find that wide open YFT bite that everyone is on.

rick rouland and repo805 like this.
  4. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Best read of the week.
    Thank you.

cortezpirasea and Cheech like this.
  5. splashy77

splashy77 Member

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    Trip saver, laughs, God bless fishing. Good read.

jmoore1989 likes this.
  6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    “....and that’s what it’s all about!”

Cha-Ching!

7. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    WOW! what a long trip. Thanks for the reports from the corner and SCI. I did the 24 hour run to SCI and got two blow ups that didn't stick. I think Mon-Wed of last week was the window.

next time

jmoore1989 and Bottom Line like this.
  8. Cheeseburger Killer

Cheeseburger Killer Beloved Son

Name:
    Kent
    Boat:
    Selling It...
    Bravo! Admire the perseverance...

jmoore1989 likes this.
  9. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    Seiners were out there stealing again I heard.

10. jmoore1989

jmoore1989 Jeremiah

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Boat:
    232 Welcraft
    EVERYWHERE