25 Skipjack Repower (6.2L 383 Magnum)

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by CEMILLER, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CEMILLER

CEMILLER Newbie

Name:
    Chris Miller
    Boat:
    25 Skipjack, Reel Therapy
    Does anyone have info. on the Mercuiser 6.2L 383 Magnum engine (390lb torque) and Bravo 1 drive? Likes or dislikes? I'm considering re-power and just heard of this package. New 2008 $11,500

2. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    never heard of this motor pkg

3. Assalt Weapon

Assalt Weapon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2240SX
    It is a very good package. Most of them are being installed in the 21-23ft Performance boats...Like Ultra, Eliminator, Placecraft etc...

They create in excess of 350hp, with out being the thirsty fuel sucking big blocks...

My neighbor has had his 2006 Ultra with this engine package for just about two years now...I think he has about 125hrs on it with no problems to date...His boat is running in the mid to upper 60's...pending the number of people on board.

The 383 has been around for a very long time for cars. 383 Stroker....Good reliable motor,,,based of the 350...works good,

Now for the money, I really dont think you need that engine for your boat, I dont think you need that much hp....I would stick with the tried and trued 5.0 or 5.7, and get Fuel Injection...

I have the VPenta 5.0, 270hp with a SX drive, getting 2.8-2.9MPG at anywhere between 2900-3200RPMs, running between 18-24/25MPH...More HP typically means burning more fuel... Which is why i think the 5.0 or 5.7 is what you need.

4. MM2

MM2 thunnus

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    26'PACEMAKER SPORTFISHER "CORAZON"
    i have crusader captains choice 5.7 litre @ 330HP does about 1.5 mpg with a shaft drive maybe better with the regular out drive.
    shop around there a lot of good packages; kind of a buyers market good luck in your endeavor!!! MM2/Charlie

5. CEMILLER

CEMILLER Newbie

Name:
    Chris Miller
    Boat:
    25 Skipjack, Reel Therapy
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    The 383 Magnum provides big-block power in a smaller, lighter package
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]In a first-of-its-kind development, Mercury Remanufacturing (a division of Mercury Marine) is now offering a customized non-production sterndrive or inboard engine that delivers the power of a “big-block” – without the size, weight, or price.
    The remanufactured 383 Magnum multi-port fuel injected power-plant is based on a small-block 6.2-litre engine, but features a larger-bore-diameter and longer stroke that provides 325 “propshaft” horsepower with tons of torque. This is a perfect, economical replacement for the no longer made 454 and 7.4 engines that were previously popular. It is designed for medium sized sport boats, runabouts or day-cruisers that can handle the power and will benefit from the reduced size or weight compared to the older big-block's.
    The engine is sold complete and ready to install. Includes the latest Mercury PCM and is Smartcraft ready. Available as straight inboard or Bravo sterndrive, engine only or complete package
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]383-MAG STROKER ENGINE
    350 Crankshaft Horsepower, due to its size and power this is an ideal replacement for the no longer made 454 & 7.4
    1-Year factory warranty
    Service at any of more than 4000 Mercury Marine MerCruiser factory authorized dealers 2 additional years of coverage available from Mercury Product Protection

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Dynamomoter Tested Utilizing Approved SAE - J607 Specifications
    [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Starts life as a GM 350-Gen+ Longblock [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Block deck is inspected and surfaced [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Main bearing caps line-honed [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW Forged Steel Stroker Crankshaft [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW Forged Stroker Connecting Rods matched for balance [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Marine Oil Pan [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW 3-Piece Full Roller Timing Set [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW Cam bearings installed and machined to spec [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Remanufactured roller lifters (including new roller bearings) [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Cylinder heads inspected & resurfaced [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]100% NEW Stainless Steel valves with oversize-stems [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW valve springs [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW valve stem keepers [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW High Volume Oil pump [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW Hypereutectic Pistons with Grafal (Graphite) coated skirts & Moly Faced Piston Rings [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]NEW Clevite 77 performance engine bearings [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]All NEW external components, including:[/FONT] [​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Multiport EFI with 555-ECM(Smartcraft ready) [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Thermostat housing [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Water Circulating Hoses with Multi-point drain system [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Marine Grade Gaskets and Seals [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Starter Motor [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Electric Fuel Pump [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Exhaust Manifolds [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Top-Mounted Remote Oil Filter [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Water Circulating Pump [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Alternator [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Sea-Water Pump [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Power Steering Pump [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Serpentine Accessory Drive Belt [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Belt tensioner & pulleys [/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Brass marine-grade block plugs [/FONT]

6. scuba e

scuba e tool

Name:
    ERIK
    Boat:
    20' Century
    Raw water cooled.

7. Dirtguy

Dirtguy "It's all Good!"

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
    I was told that bigger, heavier boats thrive on torque. Hp really doesn't mean alot. And if that hp is out of your operating range then it's not much good. The Fi is a great option, however, just because it's FI doesn't mean it's calibrated right for your intentions, and might be a gas hog if cal'd wrong. FI does make for trouble free operation day in and day out. But there are other maintenance items that you should consider. High pressure pump and filters, injectors, sensors etc. And maybe some fuel plumbing items that might need changing. Like return lines.

There are a great number of boats that are carbureted and not jetted right. Or guys are unfamiliar with jetting and carbs in general.

I had thought of using a SBC in place of my BBC and was advised against it by every knowledgable source. I DO know that a good large displacement SBC can do the same work and be lighter. Not necessarily more efficiently, but in some respects, better.

Remember, it takes "X" amount of torque to get your boat on plane. If that torque happens ealier in the RPm, then it'll get there sooner.

The 383 of yesteryear used a 400 crank with the mains turned down to a 350 size. Not a big deal. The 400 rods were shorter and therefore gave a higher rod ratio. That meant that it had more torque down low. Today they use a longer rod so the wear is better.
    It sounds like a good package and they wouldn't warranty something that would cost them money in the long run. You can't go wrong.

GD

8. sixty

sixty Member

Name:
    Corey
    Boat:
    Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
    If you already have an SBC than you can have a decent stroker built for less than $3k. Then all you need is to install an aftermarket EFI kit $2-$3k & you would be well below the cost of the Mercury. It would be more work than throwing a crate motor in, but then you could tune the injection to your boat as well as a more highly modified engine, this would give you better economy and power.

I'm in the process of putting a 383 into my Landcruiser that is adapted to TBI (just fired it up last night). It should make about 450ftlbs at 2500rpms and 350hp at 5Krpms. Strokers make great low end, especially when using the longer 6" rods. A motor like that would be great in a heavy skipjack & be close to 200lbs lighter than a BBC.

9. Dirtguy

Dirtguy "It's all Good!"

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
    Good ideas!

But doing a good 4 bolt, steel crank, forged rod/piston, roller cam, SS valved, engine will cost more than $3K. The parts list from Mercury looks pretty decent for the hardware. $4500 ought to cover most everything, with budget heads. And while you're on it, go closed cooling at the same time and the cost goes up $1500.

But shorter rods make their torque lower; but limit the revs due to higher piston speeds. Longer rods spend more time at TDC therefore getting as much out of the charge as you can, and are better for engines that rev.

Higher velocity ports, (in torquer applications), make better use in a short rod engine.

DG