Start Me Up Sportfishing

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Rebuilding a 25' mosquito (24' 6"). Project is as follows.Have stripped it to hull skin, and replaced all stringers, bulkheads,fish boxes,deck,rails etc,with thermo lite 3/4" board.Then placed a 25' force cab on her.Installed 2 70gal stainless saddle tanks.Inboards removed,and a 2'10" tub/extension for outboards.looking to put 2 honda 150s on her,but 115s may be more intune with "shrunken wallet" syndrome.The boat will be used to shibi ,buoy and bottom fish mostly puna on Big Isle. Any ideas ? insight ? into this will be appreciated .Here are some pictures of what has gone on thus far. Mahalo.

rough start.jpg squito.jpg IMG_0237.JPG P1060754.JPG P1000082.JPG P1000084.JPG P1000085.JPG P1000090.JPG

Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Finishing gel coat on stern area,mounted "lexan" windows.Bringing it back to my place so we can begin rigging wish bones (outrigger holders) Pole holders and all accessories.Boxes should hold 3,200 -3,500 lbs.Still working on getting motors steering and helm accessories.Owner Capt, truly made the boat he wanted happen.We should be able to chase fish from kauai back home to Big Isle once all said and done .Live to fish fish to live !.

Upvote 0

Kelle

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2012
Kalaheo/Kauai/HI
Name
Kelly
Boat
24 Mosquito
Finishing gel coat on stern area,mounted "lexan" windows.Bringing it back to my place so we can begin rigging wish bones (outrigger holders) Pole holders and all accessories.Boxes should hold 3,200 -3,500 lbs.Still working on getting motors steering and helm accessories.Owner Capt, truly made the boat he wanted happen.We should be able to chase fish from kauai back home to Big Isle once all said and done .Live to fish fish to live !.

Wow, boat coming along nice! But just in case you neva know, no more fish Kauai...lol....only turtles.

Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Wow, boat coming along nice! But just in case you neva know, no more fish Kauai...lol....only turtles.
OOOOH NOOOO!!! lol. On a better note tho...Financing went thru on twin honda 115's.Been off da water for 3 months !.Time to go!.

Reactions: Kelle
Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Shot last of webbing today.Start mounting hardware in morning ,making the final push ! Got new 115 Honda's being installed with controls etc next monday, fish following friday an hour after we pick her up!.Life is good in the (808).

Reactions: JimmyK and Kelle
Upvote 0

Kelle

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2012
Kalaheo/Kauai/HI
Name
Kelly
Boat
24 Mosquito
OOOOH NOOOO!!! lol. On a better note tho...Financing went thru on twin honda 115's.Been off da water for 3 months !.Time to go!.

I know the feeling! It looks like you going be back on the water before me. My wife got sick so I wasn't able to work on the boat for two weeks now. Hope to get some movement this weekend. I gada get back out there too!

Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
I know the feeling! It looks like you going be back on the water before me. My wife got sick so I wasn't able to work on the boat for two weeks now. Hope to get some movement this weekend. I gada get back out there too!

Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Hope the wife is feeling better.Should be getting everything (hardware) mounted today.Shooting for a monday drop off for motors,controls etc.And of course...setback , trailer vin numbers cannot be found !.Old owner nevah registered so hunting down original owner.Otherwise big to do with police station and their "Expert" to get a cert so we can register.It's a boat nuttin comes easy.

Upvote 0

Kelle

Almost A Member
Sep 28, 2012
Kalaheo/Kauai/HI
Name
Kelly
Boat
24 Mosquito
Hope the wife is feeling better.Should be getting everything (hardware) mounted today.Shooting for a monday drop off for motors,controls etc.And of course...setback , trailer vin numbers cannot be found !.Old owner nevah registered so hunting down original owner.Otherwise big to do with police station and their "Expert" to get a cert so we can register.It's a boat nuttin comes easy.

I had the same problem with my previous boat. I ended up weighing the trailer and re-registering the trailer as a home built trailer. The DMV issued me a VIN plate to put on the trailer so I could go and get the safety check and complete the registration. It was an all day ordeal but it was worth not having to deal with the PD where they do things at a slow pace.

Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
Soooo, motors not being installed until monday.Had to use buddies dads old honda 50s to get steering .Thank gawd for good uncles.Appears to be looking good.Altho the 160 gal of fuel bill looks daunting.

Upvote 0

Je_sea

Jun 15, 2014
Name
Kawaihoa
Boat
18' custom fiberform
fuel bill is the only thing holding me back from switching to outboards. one guy who has a 25' w/twin 175's told me he burns 125 gallons a 14 hour day. i cant afford that no way

Reactions: Puna Shibi
Upvote 0

Puna Shibi

Nov 14, 2016
Hawaii
Name
james McCormick
Boat
25' mosquito
fuel bill is the only thing holding me back from switching to outboards. one guy who has a 25' w/twin 175's told me he burns 125 gallons a 14 hour day. i cant afford that no way
We figure 3.5 to 4 gal an hour.160 gal capacity(2-80 gal saddle tanks)We will run twin 115 Hondas.And fitting with another 100 gal front tak later.However we are not trollers for most part.We run ,fish,run, fish.And shibi alot, as well as bottom fish.Fuel is a killer !!!.But this is only way we make a living so for us it's a necessary evil.

Upvote 0