sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I am looking for a 25# reel, and people have said go the MX way, but I am concerned about the drag abilities being pushed to the limit on the MXL with 25# line. At 8 lbs of drag at strike, for 25# line, I am right at the threshold of losing freespool and being at max for full. Also open to the JX, but with MC the JX gets a little pricey and puts it in the price range of a lot other quality reels, as compared to a used or new MX series in question. Not interested in a raptor, or those who say they fish 40# or 50# on their MXJ all day, you could fish straight 80# braid, but you are still limited by the drag ability of any reel.

Essentially, the reel would be maxed out of drag at appropriate settings for 25# line, down side, I have no drag in reserve, not a huge deal...I am more concerned with fishing the reel at its upper limits (within limits), will it cause wear/bearing issues, or will it be fine to fish 25# line at a constant 8#'s at strike and 14 #'s at full?

Thanks for any input.

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
Yeah Mx series is perfect

Epp

Feb 19, 2011
Santee, CA
Name
Eric
Boat
none
got two mxj 2 speeds and i have 50 lbs spectra and i use a 25-50 yd top shot of 25 or 30 lbs line got tunas, bass, yellow tail, dodos, its a very good reel so just dont try to over do the drag it says 9-10 at strike use that dont try to get 14 out of it if you want a reel that can do that get the jx or lx or go to the raptor mx hope this helps

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
Thanks or all the help and input guys. I am definitely leaning towards the MXL for my 25# reel, I have no doubts it can fish 25#-30# line.

I was just worried that fishing the appropriate drag setting, even within safe limits, for 25# line might be too much for the reel over pro-longed period use.

So my real question should have been...Will using the reel at its upper drag settings, but within limits, cause an adverse affect on pinion bearing and handle bind? Or is that something I should only worry about if I raised the drag preset too high; for example, have strike set at 11# and full 19#'s, for a reel that has recommended drag range of 9-15#'s respectively?

Thanks again for your help, this is weighing on my decision for an MXL.

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
I have 2 MXLs with 50 # spec and 30 # mono I have been fishing for 5 years no bearing issues. Fish 20 to 25 on my SX. One time a couple years a go i spooled my MXL 2 speed with 40# and got a 83 # yellow fin, lot of work but a lot of fun. Your all good for 30# on the MX. have fun!

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
30# on the MX is just fine. I've got an early MXL that's been my 30# rig with no problems. Not sure how much you want to push it beyond 9 or 10# at strike as you'll start getting significant resistance turning the handle. Greased drag helps with smoother take-off when bit - much less likely to "grab" at first run. I liked the MXL so much I picked up a MXJ last year for a 2nd 30# rig. Plenty of capacity with 50# solid braid and a short top-shot. I fish 20-25# on the SX's.

Again, fished within its limits, the SX/MX reels (single speed, no MC) are terrific IMO. The JX's are another story, however...

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
I once fished an entire 8-day trip with only an MXL 50lb spectra, 30lb mono. Got YT to 40lb and YFT to 45. No problem. The reel can take a lickin'. It's the perfect reel for 25 or 30#.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
Ok, I am sold on the MXL. Thanks for all the input gentlemen.

I am going with a Forest Green or Purple MXL w/Magic Cast.

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
I have 3 MXJ,s and one MXL. MXJ is the bomb! Fish 30lb on an MXJ all day with no issues. MXJ casts better than the MXL, MXJ rarely birds nest's, I have to pay attention to the MXL or I screw it up.

190Montauk

Almost A Member
Jul 21, 2012
Newbury Park, California
Name
John
Boat
2008 Boston Whaler / Whaler 19
Thanks or all the help and input guys. I am definitely leaning towards the MXL for my 25# reel, I have no doubts it can fish 25#-30# line.

I was just worried that fishing the appropriate drag setting, even within safe limits, for 25# line might be too much for the reel over pro-longed period use.

So my real question should have been...Will using the reel at its upper drag settings, but within limits, cause an adverse affect on pinion bearing and handle bind? Or is that something I should only worry about if I raised the drag preset too high; for example, have strike set at 11# and full 19#'s, for a reel that has recommended drag range of 9-15#'s respectively?

Thanks again for your help, this is weighing on my decision for an MXL.

How much drag do you want on 25-30#?[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
Set the strike drag with the rod securely in a holder. The scale should read between 25 and 33 percent of the unknotted line strength when the drag starts to slip. 30-lb test line should have a strike drag setting of between 7.5 and 10 pounds.
[/FONT]

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
How much drag do you want on 25-30#?
Set the strike drag with the rod securely in a holder. The scale should read between 25 and 33 percent of the unknotted line strength when the drag starts to slip. 30-lb test line should have a strike drag setting of between 7.5 and 10 pounds.

Within the 25-30% drag range. I am new to lever drag reels, and was worried about damaging the pinion bearing if I have the drag constantly set on the upper end, but everyone says it is cool, I guess that is why avets have a good reputation.

I am used to the ability to lockdown the drag as much as I can turn a star drag reel, when reserve drag is needed to pull a fish away from structure or kelp beds, and not have to worry about damaging something. Give or take with star and lever drag.