24 Radon "CarzyHorse"

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by mendogotblood, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    F/V Cyndi Lynn and F/V CrazyHorse
    So For the past year I've been on the Hunt for a small trailerable radon. Being a Commercial fisherman up here in Fort Bragg I wanted to be able to tow and launch in other ports...fish other areas etc.

Couple weeks ago I finally made it happen. Picked up a '81 24x8 Radon with a single 454 and bravo2 outdrive. Strong reliable package in a nice work platform of a boat.

Now everyone knows buying a boat "ready to go" still means theres things to be changed/fixed. So thats why I'm starting this thread. Bringing "CrazyHorse" back to life and back to work. No more months on the trailer when this things done. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Attached Files:

2. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    First Things to be fixed:
    Boats running two fuel tanks "saddle style" going to a 3 way valve and then through a fuel water seperator into the engine. 3 way valve choose between Tank A, Off, or Tank B. (Have to say now a fan of that 3way valve) So after 30 bucks at the hardware store and some extra USCG approved fuel line I ditched that damn 3way.
    As It is now: Each tank running to a brass 3/8 ball on/off valve sperately and then into each inlet side of the fuel water seprator. Why the previous owners ran the 3way valve to one side of the fuel water seperator and then a block off plug on the other...beats me. Problem fixed.

Along with running two fuel tanks that means theres two fuel vents each coming out rail height towards the outside of the boat. Skeptical of water entering my tanks through such low vents I fabricated some stainless vent covers out of an old running light housing.(pictures up soon, cheap and easy compared to Perko's chrome plated bronze 30 dollar each vent covers)

As of today I'm still waiting for my exhaust boot for the outdrive to arrive (current boot is SHOT) so I can pull the outdrive and have the mechanic inspect ujoints etc.. and install the new boot.

Got a call placed to a local welder/fab to give me an estimate on a Davit/hoist that will be mounted towards the rear of the deck off of the front of the engine room.(attached photshop picture for reference.)

And so far thats it. I've got some bigger plans for down the road but I just can't wait to work this boat and put some hours on the water with it. Only time and seatrials will show what else needs to be done.

Last problem I'm facing is the fuel fills for my tanks are older units. The gas caps themselves are completely stripped out and worn through, The underside of the caps have been filled with epoxy. They are on the boat now and "work" however I am in need of changing them out. Heres the problem, They are older "perko" units and the newer "perko" units run a different thread pitch and depth of the cap itself. Local old timer marine shop in town said "i'm fucked" and "won't find those old caps" as all the ones he had didn't fit. Any Ideas? I'm thinking of maybe having some custom ones machined from a machine shop.

Attached Files:

3. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    looks like quite the urchin/lobster boat.

4. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    Guess I failed to mention I'm an Urchin Diver...Former owner was a lobsterman out of Carpinteria never fished the boat.
    Plans Are to Use the boat for sportfishing in the offtime from diving. Can't wait to run gobs of handlines and slay some albies get blood all over the deck. I hear the salmon season might be a good one up here this year as well mights have to drag some bait when the time comes.

5. sbsurfer

sbsurfer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    Yeah Grant, glad to see my old boat in good hands and getting used once again for its original purpose. Good luck with her, hope she treats you well. Looking forward to seeing the progress and pics of tons of urchins on that sled.

6. starbright55

starbright55 Member

Name:
    TH
    Boat:
    17' Avon Searider
    Nice. Keep us posted on the progress. I eyed that boat on craigslist wondering who would be scooping it up.

7. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    I am Just itching to put some hours on her. Hey Mark how were the gas caps when you had it?

8. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    Ya same here and then once the price kept coming down I snatched it up.

9. Crystaliner

Crystaliner Newbie

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    29 Crystaliner R/S
    How much did you steal her for? I think that radon on ebay once. Owner want 20,000.00 and wouldnt take a dime less. Highest bid got up to 13,000.00

10. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    Picked her up for 17k owner was asking 20k.

11. Crystaliner

Crystaliner Newbie

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    29 Crystaliner R/S
    If I remember OPYS had it up for 30,000.00 and the owner wanted 20,000.00 on ebay. Maybe same owner. Long time ago.

That boat kicks ass..........

12. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:

Ya I have seen the Yacht Authority ad and it made me feel great getting it for such a steal. Its got its repairs it needs but all in all Great Boat!

13. sbsurfer

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    the caps were in bad shape by the time she got to me. I used a screwdriver to get to the filler. I tried finding the right size cap but like you got skunked cause of the different threads and depth.

14. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    Damnit, thats all bad. Hopefully my local fabricationist will come through and be able to machine me up some. I'm curious I found you can get plastic locking caps that replace the perko cap and when I researched them online it said they fit a variety of perko gas and water fills(they listed like 6 compatible part numbers). Any idea...did you try the ones I'm talking about? Also I'm still wanting to get ahold of some stainless/galvy expansion plugs. I'm waiting on getting a quote to have them plugged and fiberglassed(wouldn't trust my fiberglassing on a hull patch) but am nervous about stacking urchin bags on those plastic ones

15. sbsurfer

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    When i was looking for replacements i think there was another current Perko cap that had the same threads but it was just deeper....might be worth going into a Marine supply store and seeing if you can find those then just have a machine shop 'shave' them down a bit (may have been a diesel cap but i cannot remember)

I couldn't find the plugs online but they were really similar to the ones on this website.

http://newsite.cherneind.com/Mechanical_Plugs/Econ_O_Grip/

i'll see if i can find the paperwork for the purchase somewhere at home. Maybe call Oscar and see if he still has them, i gave them to him in a pastic bag AFTER he bought Crazyhorse from me

16. sbsurfer

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
  17. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    Thanks Mark. Ya I am able to order some Galvenized exspansion plugs from a place locally I will have them look for stainless. I know what you mean about the right fitting cap just too deep, I just didn't understand why they were bottoming out and needing to be shaved, there is nothing in the neck that would stop a longer cap from threading in.
    Probably going to be getting ahold of paul anyways wanted to ask him if he ever registered crazyhorse as a documented vessel with DFG, if so what the vessel number was.
    Thanks again Mark. Excellent help

18. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    Well after at least a week of waiting for my exhaust bellow to arrive for my outdrive, it was my turn in the shop. Mechanic knocked it out in about an hour. What a pain it looked like to get the back portion of the bellow on. While the outdrive was off I was able to grease and check the gimbel bearing and we inspected the inside of the coupler. Greased and checked the ujoints on the outdrive and everything looked good so he threw it back together.
    Couple things I noticed that need to be changed are my stainless braided high pressure oil lines for the hydro rams on the outdrive. And my port side trim tab is pretty much half torn apart at the swivel/seam. But all minor I already picked up some better condition braided lines and I'm going to inquire about having a sheetmetal shop make me up a new trim tab.
    Couple Pictures I snapped at the shop. Emerson Marine in Noyo Harbor, Larry Emerson great knowledgable old guy.

Attached Files:

19. mendogotblood

mendogotblood Newbie

Name:
    Grant
    Boat:
    So a little update on the boat. The weather hasn't been to nice so Ive been trying to get all my paperwork and coast gaurd safety stuff together. I was able to get the boat up to a local welder who is custom making me a davit (boom/hoist) 3 inch aluminum and I picked up a Warn 2500lb atv winch to put on it that should load almost anything. Just waiting for it to be done.

Solved my gas cap problem. Wasn't easy or cheap but I had a machinist machine some gas caps for me out of solid brass, they're BEAUTIFUL.

Need to get some gelcoat mixed to match the color of my cabin so I can do some fiberglass crack repairs. Need to move the rope cleats on my rails which is unfortunate but they are in awful places you can't reach either from the deck.

Figured I'd post a couple pictures of the covers I made for my gas tank vents. Way cheaper then buying ones from the marine store in town. I think They turned out good. Screwed on and sealed with marine 5200.

Attached Files:

20. sbsurfer

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Looking good Grant, glad to see she's getting the attention she deserves. Keep the pics coming...especially the ones of all the urchins on the deck in the near future.