Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
It's unfortunate, but if it was not food poisoning, then a vast spreading virus, how about the crew, did they get it too? Bummer, but I would not put down the boat for one incidence? Stuff happens in close quarters. Actually surprised it doesn't happen more often on long range boats!

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Me, too.

Their record is impressive. Especially considering the close quarters.

chef tom

Sep 14, 2012
fresno ca. usa
Name
tom waggoner
Boat
none
90 percent of the time people throw up or get the shits it's some sort of food contamination. Doesn't mean it was caused by the crew though. Just remember cross contamination is very easy if your not paying attention.
Like cutting up chicken not washing the cutting board properly and then cutting up some veggies for a salad on the same board equals barf

Reactions: stangclassic66

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
Has anyone gone to the Doctor to test for food poisoning? It's very easy to do...they give you a kit to take home and you bring back samples of stool and urine.

It's a serious issue - may cause death. Do your own due diligence!
---------------------------------
Of course the Capt. and Crew is not going to say it was food poisoning - they could be held liable.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Has anyone gone to the Doctor to test for food poisoning? It's very easy to do...they give you a kit to take home and you bring back samples of stool and urine.

It's a serious issue - may cause death. Do your own due diligence!
---------------------------------
Of course the Capt. and Crew is not going to say it was food poisoning - they could be held liable.
When i have food poisoning it's not necessary for me to go home to provide a stool sample....:_diarrhea_:

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Amazing how so many of you just look for any band wagon to jump on, bunch of drama queens who are not only bait experts but can now explain how a bunch of people got sick.

Hopefully Mark and Paul will find out exactly what happened

arik lerner

Aug 29, 2009
san diego ca usa
Name
arik
Boat
topcat 42 thermadine
I heard one time commercial fishing on the radio one time the guys on the 20 day jig boats was calling his friend and said the following:
"Hey hal are you there? Yeah Pete I am here in a slow tone voice. " You know what I do to feed the crew "? Whats that Pete why I go down to that MC Donalds hamburger Tue and for 29 cents why I buy 40.00 dollard of them and then put them right down in the freezer with the fish . I feed my crew the entire trip for 40.00

Salt_N_Vibes

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 9, 2015
Los Feliz
Name
Greg
Boat
none
This is sad to hear. Anything more than a 1.5 day should have much higher standards when it comes to food. On some 3/4 day and overnight boats i can't believe how filthy everything is. I even saw the cooks sweat drip on the grille once. Not gonna lie, it has never stopped me from eating that burger lol. I will always be a fat kid at heart :puff:

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
anybody diagnosing here been through Med School? That's what I thought...

rock&reel

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2007
Downey
Name
Dale
Boat
Proline
UPDATE............I received a call from Mark...one of the Indys owners. He was very nice, sounded concerned, offered his apology and is going to call everyone on the trip. I appreciate him getting back to me right away so this won't happen again in the future.

Reactions: Paddyman1

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
My first thought too, Tom. With all of the tuna being caught I've seen a number donated to the galley of various boats and then pretty soon spreads of food Japanese-style become available. My great-grandfather was the inventor of fire, so I always pass on the raw fish because of disrespect to him. And I've never gotten sick yet on an offshore boat, thank God.

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
Sorry boys, but at 300 + a day to have that happen from the food or airconditioning is negligence . Even if it's one time.
Did they ask for a tip?
Give a refund? Or how did they make it right?
24 thousand dollars I bet they kept it right. Did they eat the fish?
Was the crew sick?
The "airplane" video was funny.
It's easy to say when it's not your thousand dollar trip. They probably got the bacterial fecal hamburger mentioned on Spanish TV. A few days ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salt_N_Vibes

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
image.jpg

Fish Lounge

Sep 15, 2003
San Diego
Name
Bo
Boat
23' Sea Fox WA Fish Lounge
90 percent of the time people throw up or get the shits it's some sort of food contamination. Doesn't mean it was caused by the crew though. Just remember cross contamination is very easy if your not paying attention.
Like cutting up chicken not washing the cutting board properly and then cutting up some veggies for a salad on the same board equals barf
All actions would be by the crew, unless the passengers were cooking their own food.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
UPDATE............I received a call from Mark...one of the Indys owners. He was very nice, sounded concerned, offered his apology and is going to call everyone on the trip. I appreciate him getting back to me right away so this won't happen again in the future.
That is great that Mark called you and will be calling the others from the trip. KUDOS to Mark for that.
There is no guarantee that something like this will never happen again.....on any boat - only that what happened this time will hopefully not happen again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS: while you have him on the phone, ask him why he is not selling less than a full scoop to PBers. The SBs of SD here at BD demand to know. :D

kcarnesmd

Jul 24, 2007
raleigh, nc
Name
ken
Boat
Regulator 31
Suspect crew was correct that this was viral in origin. Norovirus incubation is 12-48 hours, with average of 33 hours. Spread by hand to mouth contact, and not by respiratory route. Only way to avoid is with frequent hand washing, and using antiseptic gels (like on cruise ships), as virus can remain viable on multiple surfaces. Very, very contagious. Much less likely that this was food poisoning. Can happen on any boat with multiple passengers in close contact. Indy turned out to be the unlucky boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.