Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2007
Downey
Name
Dale
Boat
Proline
Greetings to all,
Just returned Friday, 8-28 from a 3 day trip on the Independence. We came up and killed the fish on the backside of Catalina but on Thursday, 8-27 the passengers were dropping like flys......vomiting,diarrhea, etc. The crew was aware but acted stupid when it came to a healthcare scare telling passengers it's probably a virus........I know they are young....but they can't be idiots! Anyways, waiting to hear from then owners of the boat today. I'll post the outcome

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Yikes.

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Long Rangers tend to be a litigious group, I hope it doesn't get to that.

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
they were not sea sick , conditions were stellar the end of last week

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
Escondido
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can fish from
That is not good. Definitely a health issue if 3/4 of the passengers get sick with the same symptoms. Decker shouldn't diagnosis something like that. Just get the people back.

NASTYHABTS26

Pescado Bonita 26 ft Pang
Apr 24, 2004
SO CALI
Name
Don
Boat
26 ft Apex Diesel Panga Pescado Bonita
Been there done that, nothing worse than food poisoning while off shore.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
I worked my way through school in restaurants, and one incident left a real impression on me. One summer in a higher end dinner house (the old Hungry Tiger chain) , the staff usually ate dinner around 5, before starting their shifts and things getting busy. One night they mostly ate fish from a recent delivery. They too started getting sick and the rest of the fish was pulled off the menu. The fish looked fine, smelled fine, and even tasted fine (I had a bit)e--no human sensory way to tell that there was a problem until too late. Must have been a problem with the processing. Anyway, there may be a problem, but it may have been something that the Independence simply couldn't predict or learn about until people started getting sick.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
That is not good. Definitely a health issue if 3/4 of the passengers get sick with the same symptoms. Decker shouldn't diagnosis something like that. Just get the people back.
Its most likely a virus , It happened to me on a 5 day, lucky for me it was on the way home
but some guy came down with it during fishing, the thing is with the A C it goes thru each Stateroom
and that it how it spread's , shit happens ,that is something that the Boat has no control of

Joe Bal

Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
Its most likely a virus , It happened to me on a 5 day, lucky for me it was on the way home
but some guy came down with it during fishing, the thing is with the A C it goes thru each Stateroom
and that it how it spread's , shit happens ,that is something that the Boat has no control of
Come on A virus, Food poisoning for sure,

Reactions: geoff taylor

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
If 3/4 got sick and all the symptoms were the same,it shouldn't be hard to figure out if it was food.

Reactions: mystikz2002

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
Norovirus, the same thing that sweeps through cruise ships, highly contagious, diarrhea, vomiting, everything you described. It usually starts with someone not washing their hands after using the can, but once it gets going it goes airborne through vomiting (if someones yakking back off) and also through diarrhea, so with everyone sharing bathrooms your all doomed. The virus itself can survive on most surfaces for over 10 days so it's extremely difficult to contain. The good news is that it usually passes in 24-48 hours, at which point you are still contagious but feeling better and will be immune from that strain for the next year or so.

If you think it's bad out at sea try getting it out in the middle of no where. That happened to me last year on my Appalachian Trail hike, spent a cold miserable night laying on some god forsaken hillside out in the middle of the Tennessee wilderness going back and forth between 2 holes that I dug out out of the hard ground. Norovirus runs rampant through the trail every year, lots of dirty hikers in close contact with not enough hand washing.

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
I just got off the Mariners 3 dayer today on the Indy and we all seemed ok. Sorry to hear about your situation the trip prior.

Bold #7

Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
I too was on that boat 2 of the 24 got deathly sick. Food, water probable culprits not a/c.
Watching maybe 10 patrons of the 30 at the final dinner call ( others already in the rooms )
and all but 3 passing on dinner was eerie and sad. Saw the Captain talking with the kitchen crew, everybody was aware.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Pretty short incubation period for that many people to get it, only a 3 day trip. Sounds more like food poisoning. Most of the long range are pretty good with their galleys so I would assume it is an unfortunate incident, not a common event.

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Norovirus, the same thing that sweeps through cruise ships, highly contagious, diarrhea, vomiting, everything you described. It usually starts with someone not washing their hands after using the can, but once it gets going it goes airborne through vomiting (if someones yakking back off) and also through diarrhea, so with everyone sharing bathrooms your all doomed. The virus itself can survive on most surfaces for over 10 days so it's extremely difficult to contain. The good news is that it usually passes in 24-48 hours, at which point you are still contagious but feeling better and will be immune from that strain for the next year or so.

If you think it's bad out at sea try getting it out in the middle of no where. That happened to me last year on my Appalachian Trail hike, spent a cold miserable night laying on some god forsaken hillside out in the middle of the Tennessee wilderness going back and forth between 2 holes that I dug out out of the hard ground. Norovirus runs rampant through the trail every year, lots of dirty hikers in close contact with not enough hand washing.
I just retired from Hiking and never hiked a day in my life after reading your post. lol :D

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Norovirus has a very short incubation period... under 2 days.

But most likely the food/water.

Status
Not open for further replies.