flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
Does any one have this issue. I have a 22lb Bruce anchor. When I drop anchor the anchor doesn’t fall off the bow and needs a nudge. Just a little annoying. If I add a roller to the back of the anchor to keep the long stem of the anchor higher it would auto roll off but I prefer not to add anything.

Anyone have this anchor? I think the issue is the weight of the front of the anchor and angle of bow.

djam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 2, 2008
Irvine
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2320 (Terabite)
do you have a pulpit? My 2320 does not, I have a 16lb bruce and don't have this issue. how freely does your chain come out of the locker? I'd look at seeing if the way the chain falls in the locker is causing the issue.

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
do you have a pulpit? My 2320 does not, I have a 16lb bruce and don't have this issue. how freely does your chain come out of the locker? I'd look at seeing if the way the chain falls in the locker is causing the issue.
I do have a pulpit. My chain is pretty free and there is slack but the anchor just lays on the pulpit.

I’m thinking it’s not balanced.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
It's the way the Parkers sit all bow up. Put a smart level on the anchor way. Then add the roller.

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
Not on a parker, but for what its worth, my bruce anchor (110 pound) also needs a nudge to get started. I never gave it a second thought. What am I missing?
Nothing really just prefer to press button and have it free fall instead of asking someone to help give it a nudge lol.

A-K

Jun 14, 2015
Washington
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2320
My boat is without a pulpit. Would you mind posting a picture of how your anchor is set up (the roller part). Thanks!

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
...Doing it the easy way could cost you big time in money and fish..Frequently, the anchor twists and is not in position to come up over the roller properly without someone on deck to guide it correctly...trying to time it in limited vis over a cabin could lead to the anchor jamming against the plank, cracking the bolt holes and fiberglass .
....Not having someone to jiggle the anchor loose from the rocks before engaging the winch can result in a stuck anchor putting excessive pressure against the winch internal gears, breaking a gearhead off the small spindle (a $200 repair)..Lewmar winches are prone to do this..Again, money wasted on repairs..When anchored, rope pressure should always be on a cleat, not the winch....Don't ask me how I learned this.....:(
....Running with an anchor not cleated off is an accident waiting to happen...if the anchor bounces and goes overboard, you could end up losing the ground gear and possibly needing new props...Also, Parkers have limited rope locker capacity...It is not unusual to jam the rope in the winch if it bunches up inside the locker...An on deck helper could save you from a lot of issues..
...When anchoring, we very quietly lower the anchor rig by hand avoiding noise (when at the islands, I store the chain and anchor in a milk carton as we winch it in..no wasted time when dropping anchor again)....this has resulted in catching white sea bass and other fish right under the boat on more than one occasion...Letting everything free fall will spook every gamefish for a half block away...Just some things to consider...
...Also, 22 lbs seems pretty heavy for a 23'er...I have a 16 lb claw anchor on my 25 and it works great..The key is lots of chain which keeps the anchor parallel to the bottom and prevents it from pulling straight up when in bouncy conditions...
...Errrr, also learned this the hard way when my first boat had 6' of anchor chain and drifted away from Ship Rock while we were in the water spearfishing….Almost dark; a long swim toward Bird Rock for help; and luck; the last skiff heading into the Isthmus heard my calls for help; picked me up and recovered my boat a half mile east of the Rock....:(
...Moral: " An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Last edited:

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
You need someone on the pulpit for deploying and retrieving, and you need to be able to clearly communicate to avoid losing a finger and all the reasons above.

Also a snubber. Mine is a stainless hook with three strand anchor rode braided on. Keeps it in place when it is in the rollers.

Jmart233

Aug 14, 2015
Lakewood, Ca
Name
Joe Martin
Boat
2016 Parker 2320 Sport Cabin
I have the same anchor and I always need to give it a little nudge. No biggie and always tie the rope off to the cleat. There is always more than just me on the boat so its not a big deal.

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
I have the same anchor and I always need to give it a little nudge. No biggie and always tie the rope off to the cleat. There is always more than just me on the boat so its not a big deal.
Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me or my setup.

Always have a guy up front, but just different from previous boat where it was automatic on the drop.