2320 bait tank install

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by Guy Schneider, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Guy Schneider

Guy Schneider Tail Whip

Name:
    Tail Whip
    Boat:
    2007 Parker 2320
    Hi all. Im a new Parker owner after recently purchasing a rarely used 2007 from RI. First order of business is to install the bait tank. Ive purchased a Pacific Edge and having FBU install the tank and add 8-10 more rod holders while its in the shop.

A buddy of mine has a 2520 and is recommending I set up two 6 volt batteries as isolated "house" batteries and run the pump and all other house accesories off the 2 parralell 6v. He also suggested running a single Jabsco Cyclone with no inline strainer.

Is this the "standard" setup or is this the "premium upgrade". Seems like the right way to go and definately for the Jabsco pump since it pulls 13 amps and will kill normal 12v batteries in no time. Alternatively the Shurflo Bait Sentry pulls only 3.5 amps and may prevent having to install the extra 6v house batteries (more weight more money).

Im wondering if its sufficient to just run the Shurflo with an in line strainer between the pickup and the pump off of the two 12volts already in the boat or if it is highly recommended to run the Jabsco off of 2 parralel 6volts?

Your experience and wisdom here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Personally, on my current Parker, I have it set up with a strainer with the cyclone pump on a 12 volt system. I have two house batteries. Many times, I run both pumps at the same time since I use the boat tank on the stern concurrently. I have never had an issue with running low on power or draining battery. hope that helps.

InDeepShip likes this.
  3. Craig PW

Craig PW Always Learning

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    2017 Parker 2320
    Check out my thread "my Parker 2320 Build." I just posted my bait tank install. Like fishingguy, I also run the cyclone pump on the 12v system with a sea-strainer. I would very much recommend the sea strainer. You will inevitably pull some debris in through your pickup and it will save you from having to disassemble the pump to clear it out. And as you know, it's cramped in the bilge.

I would say the Jabsco cyclone is the "standard" install. When I picked up my bait tank from Mark Wisch, it was what he recommended, along with the sea strainer. He's obviously the guy to listen to.

This past season I did try running my bait tank over-night on a single battery with the boat turned off. In the morning, the battery is too weak to turn the engine over. I switched over to the other battery to start and the alternator started putting juice back into the drained battery. I also had a booster pack as a back-up. However, I don't think this was the best idea for battery longevity (I'm putting in Lifeline AGM batteries at the beginning of next season) and I am considering other ways for running a bait tank overnight.

4. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I can't imagine not having a strainer. Every though hull on my boat has one -- the huge intakes for the mains, the 120v spa pumps for the bait tank, the gensets, the AC intakes, even the 12v pump for the saltwater ice maker. And they all collect crap that could/ would clog a pump.

I also agree with the 6v batteries, although depending on how the boat is already wired, you might want to dedicate them to the bait tank.

Also, those cyclone pumps are noisey, and the noise is disconcerting since they sound like metal grinding on metal. Make sure to mount them with rubber grommets and not on a piece of plywood or anything else that will resonate and effectively amplify the noise.

5. MarMax

MarMax Bohica butt Wgasa

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Parker 2530
    I used a Shurflo bait sentry 800 for years on my 21 center console with a 45 gallon tank and it worked great. Currently I have a Pacific Edge PE85D tank. Never have bait die unless it's crap from the start. I still run 800 gph pumps, now the Rule's, so one pump for each side of the tank to reduce the current draw. At 3.5 to 4 A max compared to 7-8A and up for the typical single 1100 gph setup.

The 800 gph size is perfect for a 40-50 gallon tank. I'm typically running with only one side (45 gals) of the bait tank, or two sides half full, so only only one pump running.

I have a 1-1/4 raw water inlet with a strainer. The strainer is a must have if you are running a Shurflo or Rule type pump as they don't have the power to suck up and chop up anything like the Jabsco 1100. A small piece of eel grass can ruin your whole day without the strainer.

I'm running 12V batteries. I have a Group 31 house battery that runs the electronics and bait pumps and then two Group 27's for the mains. I also have a jumper that I can manually install to jump from the house to the mains in case it's needed.

6. Guy Schneider

Guy Schneider Tail Whip

Name:
    Tail Whip
    Boat:
    2007 Parker 2320
    This is great input. Thank you all.

7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    If you're going to overnight on the anchor with the bait pump running go with the 6volt system. You can buy them at costco for about $120 each. Those two 6v wired in parallel will give you the battery capacity of 3 deep cycle batteries with the benefit of being cheaper and very durable. Just check the water levels a couple times a year and refill with distilled water.

The Cyclone is a great pump but it really designed for bigger boats. It will work great in your application but it does draw a lot of amps. Despite what it says above, they are super silent. With the 6 volts you shoudl have enough juice to run overnight but not much more i'd guess.

The Shurflo Sentry on the other hand is a great pump as well and draws much less current. You might consider this if you anchor a lot.

You're on the right track. Good luck.

FknChristopH likes this.
  8. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Bangarang

Name:
    flyhigh123
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    i have the bait sentry 1000, solid pump, no issues. More than enough flow for my 60 gallon bait tank, but i dont have the stern tank like the new parkers do.