Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat Name
Sunbird Neptune 230
Whatsup guys, so I picked this boat up beginning of last season. its a 1997 Sunbird Neptune WA. Pretty bare bones had a nice fish finder, a low hour good running evinrude 2 banger. Treated that engine like a king. Long story short the outboard cowling seal fell off and the very last outing water got sucked in the engine and seized. My plans were to repower down the road anyways but not within the first two months of owning it haha. Kind of missed the entire peak season last year at the boat yard. I wanted to repower to a 225 or 250 but was worried as those big four strokes were over 100 pounds heavier than the 2 stroke that was on there. Ended up deciding on a Yamaha f200 i4 because I was identical in weight to the 2 stroke. I was worried it would be underpowered because I assumed 4 strokes still couldnt compare to 2 strokes in terms of power. Boy was I wrong. The new f200 has the most ridiculous hole shot and tops out at 40 knots. Absolutely screaming. The old 2 stroke would hit around 36. Couple that with some extra large 2 stroke fuel tanks and an average fuel burn of almost 5mpg my fuel range just extended north of 500 miles. When they installed the motor I gave them the green light to update the whole dash to look tittys. I installed a 40 gallon blue water bait tank myself and that thing keeps bait alive ridiculously well. The dash new starboard panels covering the cubby that was there, there is a new Icom VHF flush mounted, flush mounted the garmin echo map, flush mounted fuel flow monitor, 2 new rocker panels one of which is wired one is for extras. Added underwater lights and added a nice bimini top as well. Photos with the 2 stroke was the day I got it. Photos with the yamaha are what it is now. Insane difference. Feels like a brand new boat inside and out. Really glad I did this. Got another list for next season that include a radar arch, radar, rocket launchers, stereo system. Stoked on how this turned out.
IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_4971.JPG
IMG_5901.JPG

Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
Bay Area
Name
Dan
Boat Name
23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
The new f200 has the most ridiculous hole shot and tops out at 40 knots. Absolutely screaming. The old 2 stroke would hit around 36. Couple that with some extra large 2 stroke fuel tanks and an average fuel burn of almost 5mpg my fuel range just extended north of 500 miles.

Holy moly! I'd say that you made a good choice.

Reactions: Drew Stephens
Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat Name
Sunbird Neptune 230
how much did you end up spending total, planning to repower my 22wa soon ?

Was about 23 for the outboard and rigging. Yamaha will finance rigging too. I came up with an extra 8 for them to go ahead and redo the entire dash, trash the old motor, drain, clean and dispose of about 100 gallons of 2 stroke mixed fuel. They said it would have been significantly cheaper if I was replacing another 4 stroke as you could use the old rigging. I literally had to remove absolutely everything and replace with brand new. Was the best decision I made though its literally a brand new boat. I just installed a stereo system in it today as well.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

WESTCOASTSPREADERBARS.COM
Advertiser
Aug 23, 2004
Offshore 32* 42 / 119* 08
Name
RICK
Boat Name
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
the new merc v8's weigh as much as a 2 stroke. my motor only weighs 520lbs... 2021 merc 250 pro xs v8. this new motor is incredible.

Upvote 0