fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Left Shelter Island by 4:00 AM Thursday. Lost my hat on the way to the bait dock, could not find it in the dark of the new moon. Healthy 4' deens with a few larger ones mixed in. Enough pieces in a full scoop to chum live all we want. Outside the harbor, it's snotty with the boat bouncing in the dark at 12 mph for 2 hours to the grounds. On the way the boat hits a good drop as I'm leaning forward, and I take the fish finder to the upper lip like a hockey puck. Bloody decks at 4:45 AM.

Find a spot in the 1 by 5 mile boat convention, drop a bait in with a brail, and I'm bit in 10 seconds. No one was moving in the flotilla, so it is a huge area of biting fish. Had my limit by 9:30 AM, and my buddy finished his off by noon. 20 # FC and #2 J-hooks worked well, in 71.5 F water temp.

Headed home found a kelp 1/2 mile from fleet and pulled a couple of yellowtail off it. Great Day!

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
That’s a quality day Jim!
Thanks Steve and everyone else! Small bait=lots of bait=live chum=lots of YFT.

Great video, Your buddy is killing all your bait.
I told him to look for a hot blonde, and I think he took me literally!

4-foot sardines?!?!? That IS healthy! :p
And there was some bigger ones too!

Nothing like taking a buddy fishing and you doing all the work. Sucks about losing you had! Oh well, thanks for the report.
He learned alot yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo-Fish
Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Sorry to hear that, kind of what I expected though since I havn't seen a report from you in quite a while. Everybody should go catch a fish in your honor!

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Not so good, Deltoid repaired over a year ago, strained again.
Now Cellulitis in an old scar, drained, getting treatments. I doubt
I'll fish at all this season if not better soon. News at 11. LOL
Ron buddy so sorry to hear this!! Hope the best for you!! If you want some fish I can give you some. Take care!! Jeff

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0