Otto

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Made about 20 mackerel in San Diego Harbor in the dark and made it to the 226 45 minutes after dawn. Foamer yellowfin her and then there. Didn't see or hear of any catching. Just a show. I got hooked up twice slow trolling mackerel on 15 pound flourocarbon. Broke the line on one and the hook pulled on the other. Got to North Island and boated a 12 pound yellow on another mackerel. Once it was known that I caught a yellow, three divers took my spot. Should have never told another fisherman.

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Sorry divers made a bad scene! I do not think divers change the fishing potential, as divers strive to not scare fish. Can't shoot them if they are scared/fleeing! Just my 2 cents-

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
If you slow troll Macks, go to heavier line. If they hit you bait, 40lb plus will not matter. The whole thing with light line is so the fish keeps moving in a free motion. When you are slow trolling, your bait is moving, go heavy line.
I slowed trolled on 25 pound first with nothing. The yellowfin aren't that big. Had a bigger one hooked for a while and applied lots of pressure before the hook pulled. Lots of show and lots of fisherman complaining. After hooking a different one, he went right into the paddy I was fishing and wrapped up in the kelp before breaking the line.
I slow troll then release line for a better presentation. The 15 pound does a better job.

Reactions: Hardcor