22.5ft Complete restoration...

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by tamezjos, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mongo75

mongo75 Newbie

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    25' 1968 Luhrs
    Hey Josh- what kinda carpet are you gonna get in the cabin? Any new pics bro?

2. Tuna

Tuna Tuna

Name:
    Damian Santucci
    Boat:
    None
    Man, i wish i knew how to do that type of work. It's an art for sure!

3. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom

Danny, good to see u around here again, when are you getting back to your boat?

Carpet is marine grade, installation is all finished now but I haven't taken any pictures of it, I'll do and post them up.

In the meantime I'll do another update.

4. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    Making the fish boxes, Part 1...

I got 2 rectangular and 2 "irregular", as you can see on the "red" lids.

342.JPG

Here is one of the rough-molds for the rectangular box.

430.JPG

And now the mold covered with fiberglass, no core.

431.JPG

Here is one of the "irregular"-size boxes, no core.

432.JPG

This is the lid that covers a tray that is on the transom. This lid will also complete a "bench" on the transom, so core will be used in this part. Here is the mold, with first layers of fiberglass.

433.JPG

As always cabosil thickened resin is used before the core and also to cover the core before applying the rest of the fiberglass layers.

434.JPG

Being that I'm not perfect and that the lid was done on a cold day, I had an area on the lid that did not cure. Had to cut away this area and apply new fiberglass.

435.JPG

436.JPG

Before applying new cabosil/resin had to make sure all the not-cured-resin was removed.

437.JPG

And it looked like this after the layers of fiberglass.

438.JPG

Still had to cover some areas with cabosil/resin and then sand the part. Here it is sanded and in its resting place before being hit with gelcoat.

439.JPG

Applying gelcoat

441.JPG

I need to unload a bunch of pictures from my camera so I can continue.... I'll be back.

Josh out...

5. fishaholic 1

fishaholic 1 fishaholic 1

Name:
    Jeff Saunders
    Boat:
    21' Striper
    dude that is so awsome, we are not worthy. what a bitchen project and beautifull boat great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    I forgot to upload this pix, these are the boxes after coming out of the molds. Since I had 4 boxes total and they where not identical I had to make 4 molds.
    The boxes got gelcoated and installed on their respective places.

440.JPG

I'll show how the final installation of these fishboxes looks in the next update.

Josh out...

7. Wideflange

Wideflange Newbie

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    '20 Mako CC
    Ah.......holding out on us....??? Nice work. I usually have to increased catylist up 35% when mixing cab or microballoons. Otherwise, the resin wont kick. I also put a heat lamp near by too, especially when I'm laying mulit layers when they are just green and no fully kicked. Vinylester I'm talking about here. All I have ever used is Vinyl and Poly. My next one will be Epoxy.......no more stink.

Are you waxing the gelcoat mix?

Can't wait to see her finished.

8. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    Thanks Jeff, I know my design is different and everybody has their idea of how it should be and to those people I say: build your boat with your own hands and then talk to me. So I appreciate when fellows like you like my boat, at the end I'm not trying to please anybody but myself, and offer some advise to those who are interested in taking it regardless of their own ideas.

9. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    Hey Greg, I just don't have the pictures at hand, the boat is 20 something miles from where I live now and the camera is "with the boat" so to speak.

Yes I usually increase the catalyst too but forgot to do it this one time, after all it had been a while and I was kind of distracted, I ended up paying for my mistake as I had to put in more time to fix it. I've never had to use heat lamps, regardless of the layers that go in, I just keep the amount of catalyst in check and balance it out with the final thickness I'm aiming for.
    Call me sick but I love the stink, and I'm no junkie.

I'm not waxing the gelcoat mix, I explained this somewhere along the the post, I just use partall 10.

10. Wideflange

Wideflange Newbie

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    '20 Mako CC
    Right on. ....."holdin out........." just bustin your chops. Keep going

11. glenniesan

glenniesan Newbie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    maybe some day
    I may be a late to the party but I gotta say this is an epic restoration! You've got some serious talent there dude. Beautiful boat!

I probably missed it but I'm curious - what have you named her?

12. Zeta

Zeta Newbie

Name:
    Ricardo
    Boat:
    This dude its my brother in law,and he is a genius,I remember when he bought this boat back in 2001 or 2002, and seen what he did to the boat...its amazing!!!!.
    ....Josh you are my hero,and thank God I had the privilege to be in that boat in Loreto Baja Mexico with you and our families, that was a great trip.
    We already know he is a true craftsman but check he's abilities as a fisherman.....I love you cuñadito.

Attached Files:

13. Judson

Judson Newbie

Name:
    Isaac aka "Wingnut"
    Boat:
    14' Valco
    I just spent 3 hours reading through this thread and I couldn't wait to get to the next page to see all the new updates. It was like reading a good book that you can't put down! As everyone else has said AWESOME!

I think my favorite quote from this build was the guy who said "this is sweet, but I'm also a redneck!" hahhaha

-Isaac

14. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    Thanks for your words Glenn & ISaac, glad you enjoyed it.

ZETA: Gracias por tus palabritas cuñao, como te lo he dicho antes, eres el hermano que nunca tuve, y si lo hubiera tenido no creo que fuera tan agradable como tu, un abrazo.

15. AquaHunter

AquaHunter Hardcore Deaf Fisherman

Name:
    Ray Ayus Jr
    Boat:
    20’ Grady White Overnighter
    I'm really admiring your work there. I hope one day to service your boat so I can see it in person.

16. Pavelarde

Pavelarde Newbie

Name:
    Pavel
    Boat:
    none
    Jejeje este me hizo reir, estoy bien picado con las fotos y los comments.

17. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    I like the Mexican flag mounted on your boat... :D

Attached Files:

18. bburrito

bburrito Nothing to see here...

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Awesome work! I was afraid that I was going to have to pay someone to do a lot of the work I need to do on my boat but after seeing this thread it has answered a lot of questions that I have had. I do have a few more though that I was hoping that you could answer.

The bolts and screws that are going through the finished transom, are you sealing the holes first before you put the bolts through so that no wood is exposed? What do you seal it with? How about the deck, how did you seal the space between the deck and the gunwale? Also, there are some places where I have ground out spidercracks as well as some gouges taken out of the existing gelcoat. Would I just use a cabosil paste to fill it in and fair it prior to gelcoating?

19. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom

20. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Great job on your restoration! Got one question for you - How is the combination of the check valve/scuppers? Does the check valve require much volume of water to open it? I wanted to put scuppers on my 17' Seaswirl CC, as it is not self bailing. This looks like the ideal set up. Tight lines, Jimmy

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009