22.5ft Complete restoration...

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by tamezjos, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Luhr'd Away

Luhr'd Away Member

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    40' Luhrs Convertible, Luhr'd Away (SOLD)
  2. aloharob

aloharob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    40' Cabo Flybridge "Magellan" and 19' Boston Whaler "BobKat"
    I just spent an hour going through this post. It's one of the most amazing posts I've ever seen on any website. The detailed information, pics etc. are out of this world. Forget the time spent working on the boat, I can't imagine how much time it took you just to do all the posts and replies.

I'm speechless - it's just incredibly impressive. The boat is beautiful.

I saw in one of your posts that you don't itch from fiberglass. I didn't read all the replies so maybe somebody already covered this but guys I know who have worked with that stuff for a long time say that they don't itch anymore either - the immune response that causes the itching just dies off after a while I guess.

Congratulations on your outstanding achievement in turning a broken and battered hulk into a work of art!!!!!!!!

3. BuonaForTuna

BuonaForTuna Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
    WOW just a great post all together from the trailer rebuild to that nice pilot house built from nothing, GREAT work.

4. sdfish02

sdfish02 Newbie

Name:
    carl
    Boat:
    21 parker
    so did u copy the gallilean wheelhouse or what? and with the pilot house big so tall and so much glass used how bad does that thing roll? nice work!!!

Attached Files:

5. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    26' Seaswirl Striper
    Ok, so I saw a BD link on another site saying this was a must see and so I decided to check it out....

Then I get here and see this boat, and the beginnings on a pilot house house project and thought, "ok, this is going to be a disaster". Then I watch in amazement through 26 pages of of the most in depth, time intensive, incredible rebuild I have ever seen. Josh, what a project. I suspect that had you known what you were getting into, this project may have never started, but man am I glad you shared it. When you ran into the transom rot, I thought, here we go, all for not, and yet you worked through it.

Anyway, I learned a ton, and think you did an incredible job, and want to thank you for recorfing and posting the project. If you have any finished photos, inside photos, or on the water info, I hope you share.

RO

6. johnr

johnr Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    19' Smoker Craft
    Josh I have great admiration for you. You are the Man, a true craftsman!!

7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Hey Josh,

Aweesome project.

I sent you a PM. That thing definately needs a BD decal or 6.

:D

Mike1258 likes this.
  8. zarco

zarco i got crabs on my dinghy!

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    26` blackman billfisher,19.5' buccaneer center console.( from New Zealand)
    Just caught this thread. Read all 26 pages .Absolutely amazing! Here I am thinking that patching and recutting the hole from an omc drive was going to be a shit load of work. A you go build a whole new boat. That's awesome!

9. MikFly

MikFly Bottom Banger!

Name:
    Miki
    Boat:
    '96 Trophy 1802 w/ '04 Honda 150 & 8
    Josh - like others have said, awesome job! Please post pictures of it on the water!

Question: looking back, what would you have done differently now that you are here?

10. jaw1970

jaw1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Koa Honu 28 Skipjack
    Josh, we need an update, I NEED an update, your thread keeps me motivated.

11. nymack66

nymack66 Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Wellcraft v20
    First and foremost please allow me to correct myself I seriously questioned the buoyancy of this boat during the project. I stand corrected.
    I just completed a restoration of 84 Wellcraft V20 everything from a new transom to complete gel coat.
    Your craftsmanship is never to be question period.
    I have said one can't motivate one can inspire, inspire you did !
    Enjoy your Boat and God Bless !

12. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    Miki,

There are two things that come to mind that I would have done differently, one is to put more weight on the bow area, the 2nd would be to reduce the height of the pilot house by 4"-6".

Josh

13. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    Guys thanks for all the kind words, I have been very busy with other "chores" of life and had to put the boat project on hold for a while, I'm back now, I've already made 5 more molds and the parts have come out of the oven. I will resume posting updates on my project shortly. I won't be blazing thru my remaining tasks to finish the boat since I don't have a deadline like last year, so be patient this time around.

One thing that I haven't mentioned and I've made up my mind on this issue back in july/08 was that I was going to replace my 2-25gal-above-deck-gas-aft-tanks (near the transom) with a 70gal-fore-below-deck-tank. This will help me balance the weight that now is greater in the transom area.

For all of you that have asked for pictures of the boat on the water, I'm sorry to say that I don't have but one relevant picture of my maiden voyage trip in Loreto in July/08, since then, I've made a lot of modifications to the boat, clearly the blue tone and trim are the most noticeable. Here is the picture.

Josh out...

Attached Files:

14. Fishingtail

Fishingtail Fishingtail

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    18', Seaswirl CC, Fishingtail
    :drunk
    Hi Josh

She looks good, thanks for the quick update. I had to put my project boat on hold also for a time so I can concentrate on keeping the business afloat. I'm really looking forward to see the work you have done since the last update. Thanks
    Bob out

15. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    The Scuppers that I used were: T-H Marine Flow-Max Ball Scupper, I used 2 on each side of the vessel and I placed an extra in-line-check-valve to make sure water does not enter the boat as scuppers are known to take water.
    415b.jpg

Here is my "layout", left to right: Scupper, Bulkhead, fitting, in-line check valve, thru-hull drain.
    416.JPG

The thru-hull drain seats flush on deck.
    416b.JPG

I drilled two holes on each side of the transom.
    417.JPG

418.JPG

The Bulkhead was installed from the inside, cabosil/resin paste was used for the installation, leaving the outside flush. Pilot holes were drilled for the scupper.
    419.JPG

From the outside you can peek thru the transom hole to see the thru-hull-flush-mount-drains.
    419b.JPG

Here is a view from the outside you can see the hose and the check valve. You can notice how the hose is slightly directed upwards, this is to maximize the effect of the check valve and proper drainage.
    420.JPG

The base of the scupper's were installed using SS screws and a sealer.
    421.JPG

Here is how it looks from the outside. I don't have a picture from the inside of the boat, I'll take it next time I'm on the boat and post it on this same update.
    422.JPG

Next up were the 10" cleats. I made backing "plates" out of fiberglass and here they are.
    423.JPG

424.JPG

Holes are drilled for the cleats, making sure not to "crack" the gelcoat.
    425.JPG

Cleat fastened and sealed.
    426.JPG

That's all for now....

Josh out...

16. bobmoise

bobmoise Pescador

Name:
    Taylor
    Boat:
    Outer Banks Boat Club
    amazing man! that is epic

17. captainelfshoe

captainelfshoe Newbie

Name:
    thomas
    Boat:
    parker 2120
    you are my role model

18. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    I think the only problem people have is finding the words to express how great this thread and your rebuild project is because:

:worship:we're not worthy!!

Josh this thread is the :urno1:

PS: If you are unfamiliar with this site check it out:

http://www.fishyfish.com/index.html

buncha' crazy guys building boats from 19'-24' from scratch.

19. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    These are the pictures I promised on the last update.

Attached Files:

• 424.JPG
      424.JPG
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
    • 425.JPG
      425.JPG
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  20. tamezjos

tamezjos Got Fish?

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23 Custom
    I pulled the trigger on a new aluminum custom fuel tank I will install below the waterline around the helm area, it's a 95 gallon tank, $400, so I'm tearing down the floor on the cabin to make room for the big tank, this tank will let me remove my two 25gal-under-gunnel-tanks but I will keep my mid-ship 27gal tank, I'll end up having 122gal to go the distance.

I also got the upholstery guy coming in tomorrow to install the new carpets on the V-berth too. Doing everything new, seat-cushions, walls, ceiling, back-rests, and for the cabin I'm getting a long seat cushion for my bench (3 person bench) and a single-person seat cushion for my other seat.

I'm doing the details and boy do they consume time.