"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
Hey josh,
Man you've certainly created the best thread I've read in a long time on the complete overhaul of a boat hull.

Not a criticism, just a question on how you figured the weights that you've added "above the chine" and how it will make the boat handle differently? Lots of added material above the CG of the boat. And just weights in general.

Thanks for the awesome display of your project!

dg

JPSURF

Nov 12, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Jason Patterson
Boat
14' X-Factor - Now Hobie Trial
Where's my next fix?

I find myself checking this thread daily!!

Keep um coming!!

Great thread.

JP

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Ok guys.... I know you don't care but I've been busy, very busy...

I will post an update tonight...

I got to get my z's

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
On June 21 my sister came down from Reno for a trip we had planned 8 months before to Loreto. It was my goal to finish the boat to take it on this trip. I wasn't able to finish the boat, but I had done just enough to take it on the trip and break in the sterndrive. At this time the bait tank was not completed and I didn't have my outriggers.

I ended up not sleeping for 42 hours before departing at 9pm on June 22, we figured we would make it to San Quintin and get some rest there and proceed to our destination, after a fiasco driving 1/2 sleep to San Quintin I finally made it in one piece.

Here we are in San Quintin the following morning getting ready to resume our journey.

00.JPG

This trip was conceived as a family trip, not a fishing trip, I have 4 little kids and my sister has 3. I had planned to squeeze 4 days for fishing, it ended up being just 3. I was dumb enough to take the boat by myself for the first time in Loreto instead of our own waters here in San Diego, but fortunately everything went smooth.

Here is the wake of the boat

01.JPG

Typical sunrise in Loreto

02.JPG

Because of the late departure and being half sleep I forgot Loretos fishing map. The first day just getting to know the boat was a big thing for me. I liked how it handled, making sharp turns it leaned just like a skippy would.

The first day getting to know the area we still managed to get some bottom dwellers. Thumbs-up

03.JPG

Managed to get into the squid bite. Here is the smallest

04.JPG

My wife got in the squid action....

06.JPG

But she quickly decided She'd rather take the view from the bow with our youngest while we scored on bigger squid.

07.JPG

A bigger model resisting from being pulled into the boat. Squid are a blast. I had three consecutive squids throw their ink/water at my 14 year old nephew.

08.JPG

We had a ton of squid and had to leave them after filling the cooler. Fresh panko-squid that night... great eats...

My oldest, Jenny, watching the trolled lures...

05.JPG

On our final day I decided to make a run for it and I ventured "offshore" about 28 miles on a NE direction. We found a paddy and got 12 from that one. Here are some pics.

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

In the end the trip was a success. It was my first time trailering down baja and everything went smooth. I was able to get to the fish even though I had no map of the area and I had no incidents, the engine ran flawlessly.

Sunset in Loreto

14.JPG

I have 3/4 of the next update where I take the boat off the trailer, put it on blocks in my backyard and re-finish the hull. That one will be uploaded tomorrow.

Josh out

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Outstanging Josh!!!

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Here is how the swim platform / bait tank looks mounted on the transom. You can also see a few rod holders, placing them atop the p-house would make them un-reachable. Note how the gelcoat above the rub rail needs to be refinished, I opted on gelcoating this area.

359.JPG

You can see the antifouling paint is being removed from the bottom, but not all of it can come off if the boat is on the trailer. I brought some foam locks to use as supports for the boat.

360.JPG

I used two 6-ton jacks to raise the boat. First I raised the stern of the boat and held it there with the foam blocks.

361.JPG

Having raised the stern, I found a spot under the trailer where I could raise the bow and pull the trailer forward. This is done in small increments, as the bow support has to be moved time after time in order for the trailer cross members to go past this support point. The Explanation follows.

362.JPG

363.JPG

364.JPG

365.JPG

EXPLANATION: The bow support is done with a jack and 2x4 wood blocks. I raise the bow placing the jack as close to the forward x-member (on the bow area), I pull the trailer forward till the next x-member almost touches the jack, then I lower the boat on the 2x4 wood blocks which are placed immediately following the x-member that is now behind the jack. This process is repeated several times until the trailer clears the last x-member.

366.JPG

367.JPG

368.JPG

372.JPG

373.JPG

And after the last x-member the trailer is free.

374.JPG

375.JPG

This is how the bottom looked. Removing the antif-paint was hard, the best method ended up being sanding it off.

369.JPG

370.JPG

371.JPG

After the hull was cleaned with acetone the gelcoating started, 4 coats. Here is how it looks before applying the sealer.

378.JPG

379.JPG

As I said before the first picture in this update, the area above the rub rail was refinished with a couple coats of gelcoat.

380.JPG

381.JPG

The gelcoat needs to be isolated from air (air-inhibited) so it will cure, this is done with a film on top of the gelcoat, you can either go with a "surfacing agent" or PVA (Polyvinyl Alcohol), I went with PVA, Partall # 10, here it's being sprayed on the gelcoat

382.JPG

383.JPG

384.JPG

385.JPG

The bottom of the hull also has to be sprayed with partall # 10 as this area has just been gelcoated, both areas were done at the same time.

386.JPG

387.JPG

388.JPG

389.JPG

You don't see this in the pictures but when the gelcoat was sprayed I had taped the rub-rail, after the PVA goes in and before everything dries, the tape is removed. If the tape removal is done after the gelcoat dries, when you remove the tape you will separate/break/crack the gelcoat.

390.JPG

391.JPG

The hull bottom gelcoated and with the PVA.

392.JPG

393.JPG

394.JPG

Here are my outriggers installed, the antenna was later re-aligned. There is my Led all-around white light, and some rod holders. A grab rail on top of the pilot house makes walking around the p-house safe.

376.JPG

377.JPG

On the next update I will show how the hull sides were painted.

Josh out

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Josh....what is the material your using to set the boat on?.....the white blocks?....

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Josh....what is the material your using to set the boat on?.....the white blocks?....
Frank,

I'm in the foam recycle business, that is expanded plastic, we make condensed foam blocks, they are hard as concrete and very strong. The surface on the layer of the block is softer and won't damage the hull.

The blocks I used for the boat were made of polypro which are a little rubbery, that's why there is a little "give" here and there.

Josh

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Frank,

I'm in the foam recycle business, that is expanded plastic, we make condensed foam blocks, they are hard as concrete and very strong. The surface on the layer of the block is softer and won't damage the hull.

The blocks I used for the boat were made of polypro which are a little rubbery, that's why there is a little "give" here and there.

Josh
Now I know where I can get some blocks for my boat when I need to dry dock it!.....

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
A lot of people see this thread but only a handful actually say something about it. You like it, don't like it, hate it, whatever... just say it, that's the whole idea of posting something like this.

MarioC55

Apr 10, 2007
Orange County
Name
Mario
Boat
15' Hobie Power Skiff
if anyone can a mexican ...

serious work man ...
reminds me of rebuilding my searay 24' cuddy..

good work always pays off... enjoy your time on the water...

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
A lot of people see this thread but only a handful actually say something about it. You like it, don't like it, hate it, whatever... just say it, that's the whole idea of posting something like this.
I did! I asked how much heavier it is now than when you started and what that does to the handling.

But no answer yet.

Just asking about GVW stuff esse!

dg

fishnbuddy

Jun 10, 2007
Murrieta
Name
Junior
Awesome work still! I look forward to every update!! Congrats on the maiden voyage, I'm sure there will be many more memories on it!
...jr.

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
I did! I asked how much heavier it is now than when you started and what that does to the handling.

But no answer yet.

Just asking about GVW stuff esse!

dg
Carl, I knew there was one question I missed, I was just going to go back and search for it to answer it, now I wont have to, thanks

I removed a lot of weight (wood) from the original design, I didn't take the boat to a scale before starting, nor ever for that matter.

The boat didn't run before I started working on it, so I can't compare how it ran, I can't do a before and after, but I would say that the boat is heavier, but not more than 400 lbs, considering all the weight that was taken off the boat.

In the sea trial on San Diego bay with some chop, it handled great, it tracks really good. It has the same properties as any other pilot house, but then again that's that's what it is. :frehya2:

Josh