PaDDy Killer'

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
That boat is looking killer! Great work Josh, how about some shots of the inside when you have a chance. Great job getting it off the trailer, you did a great job!:worship:

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Hi Again Josh, I did say that based on your obvious experience that I figured you did the research on the issue of potential roll over..
I had a boat with the controls up top and when it got really rough out there...sometimes I felt like I could stick my finger in the water on port or starboard sides from the helm.. Good to hear you are planning for extra ballast below decks.
Again great job and no insults intended :)
Non taken buddy... I think your concern is very appropriate as others have also showed, and I thank you all for this; I'm just trying to communicate how I dealt with the issue and the outcome.

Octavio

Jul 17, 2008
O C
Name
Octavio
Boat
N/A
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!! whats next? don't stop posting I would like to see the final minimal details and any underway reports.... thanks again for the great post makes me want to build my own boat!

Octavio

cochito

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 9, 2007
orange county
Name
omar
Boat
zodiac
Bitchin' boat Josh......That pilothouse makes an Osprey look bad! The next time you're in Loreto trailer the boat another 15 miles south of town and launch at Puerto Escondido to fish Isla Monserrate & Catalan.... There's a great little spot called the Smorgasbord Reef of the end of Catalan that makes for great fishing...... If you need help washing the blood off all that nice gelcoat you laid down, let me know....I'd love to tug on some WSB's / YT's with you down Erendira way......

felo83

Oct 7, 2008
Chula Vista / CA
Name
Felo
Boat
none
hey big... as you know i found this thread a couple of days ago, i want to congratulate you for your project; the boat, the documentation everything is very very impresive..., just as I teached you to handle projects, I am very proud!!!

I just have one question, when are we going fishing?

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
hey big... as you know i found this thread a couple of days ago, i want to congratulate you for your project; the boat, the documentation everything is very very impresive..., just as I teached you to handle projects, I am very proud!!!

I just have one question, when are we going fishing?
Classmates... what can you say.... as much as I ripped felo's shirts back in school he still doesn't get it...

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
Non taken buddy... I think your concern is very appropriate as others have also showed, and I thank you all for this; I'm just trying to communicate how I dealt with the issue and the outcome.
So what was the total amount of resin and sq. ft. of materials used? Just trying to get an idea of total of material used? I can't fathom the quantity. It's a very in depth project.

Thansk!

dg

tresmonos

Sep 18, 2008
Poway, CA
Name
Ivan
Boat
32' LNG
Dont belive this Bozo, he doesnt have a clue on Boat's, the real guy doing the job is the guy on the pictures (Jorge), he's taking all the credit for him.

LOL

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Tresmonos can kiss my rear-end...

Ivan is a close friend and has escaped from helping me, he only comes to my house when I light the BBQ. You... :Backstab_emoticon:

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
So what was the total amount of resin and sq. ft. of materials used? Just trying to get an idea of total of material used? I can't fathom the quantity. It's a very in depth project.

Thansk!

dg
I don't have the exact numbers but I've bought 3 full rolls of biaxial, about 24 pails of resin, 3 pails of gelcoat, 6 pails of acetone, 2 pails PVA, sandpaper/discs galore, and more stuff I'd rather not think about ...

Josh

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Pinche big... i haven't forget that you still owe me a couple of shirts...

i have a deal for you; a day fishing and we are even, deal??
You got it buddy, now lets wait till the tuna come back.... it shouldn't be too much... just a couple of months....

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
The next step was to paint the hull sides with gelcoat, color: dark blue. This gelcoat was bought already mixed at DMC (fiberglasswarehouse.com). I didn't make the borderlines perfectly straight and smooth because I planned on using Burgundy Trim Tape as the final borderline trim finish.

395.JPG

396.JPG

397.JPG

The original gelcoat was sanded with 100 grit sandpaper and cleaned with acetone. 6 coats of dark blue gelcoat were sprayed. On the first 4 coats you could still see the white gelcoat behind the dark blue coats, the fifth coat made everything even, and we did a 6th as a finishing coat.

398.JPG

399.JPG

I have mentioned in previous updates that I use PVA, Partall # 10, to create a film on top of the gelcoat so that the gel will cure. Well I wanted to try the other method, the surfacing agent mixed in with the gelcoat. I did that using 7% surfacing agent.

Here I'm removing the tape before the gelcoat cures as I've mentioned before.

400.JPG

401.JPG

Here is how it looked with the trim tape.

402.JPG

403.JPG

404.JPG

In this last picture you can see the outriggers again now with both antennas installed (8900 series).

405.JPG

Well I discovered that my experiment with the surfacing agent didn't work, by this time I know when the gelcoat cures as it should and when it doesn't. The gelcoat was not fully cured, it was maybe 95% cured but I didn't like it. I went back to my supplier and told Dave what had happened and he offered to replace the materials at no cost. I didn't need all the materials I used for this so I took his word for one gallon of dark blue gelcoat and a pail of PVA. I decided to return to PVA because it has not failed me instead of trying to figure out how to make the surfacing agent work. I tried the surfacing agent in two different applications and got the same results both times, wont be doing that again.

So with the boat on the trailer I had to cover everything up to spray some more gelcoat. I removed the wax that the surfacing agent leaves on the surface with acetone and then sanded the blue area with 120 grit sandpaper. Cleaned again with acetone and started to spray the gelcoat.

406.JPG

407.JPG

Three coats of gelcoat and finished with two coats of PVA.

408.JPG

I normally hose down the PVA and you would see bubbles coming off the area, like if it had soap on it. This time I got to remove the PVA the fun way...

409.JPG

You can see here the film the PVA forms which helps the gel cure. I had no issues getting the gelcoat to cure this time, PVA rocks.

I don't have a full-boat picture with the latest gelcoat, my camera died, I'm waiting for the new one to arrive. I'll post more pics in the following days.

In the meantime I'll do another update on the scuppers, cleats & 27 gal. fuel tank installation.

Josh out...

Harold Ray

Oct 11, 2008
Waco, Texas, U.S.A.
Name
Ray
Boat
Kayaks
Someone posted a link to this thread on TexasKayakFisherman.com (see link), REDIRECT, and I decided to see what was happening. There was a rave review of this project. Once I got into the thread, I can see why.

You have really done an amazing job here. I made it through page 6 and finally decided I had to jump to 18 to see the final product. What a lot of tedious but rewarding work, and what a great result. You researched and planned well, and you and your men did very impressive work.

I want pictures of the boat in the water as soon as you get to that point!!

Congratulations!!!

Ray

kimorb

Sep 10, 2005
Golden Hill
Name
Richard Baldwin
Boat
I wish
I am just thinking of embarking on a much smaller scale boat project with a mate. This is inspirational stuff. If we can get ot done a third as well we'll be pretty happy with the result.

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Thanks guys...

I'm surprised only two people have seen the update.... I'll give it a couple more days...

Az.monkey

Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
Thanks guys...

I'm surprised only two people have seen the update.... I'll give it a couple more days...

Hang in there Josh, we're still reading and following the work. You've inspired a bunch of folks to make the jump and they're busy trying to make thier dreams a reality. Keep posting brother

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
How many times can you say......Awesome job?....

Mark66

Jul 22, 2004
NCSD
Name
Mark
Boat
27' Cat
Fantastic post Josh, I'm sure you have inspired countless projects and measurably stimulated the boating economy..how many people can say that? :D

Really well thought out design, process and photo work, great job. Your project could be a book, and it would sell.

Nice Loreto voyage too, love that place.

All that said, more wife pics please.