Battle Skiff

Sep 2, 2017
Riverside
Name
Brandon
Boat
21 gregor & shamrock 200
Dam it that was my question!
You have put in a ton of work on that rig.
Its looking good but you have giving up storage and rod storage. Your house only fits one person. By now you may have learned that you can't see through that front window when it snotty out there. You need a wiper.

Oh Karl, see normally I would just brush off any such negativity that’s brought my way but, I apologize in advance for this response.
1- I design this for my needs not Karl’s
2- it’s easy to find flaws in anyone’s work even major Boat manufacturers
3- I said it is almost wrapped up aka it’s not finished
You also forgot to mention that it is not an aerodynamic design....but here we go.

As for the storage comments I added a fishhold and storage in the deck for my tools and what not as well as little pockets in the half cab, that means there’s more storage then there was initially
Rod storage- the 9 rod holder that are currently available I agree are not enough and when I finish the roof supports more will be added, I have no need to physically store any rods if that’s what you were referring to.
The cab- it is not intended to actually fit anyone, more to keep out of foul weather it is 31” wide I’m not sure about you but I am not 31”s wide.
The wiper- I went with a window that slides down half way for airflow, and I really don’t Intend using this rig in any such snotty weather but thank you for the bashing of my build I appreciate it
I just hope you and others like you (negative people) don’t get in the way or make people think twice about building or posting there builds because nobody is as perfect as Karl..
as far as the aerodynamics of the cab I wanted it to look a certain way and it’s a cruiser not an offshore race Boat.

Reactions: stella marina

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
I'm not tring to be negative and I'm sorry if it comes off that way. I have been riding around in Mikes Parker (with the house on it) When the wind is up the visibility sucks due the spay in the window. All it take is the typical cross wind that we get in the channel. It not much you can do about aerodynmics on small boats, with a CC we typically have 1/2 dozen 8ft rods and and an antenna up top as well.
I don't have your storage options, and it's always a major concern in a small skiff.
So what did happen to the Tee top?

willyok

Apr 10, 2012
San diego, CA
Name
Will
Boat
Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
Ive always been way happier with a few coats of Rain X, water/spray runs right off. I have wipers on my 33' and dont use them as it actually wears off the Rain X.

Reactions: Battle Skiff

flytie

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Right on, I appreciate the insight. Honestly I’ll probably got down to the 75hp e-tec but I’m going to get some quotes and see if the savings is worth it. I don’t plan on running far offshore as I have a larger boat for that stuff. I want to do this a a quick little day boat for me and a buddy or two. And for Baja trips. In all likely good it won’t be done for over a year from now so it will allow me to stock pile parts and supplies.

Will
There is no substitute for HP. I stuck a 150HP E-tec on my 17' (now technically 19' with enclosed transom and bracket) Invader and I couldn't be happier. I get great MPG because the motor isn't working that hard to push the boat around. Top speed is scary fast, but great when you need to get out of a pinch, and lately I've been out in slop conditions a ton where it has been used. Cruise is about 1700 RPM... good stuff. Weigh the options of weight and cost, but if you can push it a little more... go bigger.

20170706_135923.jpg

flytie

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
I built a pilothouse for my 17ft invader and love the thing. I used 1/2 inch marine grade plywood and 2 layers of 10oz cloth. Took me a good bit of time but I am very glad i did it. Pm me if you have any questions I would be glad to give you some input.View attachment 891934
Cody, could you back channel a couple of shots of your Invader, please?

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
Waverunner FX cruiser, hobie kayak
Honestly I built/ design the whole boat layout basically around the bait tank lean post, it really makes a difference and helps save a little room, at the time Weldworld inc was running a promo on free shipping if you ordered product that was over a certain dollar amount, but if you don’t want to spend the money you can alway mount a regular lean post over an actual bait tank as well. I’m not recommending buisness to them because they just weren’t pleasent to deal with and put me a month behind in the build, but they are one of few that make these style bait tank lean post. There is options out there.
The 60hp is great for two people... 28knots top speed. we cruised 16 knots to the island with total of 4 people, full bait tank and gas tank. The 90hp I would say would be more ideal just because it wouldn’t have to work as hard especially with 4 people.
I sold the T-top awhile back...

View attachment 964969

Great attitude with the haters. Boat looks bitchin. Nothing like hand crafting something you want, and not just grabbing something off the shelf.

flytie

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Great attitude with the haters. Boat looks bitchin. Nothing like hand crafting something you want, and not just grabbing something off the shelf.
Screw
Don't listen to the haters, they've most likely not built one themselves.

I had a few on my build raising issues of this and that and I held the course. I built my boat for me and my uses. Now I get people asking me about the boat at the docks all of the time. It does what I need and more. The best part is I'm still cheaper than buying new but have a better boat and I know every part of the boat if there is an issue. Build on, brother!I

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
Nice boat! I had a 22 Bayrunner! $50.00 in gas and I owned the ocean! Now! It’s a chore just getting the boat ready to go!