PENN

jarracuda

Jan 10, 2007
Oceanside
Name
Jared
Boat
19.6 Key West Bay Reef
We went out yesterday thinking we'd hit the 209 and maybe 277. Spent a long time looking for paddies or birds but didn't see either of much interest for a couple hours. After stopping at a small paddy, I saw the fins of what looked like a Marlin but it was pretty far away. We slowly cruised over to it, threw some sardines just thinking it would be cool to see it turn toward our bait or even better, get him to strike and likely loose it. My friend casted first and it appeared that Marlin spooked and sank under but 5 seconds later I'm hooked up. I was fishing 20lb with three different layers of mono from hook to arbor which doesn't really matter when you are catching 10-15 lb anything but it makes it nerve racking when you have your chance at landing a So Cal Marlin. On top of that, I had no leader so I hopped to get a few jumps from him before he broke me off but an hour later we had him at the boat about a dozen times. It helped that I was fishing a small bay boat as we could keep up with his fast turns. My kid (7) and my friends (5) were on board as well and had their chance to pull. It was pretty rad. We got it to the boat all those times and could see his big eyes and bright blue pectoral fins --really amazing in person. We wanted to bill him (no gloves ) but the fact that the 20lb was getting really abraded we couldn't leader him and he was always about 3-4' away. We popped him off and called it a day.
Well not really a day. We eventually got 6 good YFT and a Yellowtail as well. There's some really cool sealife out there right now and it's worth just a few trips to see all the warm water creatures....saw a hammerhead on the way in.

marlin%2Bfor%2Binsta.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2008
Carlsbad
Name
Matt Gilbert
Boat
Dads 29' shamrock
this picture has to be fake...I mean come on any camera in the last decade or even 2 decades takes better photos not to mention the attire the guy has on....i call BS post a more realistic photo and I will believe you haha

Reactions: REELCLOSE
Upvote 0

jarracuda

Jan 10, 2007
Oceanside
Name
Jared
Boat
19.6 Key West Bay Reef
this picture has to be fake...I mean come on any camera in the last decade or even 2 decades takes better photos not to mention the attire the guy has on....i call BS post a more realistic photo and I will believe you haha
Ha, yeah my wife would agree on the shitty attire. Next time I'll make sure to wear something way hipper.

Flyliner, it was caught on a cheap Diawa 30h.

Regarding the bad photo. Well, it's not a photo. It's a screen grab taken from an iphone video but not only that, the iphone was shot vertically so when it's cropped or turned horizontally the resolution is even lower. Here's a non 80's ish although equally shitty screen grab.
Screen%2BShot%2B2014-09-07%2Bat%2B7.51.20%2BPM.png

Upvote 0

Mick

fishdivesurf
Jul 2, 2004
San Diego
Name
Kingfisher
Boat
21 Cuddy, No Ka Oi
Ha, yeah my wife would agree on the shitty attire. Next time I'll make sure to wear something way hipper.

Great post, so funny

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
There is the freighter in the backround, good enough for me. Great job. Getting that fish to the boat is as good as putting it on the boat. I let those guys go. I have been seeing jumpers but only thought they were Marlinous...Yup, great days of fishing in So Cal for sure....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
We went out yesterday thinking we'd hit the 209 and maybe 277. Spent a long time looking for paddies or birds but didn't see either of much interest for a couple hours. After stopping at a small paddy, I saw the fins of what looked like a Marlin but it was pretty far away. We slowly cruised over to it, threw some sardines just thinking it would be cool to see it turn toward our bait or even better, get him to strike and likely loose it. My friend casted first and it appeared that Marlin spooked and sank under but 5 seconds later I'm hooked up. I was fishing 20lb with three different layers of mono from hook to arbor which doesn't really matter when you are catching 10-15 lb anything but it makes it nerve racking when you have your chance at landing a So Cal Marlin. On top of that, I had no leader so I hopped to get a few jumps from him before he broke me off but an hour later we had him at the boat about a dozen times. It helped that I was fishing a small bay boat as we could keep up with his fast turns. My kid (7) and my friends (5) were on board as well and had their chance to pull. It was pretty rad. We got it to the boat all those times and could see his big eyes and bright blue pectoral fins --really amazing in person. We wanted to bill him (no gloves ) but the fact that the 20lb was getting really abraded we couldn't leader him and he was always about 3-4' away. We popped him off and called it a day.
Well not really a day. We eventually got 6 good YFT and a Yellowtail as well. There's some really cool sealife out there right now and it's worth just a few trips to see all the warm water creatures....saw a hammerhead on the way in.

marlin%2Bfor%2Binsta.jpg
great fun

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
good lord the whole site is full of nit pickers fashion spelling pictures holly crap ! nice going it is great fun congrats on the other fish too!

Upvote 0