209 and Catalina - 9/26

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Shewillbemine, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Console
    Howdy Folks,

Buddy and I launched out of Dana Point around 6am. Full scoop of bait contained LOTS of macks and very large sardines. For some reason, most of the sardines were dead by the time we got anywhere. The last several trips I've had and the bait maintained; not sure why they mostly died this time. Perhaps the macks were bullying them.

Plan was to head to the 209 searching for paddies and DIRTY WATER. The reports showed the dirty water was slightly north and west of the 209. On the way, we kept our eyes peeled for kelp and saw nothing.

The 209 was empty but we decided to troll anyway. Drop a cedar plug and Halco back about 100 yards each. Buddy reaches for Pringles and I happen to look back at the rods.

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzeeeee!"

Halco rig goes off, a Seeker trolling rod paired with an Avet HX. I grab the rod and there's definitely a fish. I yell "I hope it's a Dorado!" but it didn't jump. Bummer. We get a decent size Bonito to the boat and it's got a shiny bluish purple color to it. I know these aren't necessarily great for consumption but man was that color pretty (not Dorado pretty).

We release it.

Nothing else happens so we go north to backside Catalina. It is my first time there as a boater and a fisherman (except for a Catalina Express trip back in 2001).

We meter and mark some fish by Church Rock and I throw the Warbaits and bud throws a Colt Sniper. Couple bites with bass and barracuda.

I'm having fun so I decide to mess around with the surface iron; I've never caught a thing on it but I haven't used it that much.

After one cast, the iron feels sluggish and I yell "I'm bit". But the action feels strange. I keep reeling in and see that my Tady C has hooked a fishing line that's NOT one of ours.

I tell my partner "That was weird. I thought it felt mushy, like a bat ray or something". He suggests I pull up the line since there may be a reel/rod attached to it.

I pull on my end. What do you know? It was a BAT RAY. We pull the other end but no reel/rod. Best guess is that it got stuck on rocks and the other fisherman had to cut the line. I unhooked the poor bugger and he took off.

We also got a few bites on live mackerel but couldn't get it to hook up. Not sure what they might have been.

Not wide open but 6 fish and 4 different species plus knowing my boat is capable of backside Catalina = good times.

THE WATER:
    68 - 71 degrees, mostly blue

THE TECHNIQUE:
    Trolling Halco for Bonito, Warbaits/Colt Sniper for Calicos, Colt Sniper for Barracuda, Dumb Luck for Bat Ray

IMAG1162.jpg

IMAG1165.jpg

IMAG1168.jpg

2. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Thats a Skipjack, not a Bonito

LEC, namotuman, mhanson59hb and 6 others like this.
  3. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Here's a tip for finding yellows at the island. Slow troll a dine or mackerel. Also, you're wasting time trolling the banks when you should be looking for paddies. You need to cover as much water as possible and trolling only slows the search. Best of luck on your next trip!!!

4. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Console
    Thank you! I just went off what my bud said it was. Skipjack it is!

5. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Console
    Thanks! Would you believe there were almost zero paddies out there? We trolled for about 30 minutes and spent the rest of the time paddy hunting on the way to Catalina. The combination of the wind and lack of kelp inshore might be factors.

We DID find paddies very close to Catalina but they were not holding. The Dorado said bye bye due to the cold water methinks.

We'll definitely slow troll next time. We were up against the wind and time so we wanted faster fishing methods.

6. GarytheCPA

GarytheCPA Member

Name:
    Gary Craig
    Boat:
    36 BHM
    We found similar water conditions in the same area the day before.

I'd add though, that there was a pile of birds, off the east end, about 4 miles, near a set of 4 red buoys. The current from the front and back side of the island was converging here. In this area was the best bait signs we saw, and there were presumably large tuna surrounding this bait. Big classic meter marks, at 40'. On the slack, the birds started working, the bait was moving up, we got ready for the show, and then....nothing. So frustrating.

But they are there, and there were no fish under paddies.

Shewillbemine likes this.
  7. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Thanks for reporting back from the future, Wednesday September 26th. I may have to go and try some different areas that day.

Shewillbemine and trophytrac like this.
  8. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Beautiful skipjack. I love those things. They taste pretty good if you bleed them and ice them right away.

Shewillbemine and dannykl1957 like this.
  9. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Console
    HAHAHAHA! Sorry, it won't let me edit the thread title any more.