hiram-d

Jun 26, 2021
Oahu
Name
Hiram
Boat
27’ Hoku
Aloha all,
Originally posted a day ago but had to make a new account since I lost my other one somehow. Anyways hope you all got the monkey off your back! If not, your time

Haleiwa 06/08/21- On board the all white “Dana” (30’ knife) Captained by Uncle Brendt Chang! Was lucky and privileged enough to be allowed to work the deck for him and learn. It was my first time on his boat so I was a little nervous haha. First Ahi trip of the 2021 season, loaded ice around 7:30-8 am and headed west bound with no plan. Uncle asked us “where you guys like fish, Haleiwa in the rough water or Waianae where its flat” I quickly responded Haleiwa knowing Waianae is always hit or miss. Got to the harbor around 9:30 and was in the water by 10. Shot out straight towards J buoy and soon enough we see birds all over and the Ahi’s exploding, it was only a matter of time. 30 minutes later working the pile, left rigger slams and we’re on! Screams the reel but comes off. Set back up, birds are running off towards Kaneohe way so we decide not to chase and work the area where the fish initially were. Soon enough the lines start peeling again. Got the monkey off my back and welcomed the fish aboard G&G and set back up. Not even 30 seconds later while putting out the lines the short corner slams and we’re on again! 15 minutes later, welcomed another aboard. Took 5 strikes that day and headed home by noon! It was one of those lucky and blessed days.
889CB858-A6EA-49E5-A695-31DAEF6528EB.jpeg

6E5BB54D-05DF-4EA8-BF23-1ED1495FFA54.jpeg

Haleiwa 06/12/21 - Forgot to include this trip in last post. Joined my close friend from school Ryan Nishi on his small 16’ single motor striper in hopes to get him his first ever Ahi. Shot out towards J hoping the fish were still lingering around but it was dead; looked like the fish have moved on from J buoy area. So we slide the 1,000 down towards Ka’ena way to hunt. I noticed birds shooting in between CO and II so I followed along that way and little do you know there’s a huge floating fad floating. We were about 32 miles from the harbor and could clearly see the island of Kaua’i. Heard some guys found the same rubbish a couple days before at the point and had fish so we had high hopes. Plenty marks and mahis jumping all over, to bad the mahis never like bite and I forgot the bait aiyahhh! After a couple of passes with the big lures, we downsized and loaded the boat with some nice size big eyes, onos, and akus. After working the rubbish for a couple more hours and the winds slightly picking up we decide to call it a day. Decided to run the 500 back home to the harbor. While Ryan was sleeping and I was dozing off into the distance on the wheel we unexpectedly took a screamer on our smallest reel and lure… the black 9/0. Had to quickly slow the boat down because of limited line and told Ryan to start clearing lines. Grease was spewing out the drag and the reel was smoking it was game on! Too bad we got spooled 5 minutes later. Next time Ryan, next time. Time to invest into some bigger reels.

Took screenshots from videos I took that day so that’s why it’s a little blurry
BDB5F82F-1E05-4D9D-906B-49B4E92B0EB8.jpeg

6590EAE2-668D-44BF-9908-22C10859AE88.jpeg

06/14/21 Kaneohe- My dad and I joined my Uncle “OP” who has a 25’ Parker named the Kehaulani. He called the day before wanting to go Waianae but news got out that the fish were biting like crazy kaneohe so I convinced him to make the drive down from the west side. Harbor was packed to the max by 4. Launched before sunbreak, put lines out on the 500 and passed U area then worked up towards the 1,000 and under MM. Trolled the area all morning and it was dead, no boats stopped at all. We decided to go to LL and catch some dinner and pay off fuel since it was dead. Took a blind strike on the center a mile before LL on the 1100 but came off. Got to LL downsized and loaded 20+ akus and shibis, finally got fish in the boat. Captain wanted to nap so I decided it was enough with the rats and went back over to the area everyone was working. It wasn’t looking good as 3/4 of the boats out already called it quits. I zig zagged around between the 1000 and 1300 enough times to make a fully black rectangle with all my tracers on the gps. 2-3 hours has already passed and nothing. Capt woke up and said that it’s time to go in, told him let me make one more pass on the inside. Got the blank stare but did it anyway. Shot straight down to the 800 right above U then turned up seas in between the swells. Right when we passed the 900 boom center rigger goes again and the line starts screaming. Fish decided to bite the black reel instead of the 4 brand new 130 shimanos so took a little more effort then usual. Mercy bite saves the day! Got uncle “op” and the rest of the crew including my dad their first ahi of the 2021 season.
8FC0408B-300E-45C5-B6CC-68E44D49138F.jpeg

B855D8F2-264D-4D58-A70D-6EF6EDCD1274.jpeg

06/19/21 Fathers Day Waianae- Joined my Uncle Eric and dad on Father’s Day in hopes to find the big guy. Fish have been lingering around in front Ko’olina for a couple days now so we launched from the Ko’olina hotel harbor. Picked up a Ono along the way to the 1,000 then worked towards Ko’olina pinnacle. Boats were stopped so we knew the fish were still around. No bites on the pinnacle so we expand our area that we are working and come back down a couple degrees on to the 1,000. Rigger slams down and we’re on! It was a great Father’s Day as both dads on board were happy. Its been 10+ years since uncle Eric caught an Ahi since he’s been so busy making lures and it’s also the first Ahi on his new boat. Glad we could help get the monkey off his back!
F3726D02-2E6C-40C4-9D33-7ECAA3708E80.jpeg

AC627C6C-5E19-4576-BB0A-1469626007DC.jpeg

06/21/21 Waianae - Another close friend of mine from high school who’s name is also Eric called the night before asking me to help him catch his first Ahi. My flight off to college was later that evening so I said why not get the fishing in while I can. Left Waianae Harbor around 5:30 am and I let the lines out on the 500 with plans to hit the 1000 and work down towards Ko’olina. Luckily we didn’t have to drive that far! Because on the 900 in front the harbor I made a pass through a small bird pile and boom we’re on! Eric and my friend Kahi instantly woke up to a screaming ratchet and I tell them start clearing lines. Told them I’ll drive so they can fight the fish and then I can coach them up. Once I saw color I put the boat in neutral, lift the leg, and hand lined until the swivel got to the tip of the pole. They never gaffed a fish before but we all gotta learn some day! I grabbed the leader and took my wraps. It took them a couple of tries to get it but we got it in the boat! Luckily the trailer hook got stuck. Never laughed so hard after seeing the gaff job but they got it done. Have you guys ever seen an Ahi gaffed with the blunt side through the spine? classic! was in the harbor before 10 and off to the mainland by 8 that evening.
C2C0F072-486A-4DC5-8555-334D2F217793.jpeg

101FCA92-5775-4938-8CA1-0B0D1AAF7A5E.jpeg

Hoping my dad can keep the streak alive for me! Will be on the mainland until December for school. Wish you all plenty ahis this season. Go get um!

Last edited:

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Aloha all,
    Originally posted a day ago but had to make a new account since I lost my other one somehow. Anyways hope you all got the monkey off your back! If not, your time will come sooner or later.

Haleiwa 06/08/21- On board the all white “Dana” (30’ knife) Captained by Uncle Brendt Chang! Was lucky and privileged enough to be allowed to work the deck for him and learn. It was my first time on his boat so I was a little nervous haha. First Ahi trip of the 2021 season, loaded ice around 7:30-8 am and headed west bound with no plan. Uncle asked us “where you guys like fish, Haleiwa in the rough water or Waianae where its flat” I quickly responded Haleiwa knowing Waianae is always hit or miss. Got to the harbor around 9:30 and was in the water by 10. Shot out straight towards J buoy and soon enough we see birds all over and the Ahi’s exploding, it was only a matter of time. 30 minutes later working the pile, left rigger slams and we’re on! Screams the reel but comes off. Set back up, birds are running off towards Kaneohe way so we decide not to chase and work the area where the fish initially were. Soon enough the lines start peeling again. Got the monkey off my back and welcomed the fish aboard G&G and set back up. Not even 30 seconds later while putting out the lines the short corner slams and we’re on again! 15 minutes later, welcomed another aboard. Took 5 strikes that day and headed home by noon! It was one of those lucky and blessed days.
    View attachment 1293327
    View attachment 1293328

Haleiwa 06/12/21 - Forgot to include this trip in last post. Joined my close friend from school Ryan Nishi on his small 16’ single motor striper in hopes to get him his first ever Ahi. Shot out towards J hoping the fish were still lingering around but it was dead; looked like the fish have moved on from J buoy area. So we slide the 1,000 down towards Ka’ena way to hunt. I noticed birds shooting in between CO and II so I followed along that way and little do you know there’s a huge floating fad floating. We were about 32 miles from the harbor and could clearly see the island of Kaua’i. Heard some guys found the same rubbish a couple days before at the point and had fish so we had high hopes. Plenty marks and mahis jumping all over, to bad the mahis never like bite and I forgot the bait aiyahhh! After a couple of passes with the big lures, we downsized and loaded the boat with some nice size big eyes, onos, and akus. After working the rubbish for a couple more hours and the winds slightly picking up we decide to call it a day. Decided to run the 500 back home to the harbor. While Ryan was sleeping and I was dozing off into the distance on the wheel we unexpectedly took a screamer on our smallest reel and lure… the black 9/0. Had to quickly slow the boat down because of limited line and told Ryan to start clearing lines. Grease was spewing out the drag and the reel was smoking it was game on! Too bad we got spooled 5 minutes later. Next time Ryan, next time. Time to invest into some bigger reels.

Took screenshots from videos I took that day so that’s why it’s a little blurry
    View attachment 1293325
    View attachment 1293326

06/14/21 Kaneohe- My dad and I joined my Uncle “OP” who has a 25’ Parker named the Kehaulani. He called the day before wanting to go Waianae but news got out that the fish were biting like crazy kaneohe so I convinced him to make the drive down from the west side. Harbor was packed to the max by 4. Launched before sunbreak, put lines out on the 500 and passed U area then worked up towards the 1,000 and under MM. Trolled the area all morning and it was dead, no boats stopped at all. We decided to go to LL and catch some dinner and pay off fuel since it was dead. Took a blind strike on the center a mile before LL on the 1100 but came off. Got to LL downsized and loaded 20+ akus and shibis, finally got fish in the boat. Captain wanted to nap so I decided it was enough with the rats and went back over to the area everyone was working. It wasn’t looking good as 3/4 of the boats out already called it quits. I zig zagged around between the 1000 and 1300 enough times to make a fully black rectangle with all my tracers on the gps. 2-3 hours has already passed and nothing. Capt woke up and said that it’s time to go in, told him let me make one more pass on the inside. Got the blank stare but did it anyway. Shot straight down to the 800 right above U then turned up seas in between the swells. Right when we passed the 900 boom center rigger goes again and the line starts screaming. Fish decided to bite the black reel instead of the 4 brand new 130 shimanos so took a little more effort then usual. Mercy bite saves the day! Got uncle “op” and the rest of the crew including my dad their first ahi of the 2021 season.
    View attachment 1293323
    View attachment 1293324

06/19/21 Fathers Day Waianae- Joined my Uncle Eric and dad on Father’s Day in hopes to find the big guy. Fish have been lingering around in front Ko’olina for a couple days now so we launched from the Ko’olina hotel harbor. Picked up a Ono along the way to the 1,000 then worked towards Ko’olina pinnacle. Boats were stopped so we knew the fish were still around. No bites on the pinnacle so we expand our area that we are working and come back down a couple degrees on to the 1,000. Rigger slams down and we’re on! It was a great Father’s Day as both dads on board were happy. Its been 10+ years since uncle Eric caught an Ahi since he’s been so busy making lures and it’s also the first Ahi on his new boat. Glad we could help get the monkey off his back!
    View attachment 1293322
    View attachment 1293321

06/21/21 Waianae - Another close friend of mine from high school who’s name is also Eric called the night before asking me to help him catch his first Ahi. My flight off to college was later that evening so I said why not get the fishing in while I can. Left Waianae Harbor around 5:30 am and I let the lines out on the 500 with plans to hit the 1000 and work down towards Ko’olina. Luckily we didn’t have to drive that far! Because on the 900 in front the harbor I made a pass through a small bird pile and boom we’re on! Eric and my friend Kahi instantly woke up to a screaming ratchet and I tell them start clearing lines. Told them I’ll drive so they can fight the fish and then I can coach them up. Once I saw color I put the boat in neutral, lift the leg, and hand lined until the swivel got to the tip of the pole. They never gaffed a fish before but we all gotta learn some day! I grabbed the leader and took my wraps. It took them a couple of tries to get it but we got it in the boat! Luckily the trailer hook got stuck. Never laughed so hard after seeing the gaff job but they got it done. Have you guys ever seen an Ahi gaffed with the blunt side through the spine? classic! was in the harbor before 10 and off to the mainland by 8 that evening.
    View attachment 1293319
    View attachment 1293320

Hoping my dad can keep the streak alive for me! Will be on the mainland until December for school. Wish you all plenty ahis this season. Go get um!
    Great pic's, thank's for sharing!

"My flight off to college was later that evening so I said why not get the fishing in while I can. "

Good luck with you education! Good choice on fishing befor your flight! 👍

Last edited:
    Upvote 0