2020 Ocean Salmon Season

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
Thanks Dave.

No coho for this mofo!

Reactions: Happy Daze

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Thanks for sharing. The Westport charters will eat up the coho quota fairly quickly. Will salmon get shutdown once the coho quota is gone?

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
Apr 27, 2013
Port Orchard
Name
Jeff
Boat
24’ Hewes Alaskan
Thanks for everything Dave!!! I don’t have the patience to do what you do for all of us. Your work is much appreciated!!!

Reactions: liltrouble

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
Thanks for all the hard work at NOF Dave!

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
Dave appreciate your involvement. I have a question as I see salmon opens June 20th with no Coho retention till the 29th. With only 10K Coho quota in Westport and 12K Chinook why wasn't the coho exclusion extended till the middle to end of July to hopefully keep the season open into August. Seems like a longer season would be in everyone's best interest. Was it the charters pushing for earlier access or was it the managers wanting the season to get closed down. I agree with your voluntary no coho retention but know the quota is gonna disappear about as fast as a pack of toilet paper at Costco.

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
Won’t open for me, but I get the gist. Seasons are fucked and Some assholes will burn the coho quota up early when they weigh 3 lbs. I’ll do my part and wait till august to murder coho after they’re fat and in the straits. Maybe Later if any rivers are open this year.

Reactions: Cwillis

Rellis

Boss
Jul 3, 2011
Ellensburg/WA/USA
Name
Ray Ellis
Boat
21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
Thanks Dave for all your hard work. I see all the quotas getting blown through rather quickly. Good luck folks.

Catchn Ry

Jan 19, 2011
Stanwood WA Snohomish
Name
Rydel aka "Knuckle Buster"
Boat
21' Olympic AIDEN DAWN RDC
Quick question. Why is it if the coho quota gets caught they shut the whole fishery down but if the chinook quota gets caught it still stays open for coho? That happened last year in area 4. The chinook quota was met on July 14th or so but coho remained open.

Cwillis

Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
Quick question. Why is it if the coho quota gets caught they shut the whole fishery down but if the chinook quota gets caught it still stays open for coho? That happened last year in area 4. The chinook quota was met on July 14th or so but coho remained open.
They shut down chinook with enough encounters left I believe.

I wish we could self regulate this thing. Everybody agree to fish all of july with a 28" minimum size for chinook. Keep zero coho and perhaps even all fish 6 inch plugs minimum size until August 15th. Then start coho fishing when the fish are 8 and 9 lbs not 3 and 4 lbs. On swiftsure bank this should me mandatory!

Reactions: Catchn Ry

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth

I wish we could self regulate this thing. Everybody agree to fish all of july with a 28" minimum size for chinook. Keep zero coho and perhaps even all fish 6 inch plugs minimum size until August 15th. Then start coho fishing when the fish are 8 and 9 lbs not 3 and 4 lbs. On swiftsure bank this should me mandatory!
And how will not keeping silvers or smaller kings work out on charters? Do you think that someone who pays for a charter trip is going to throw back anything legal? The captains are certainly not going to enforce throwing anything back that's a coho or small king. And that's a lot of fish to count against the quota as I'm sure the fish checkers are counting their fish.

Cwillis

Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
And how will not keeping silvers or smaller kings work out on charters? Do you think that someone who pays for a charter trip is going to throw back anything legal? The captains are certainly not going to enforce throwing anything back that's a coho or small king. And that's a lot of fish to count against the quota as I'm sure the fish checkers are counting their fish.
Yes, that is tough for area 2. 3 and 4 don't have many charters chewing up quota so the recs could work together to optimize the season. Just like mass communication with rockfish decenders is helping us get more deepwater opportunity we could in theory maximize our ocean season.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
Yes, that is tough for area 2. 3 and 4 don't have many charters chewing up quota so the recs could work together to optimize the season. Just like mass communication with rockfish decenders is helping us get more deepwater opportunity we could in theory maximize our ocean season.
Not everyone has fishing for big fish dialed in like you do Casey.
But I will agree with you. Nothing under 28” and no coho on my punchcard this year.

Cwillis

Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
Not everyone has fishing for big fish dialed in like you do Casey.
But I will agree with you. Nothing under 28” and no coho on my punchcard this year.
Well if they could only fish 6 inch plugs on the bank I promise you they would have more chances at hooking big fish. (which is all i do is hook them). I haven't figured out the landing them part yet.

Emzbuddy

I miss sports
Mar 13, 2008
Bothell, WA
Name
Doug
Boat
Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out, Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
Keep up the Good Fight Happy Daze. It is much appreciated!
All things come around.

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
Well if they could only fish 6 inch plugs on the bank I promise you they would have more chances at hooking big fish. (which is all i do is hook them). I haven't figured out the landing them part yet.
Encounters are the problem. I agree mandating the use of 6" plugs would be the solution. WDFW does not care how many encounters we report, they come up with their own number and apply it to every fisher based on their test fishers. There is no way big charters would be on board and I understand why. Are there no big charters in A4?

Reactions: Rellis

Cwillis

Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
Encounters are the problem. I agree mandating the use of 6" plugs would be the solution. WDFW does not care how many encounters we report, they come up with their own number and apply it to every fisher based on their test fishers. There is no way big charters would be on board and I understand why. Are there no big charters in A4?
Windsong is the largest. The rest are at max 6 packs.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
6inch plugs? We don’t usually fish any that small out there..

Cwillis

Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
Reactions: Catchn Ry

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
We generally fish in area two so we are totally on board with not keeping of silvers 'till August, they really put on weight by the time they hit the Chehalis in Sept. Here's to a good king season!

Catchn Ry

Jan 19, 2011
Stanwood WA Snohomish
Name
Rydel aka "Knuckle Buster"
Boat
21' Olympic AIDEN DAWN RDC

A couple years

Ok. I guess the same consideration doesn’t apply for shutting the coho season short of the quota so kings can remain open? A couple years ago at Neah in July the weather was shit in the ocean and there was a school of 3-5lb silvers hanging out off 3rd beach and guys were hauling in limits of these small silvers and it almost shut down early except the trollers gave up 1,000 fish of their quota to keep it open. I was begging guys on the dock to release those silvers. I will only keep a silver this year if it’s a teen or bigger. So basically I won’t keep any silvers. 😂