URN

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Now that's hardcore fishing with a kiddo strapped to you!!

How do you like the square shrimp pots vs the round ones? I'm not setup to shrimp yet since engines are going on my boat in a week but sometime soon I'll be setup to go shrimping.
Have you done the tanner crab out of Homer? That would be something to target on my list too.

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Now that's hardcore fishing with a kiddo strapped to you!!

How do you like the square shrimp pots vs the round ones? I'm not setup to shrimp yet since engines are going on my boat in a week but sometime soon I'll be setup to go shrimping.
Have you done the tanner crab out of Homer? That would be something to target on my list too.
Like to learn how to tanner crab out of Homer

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
I just started shrimping this year. Tried the round pots once and lost 2 of them on coral. There is a guy in palmer who makes the square ones and everyone seems to like them so I decided to give them a try and I really like them. I like the rigidness instead of the netting. Tried crabbing a couple times but never did great. We would have done good once but a octo got in our pot and rode all the way up. Crab parts floating all over inside the pot.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I just started shrimping this year. Tried the round pots once and lost 2 of them on coral. There is a guy in palmer who makes the square ones and everyone seems to like them so I decided to give them a try and I really like them. I like the rigidness instead of the netting. Tried crabbing a couple times but never did great. We would have done good once but a octo got in our pot and rode all the way up. Crab parts floating all over inside the pot.
Octopus is as good as shrimp or crab. Hope you ate it.

Last edited:

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Also touted by some commercial fishermen as the best halibut bait ever.
Yah, If I recall correctly the world record halibut was caught on octopus as bait....all by itself. So it obviously works!

I’ve used octopus for halibut bait fishing all throughout the Cook Inlet, but have never noticed that it was barn door crack/smack or anything on that level. Seems like they always preferred herring.
Since the octopus stays on the hook so tremendously we would add it to our hook with herring....but quickly noticed that the halibut would pick off the herring and leave the octopus. Go figure!?

From all that I have seen the very best bait for big halibut is a whole pink salmon. Knew a guy in Seldovia that slayed more slobs than you can even begin to imagine, using nothing but whole pinks for bait and never anchored - always drifting.

I’ll be heading up there to Ninilchik on Wednesday to swap out the powerhead on my boat motor.....maybe see you guys around Homer Harbor after I’m all done and need to give the new powerhead a test run. 🤙🏽