DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Our 2020 season totals were off 33% from the year before but our trip average was up a little bit probably because we took fewer trips at the end of the season because of the changing conditions. we caught 291 legals in 41 trips during the 2019 season for a 7.0 average and 187 during the 2020 season in 25 trips for a 7.5 average. We didn't do very well until January 2020 when we found a hot spot where double limits were common all the way to the March 2020 closure; this season started off hot for the first month and a half with a couple off double limits until January 2021 when we saw our last trip with double digits. This year we only hooped San Diego Bay after our first trip off Mission Beach ended up with one of the only 2 skunks we had. I have a theory to explain the decline in harvest from 2019 to 2020 and I hope the Big Bay can sustain this year's numbers next year and the 2019 were an abnormality. The Shelter Island Launch Ramp was closed for much of 2017 and 2018 which I believe kept most of the hooping fleet out of the bay letting the legal lobster numbers increase dramatically. Hooping really became popular in 2019 and increased numbers of anglers experiencing good catch rates only expanding the demand. The 2 sportboats that ran bug trips had great success catching 20-40 bugs a trip really made hooping popular. I think it finally caught up with us in 2020 but it was still a good year, you just had to work a little harder and keep track of the conditions during your good nights and your bad ones too and think a little more to develop patterns which can help you determine which nights to go and which are better to just stay home. And these patterns are only for the inland bays and have no effect in the open ocean. Those patterns might take another couple of years to figure out locally and that will have to wait until the Big Bay runs dry.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
we caught 291 legals in 41 trips during the 2019 season for a 7.0 average and 187 during the 2020 season in 25 trips for a 7.5 average
Damn, thats some time on the water good for you. You must really like lobster. Hows the cholesterol levels. :D 187...you murdered it. hahaha see what i did there.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption, per the DGA 2015-2020.

• Haha
Reactions: Blackfish

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Damn, thats some time on the water good for you. You must really like lobster. Hows the cholesterol levels. :D 187...you murdered it. hahaha see what i did there.
It's not me, its my wife she could eat lobster 2 times a week for sure; me maybe once every month or 2. But I have to tell you 2-4 bugs given to the right person has locked down more construction work than I can take on right now. Better than Charger Tickets

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
My lobster partner and Navigator is my 71 year old Brother who has been retired for some time and other than hitting the grocery store for food this is the only other thing he is able to get out of the house and enjoy; we always went at least once a week until we learned a strong tidal swing above 4.5 feet greatly reduces the lobster crawl to almost nothing until the slack and then its only for an hour or so then they hunker down again which doesn't make it worth the effort. When the tides were good we would hit it 2-3 nights a week but avoid the weekend Combat Hooping. It will be another dark summer for my brother until the next season opener October 2nd.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster 150'
Great report, great season! Interesting you found a new honey hole, I thought you had every one figured by now! If I may ask, did you find this by bottom finder, deduction, word of mouth, or just trying a new untested spot? (PM if you want!) You have a nose for the bugs! Funny, my wife does not really eat lobster! I give a bunch away, but generally it is unappreciated! Weekends are out of control, combat hooping! With my addition of a underwater camera, I would love to see what the bottom looks like at your HH! I looked at my favorite spot, and did not see structure, just sand! Maybe we can work a deal and you can borrow it and take clips of what it looks like in the down time. I did not go after Nov to Feb, due to many reasons. I mostly go solo. 2020 was a different year! Can't wait till next year!! Stay in touch Jeff!

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    I sucked this year but only hooped 1st half of year. Ended with around 150 .never hooped past 10pm though .

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    We would just try different spots along the channel on different nights; mark the spots where we caught bugs and then expanded our search with my Furuno around those areas to try to find out why they were consistently there and not somewhere else. Some spots had good structure within 75-100 feet and others were just plain sand. Sometimes the Channel Edge produced good while halfway between the channel and the shore didn't, but later in the season it was just the opposite. As the season progressed, especially since January we found that we usually caught shorts early with 1 or 2 legals per set and then after 9-10PM until Midnight the bigger bugs would crawl where we would get 2-6 legals per set. We never hooped past 12:30 and generally that last set would be a bust.

Joe - When the water warms up a little and the butts start biting maybe we can Buddy boat and I'll show you a couple of spots and you can tell us what it looks like with your camera.

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I sucked this year but only hooped 1st half of year. Ended with around 150 .never hooped past 10pm though .
    Its going to be interesting next year to see how your spot produces as it is one of the hardest hit spots in the Bay but you have your gear tuned to that spot which evidently makes all the difference in the world as you catch them early while the other suck it hard.

Reactions: madrugador

Latest posts