2018 Parker 1801 115hp or 150 hp

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by hookupfish, Oct 14, 2017.

1. hookupfish

hookupfish Newbie

Name:
    hook up
    Boat:
    none
    Hello everyone I am looking to purchase my first boat and I would like to start off with Parker 1801 CC to start building my experience.
    I came up with a question between Yamaha engine 115hp and 150 hp.
    I will be mainly be fishing near local Orange County and Long Beach area. If weather allows and wsb is running I will take it to catalina and back before lunch time knowing ruff weather condition coming back.
    Here is 2 questions I have for Parker boat owners.

1st question. It cost almost $5500 to upgrade to 150 hp + hydraulic steering vs 115 hp without the hydraulic I mainly gonna be fishing for bass and bottom fish near flats and horse shoe with 3 adults.
    Is the upgrade worth the money for 18 cc ?

2nd question. If I get the boat with 115hp is it worth the money to spend extra $1400 for hydraulic steering?

Any thoughts and advise from Parker boat owners will be appreciated.. thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. ratboy

ratboy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    katie sea
    If you have the extra 5500 budget yeah.....
    I have an 08 with a 115 and it tops out at about 30 knots, cruising 20-22knts and get 4.5-5mpg with 30 gal of fuel and two people. I think the 150 would fly and also get better fuel/speed numbers loaded.

simmo13 and hookupfish like this.
  3. PACIFICPUNISHER

PACIFICPUNISHER Biscuit Buster

Name:
    RIZZ
    Boat:
    PARKER 2320 "HOTLINE"
    IMHO I would get the f150 with the hydraulic steering. The f150 has a proven track record and your going to need the extra HP when you start to load the boat up with bait tank, gear ect. Good choice with the 1801 it's a well built tuff boat and should meet your expectations.

hookupfish likes this.
  4. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I had an 1801 for years. About 80% of the time, the 115 was more than enough without beating the crap out of you. But on those 20% days when it was flat, I often wished for more power, especially because I had a big bait tank. I'd also pull a skier or wake boarder occasionally and that extra power sure would have been nice for that. If you have the dough, go whole hog. If not, you'll still be fine for the majority of our conditions. If I were to go back to that skiff, 150 no doubt.

As for hydraulic steering, I never thought it necessary, as long as you have a no feedback set up. You might want it on the 150 though. Having autopilot might influence that decision too.

hookupfish likes this.
  5. PACIFICPUNISHER

PACIFICPUNISHER Biscuit Buster

Name:
    RIZZ
    Boat:
    PARKER 2320 "HOTLINE"
    The f150 has been known to run for thousands of marine hours with no issues. I've owned a couple of them and put 800 hrs in 3 year's with absolutely no issues. If you plan on adding a bait tank, tee top, coolers, tackle, rods, fuel, ice, 2 fishing buddies ect ect it all adds up not to mention the sea conditions and the weight of the fish you may catch. Also the f150 will give you better mpg in all sea conditions, faster getting up on plane, huge propeller selection and better resale in the future. You will never regret having the extra HP.

stella marina likes this.
  6. gearshifter

gearshifter Member

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    None
    I would go with the f150

7. Jaws

Jaws Newbie

Name:
    wade
    Boat:
    18 parker
    I had a 1801 with a115 no problems put over 2500 hours before I sold it.
    I had two props depending on the conditions speed was never a problem any more would beat the shit out of me averaged 5mpg. If it was rough or I had a bigger load I would switch to the smaller prop for getting out of the hole and dealing with bigger swell. Always fished two people though unless fishing inshore kelps. Would have liked to have tried trim tabs on that boat. I would get them for the heavier 150 if you are going for that upgrade for speed and gear you should be looking at the 2101 cc
    The 115 is perfect for that boat fishing inshore and offshore manual steering was was no problem worked fine for ten years.

8. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Whaler Guardian
    Motor only upgrade from 115hp to 150hp shouldn't be $5k extra. Sounds like that number includes more than motor upgrades, su h as hydraulic steering, trim tabs, etc....

9. hookupfish

hookupfish Newbie

Name:
    hook up
    Boat:
    none
    yeah , for extra $5500 it includes 150hp and hydraulic steering.
    80%of my the time i just be doing local bass fishing and occasionally WSB to the
    catalina island. might have to limit 2 if i am heading to island.

10. bendingmoments

bendingmoments Newbie

Name:
    E Alpha
    Boat:
    N/A
    What's the price range now for a 18 Parker?

11. hatt

hatt Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 1801
    Same reaction as everybody above. I have an 1801 with a 115hp and it gets the job done fine. However, when the boat is gassed, geared, and baited up, there are times where I wish I had a little more power running when the ocean is flat calm. If money is not a concern, go with the 150hp and you will be very happy with to have it. If you are trying to save a few grand or want to buy some killer electronics, the 115hp will work just fine for what you describe you want to do with the boat. Post pics when you pull the trigger and get it all rigged up!

RideMX4life21 likes this.
  12. Pat_

Pat_ Newbie

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Agree with most everyone above. The F115 will suit 95% of your needs.

Save the extra money from the F150 + hydraulic steering for when you want to move up to the 21SE next year.

13. bendingmoments

bendingmoments Newbie

Name:
    E Alpha
    Boat:
    N/A
    All,

If you're getting a newer 1801 hull, legally, you won't be able to get a 150hp. Not sure what year they changed, but the newer ones are rated to only 130hp and only hold 40 gallons of fuel (check with WestCoast marine or call Parker Customer Service).

Mine is a 97 hull (can't believe it's already 20 years old), holds 60 gallons of fuel and is rated to 150hp. This boat is bullet proof and is still going strong. My 115hp powers my boat. It's very efficient on the fuel bill where l average over 4mpg. However, adding a 3rd buddy for a day of fishing, it starts to show its "getting on plane" limits.

If I were to do it all over again, I would stick with the 115hp.

Hope this helps...

14. FHisherman

FHisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Parker
    150 is still an option offered by Parker on new models.

15. bendingmoments

bendingmoments Newbie

Name:
    E Alpha
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yes, according to the Parker Website, I stand corrected. It shows that F150s are available. It must of changed over the past few years.
    However, the fuel capacity on the new hulls shows 40 Gallons. Mine has a 60 gallon tank. All too important when you venture offshore.

16. 0018Parker

0018Parker Newbie

Name:
    Steph
    Boat:
    Parker
    Ran the 115 on mine with 0 issues. Ran all over Monterey bay to Santa Cruz and back with great gas mileage

17. Mahi Geer

Mahi Geer Newbie

Name:
    pj
    Boat:
    cc Parker... Mahi Geer
    FOR $5500 GO WITH 150, HAD 07 1801, BEST 18 CC OUT THERE FOR SURE,IT IS A HEAVY BOAT AND TRIM TAB AND PERMA TRIM ARE MUST

18. peterc

peterc Member

Name:
    peter
    Boat:
    Grady 263 Chase
    I also used to own an 1800. I had an F115 on it. It did not feel under powered to me.

19. Curtis1234

Curtis1234 Newbie

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    No
    What’d you end up with?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  20. Curtis1234

Curtis1234 Newbie

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    No
    Does anyone have any experience with the live well under the forward console seat?