2018 EXCEL PHENIX TRIP—A TAIL OF LOSS

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
Great report John! We haven't had such a detailed report on here in a long while. I miss them. Hopefully maybe you inspired others to write reports/stories.
thank you
I really miss seeing other actual trip reports...funny how they died out. There used to be a few guys that took the time...now not so much. Not counting on a resurgence though. I'll write more if someone wants to pay for my trips

Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
I didn’t find that standard poppers like Halcos were working this trip. I did get 3 on a Heru Skipjack and 3 on a Nomad Riptide. Skipping a jig worked well too! Just straight winding the Skipjack produces an effect like skip jigging but is much easier to do.

Good to know about the skipjack. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Thanks for writing a great report, no matter what, through all of the ups and downs we are all still incredibly lucky to be able to enjoy the San Diego Long Range Fishery.

-Connor

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Hey John,
Great report! I had a blast watching you and Ed cast your long rods. You guys were amazing. It was definitely a tough trip as things were never really wide open. Like you ...I have plenty of fish to last the year and I am thankful for that. But next time the fish really decide to bite I am going for some revenge. Lots of great characters on this trip. To me the passengers were the best part of this trip.

Upvote 0

sierraed

Long rods and big boats
Oct 10, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Ed
Boat
Royal Polaris and EXCEL
Hey John,
Great report! I had a blast watching you and Ed cast your long rods. You guys were amazing. It was definitely a tough trip as things were never really wide open. Like you ...I have plenty of fish to last the year and I am thankful for that. But next time the fish really decide to bite I am going for some revenge. Lots of great characters on this trip. To me the passengers were the best part of this trip.
Dave, enjoyed sharing the pointy end with you and you’re certainly got in your licks with the jig. I probably asked you 30 times is that a “light or heavy,” and you never tired of the question. We’re changing it up in 2019 so I hope you’ll consider joining us on another 10 day adventure.

Reactions: Pangamaster
Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Dave, enjoyed sharing the pointy end with you and you’re certainly got in your licks with the jig. I probably asked you 30 times is that a “light or heavy,” and you never tired of the question. We’re changing it up in 2019 so I hope you’ll consider joining us on another 10 day adventure.

Hey Ed, keep me in the loop! I know you guys are on some waiting lists for next year. FYI...I was taking notes...what rods, what reels you guys were using..Kind of like a stalker......I need to modernize.... I also watched how often you changed your jigs....Those little clip things came in handy. Always learning something!

Reactions: sierraed
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Hi John...
    I see Nick as a crew member. The Excel just got a heck of a crew member there...

Reactions: reellady
    Upvote 0

sierraed

Long rods and big boats
    Oct 10, 2011
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Royal Polaris and EXCEL
    Hey Ed, keep me in the loop! I know you guys are on some waiting lists for next year. FYI...I was taking notes...what rods, what reels you guys were using..Kind of like a stalker......I need to modernize.... I also watched how often you changed your jigs....Those little clip things came in handy. Always learning something!
    We need to chat. I stopped fishing for 20 years and an entire generation of tackle passed me by, then I modernized after trying to upgrade my old stuff. A bad and expensive detour. Should have started fresh with Tinidad A’s and Talicas.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tim Turis
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Hi John...
    I see Nick as a crew member. The Excel just got a heck of a crew member there...
    Sorry, Bill, don’t recognize Nick. Where should we know him from, previous boat?

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    nice writeup

227.jpg

Upvote 0

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
    Name
    Boomer
    Boat
    Any one that floats.
    Hi John...
    Did you see him in a dream? He’s moved on from the industry as of right now. I wish him nothing but luck in his future endevours and will miss him tremendously on the RR3.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Did you see him in a dream? He’s moved on from the industry as of right now. I wish him nothing but luck in his future endevours and will miss him tremendously on the RR3.

Thanks Mike... We will all miss Him. But more important is Nick is moving forward.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Thank You for the Fantastic write up of the trip. My Buddy and I are scheduled to go on this trip in 2019, and I am really looking forward to it.

Reactions: NaplesJohn
    Upvote 0