2017 CRYSTAL PIER KID'S ANNUAL FISHING DERBY! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED ONCE AGAIN!

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
CRYSTAL PIER KID'S ANNUAL FISHING DERBY! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
Saturday, July 22, Bring your kids to fish ages 15 and younger!

We could REALLY use your help from 7:30 am until 11:30 am:

• Cut bait - I need 2-3 volunteers to work the bait cutting station. Bring your own knife and cut the bait into small chunks and make bait trays for the kids.
We have @ 300 - 400 kids fishing this event FREE of charge each year. The kids and their families are provided loaner rods, bait, lunch: fish tacos provided by Bub's and pizza from Filippi's, drinks, face-painting, TONS of great prizes and it's all free! It's a great way to give back to the community and to help the kids!
The event starts at 8:00 am.

Who is available to volunteer this year? Please post your availability in this thread and show up ready to help!

Here's a link to last year's Derby pics:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/crystal-pier-kids-fishing-derby-2016.632649/#post-4143206

Link to posts and pics from 2014:
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/crystal-pier-kids-fishing-derby-2014-pics-and-post.549349/

Link to posts and pics from 2012: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/heavy-pics-crystal-pier-kids-fishing-derby-2012.443729/

Address: 4500 Ocean Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109

How To Get There: Take I-5 to Garnet Ave. then take Garnet to the foot of the pier
http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/index.php?id=piers:crystal_pier

Facilities
Restrooms, one cleaning station, some benches, and limited night lighting. Some bait and tackle is available at the pier office. Parking can be a problem! Metered parking is available on the side street at the foot of the pier if you can find it. This is a popular area for beach go’ers and surfers and they just don’t seem to realize they should leave the parking spaces for the fishermen. Arriving any time after the early morning hours simply means you must look around for a space. Do not park in the nearby parking lots that have posted warnings—they mean it and will not hesitate to have your car towed away.

Handicapped Facilities
None. The surface is wood planking and the railing is approximately 40 inches high.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
if i volunteer to cut bait, will i be in a position to keep my kids within sight? im certain they will want to participate in all the activities. never been to the event so im not sure how its laid out. and where i'd be in relation to them.

Upvote 0

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
if i volunteer to cut bait, will i be in a position to keep my kids within sight? im certain they will want to participate in all the activities. never been to the event so im not sure how its laid out. and where i'd be in relation to them.

Yes, you will absolutely be in position to keep your kids within sight. The sink to cut bait is located near the middle of the pier. Kids line up anywhere along the pier to fish and can fish right near you. Actually, that area of the pier seems to be where many of the bigger fish have been caught over the years. Lunch will be served around 11:00 or 11:30-ish and that is at the very end of the pier where they would wait in line to get their food. You could stop cutting bait if needed to take them down to get food. Facepainting is also at the end of the pier. Then the raffle and awards will be after fishing ends which would be at a time you will no longer be needed for cutting bait and could be there with them. Basically, the activities are facepainting which goes on the entire time and lunch which is a wait in line for food and they can bring their food back to their fishing spot near you. How old are your kids?

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Do you only need bait cutters?

My son(19) and I will both volunteer to help. There's two. I'll be bringing my two daughters to fish too.

Last edited:
Reactions: nunyabizness1
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
We need people to rig the rods before the kids get there, (Stringing the line and tying the dropper loops), food serving, helping the kids through out the day, clean up, etc.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
ok let me what i can do. my son is 11, my daughter is 8. she just caught her first sand bass on the fourth while waiting for fireworks at Queen Mary.

Upvote 0

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
ok let me what i can do. my son is 11, my daughter is 8. she just caught her first sand bass on the fourth while waiting for fireworks at Queen Mary.

Show up at the pier and ask for me/Maggie and bring your knifes to cut bait. Bring lots of sunscreen and hats for the kids to wear. Maybe folding chairs, drinks, snacks...

thank you!

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I frequently do the bait cutting with help. I usually have it all cut up by 830. Then i strike out with the hotter milfs and walk over to Dennys for breakfast is the norm. You wont be on bait lockdown all day...

Unless something changes I'm going to be down there to cut bait.... This is gonna be my year though... :boobies:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    looks like my daughter and i will be there. i'll bring a knife.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Man I wish I lived closer as I would be all over helping out. Such a great project you have put together, can't imagine you will have any issue with getting help from BD members.

Upvote 0

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
    Feb 9, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Nunya
    Boat
    S. S. Minnow
    thanks so much everyone! The gates open at 8 so we will need to get the bait cut and lots of trays made up ready to go! See you there!

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Had a great time cutting bait and helping people today. And to top it off, my girls had an awesome time and scored quite well too!

Until next year...

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    it was nice to meet you and the family bob, thanks maggie, the kids and i had fun, my son asked if we could go back tomorrow. great event, great people, hope for an invite back next year.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    Yes, you will absolutely be in position to keep your kids within sight. The sink to cut bait is located near the middle of the pier. Kids line up anywhere along the pier to fish and can fish right near you. Actually, that area of the pier seems to be where many of the bigger fish have been caught over the years. Lunch will be served around 11:00 or 11:30-ish and that is at the very end of the pier where they would wait in line to get their food. You could stop cutting bait if needed to take them down to get food. Facepainting is also at the end of the pier. Then the raffle and awards will be after fishing ends which would be at a time you will no longer be needed for cutting bait and could be there with them. Basically, the activities are facepainting which goes on the entire time and lunch which is a wait in line for food and they can bring their food back to their fishing spot near you. How old are your kids?

hi maggie, will you be posting pics from the event today here on bd?

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Picture of your "Milf" Carl?

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Scott, it was great meeting you and your kids. I'd be happy to share the station with you again.

@Fishbones Carl flaked out, so I hope his milf had fins!

Upvote 0

Latest posts