2016 BFT success stories.....

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by ?? fisherman, May 31, 2016.

1. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Lets hear em!

I've been heavily landlocked as usual lately, so hearing of this nice grade of local BFT around, has me chomping at the bits again. Might as well help quench mine and others thirst by hearing from those of you who have been successful at one or more of these slugs so far this year.

It's always cool to compare styles and take notes of what works for others, so here is what I thought would be cool for this thread. Lets hear what worked for you. We dont need locations, just good solid info on what terminal tackle worked for you.

So how bout it...... let's see what's working for some of ya. Go ahead and throw out some bragging....... because you deserve it if you scored one already....... we all know these BFT can be some finicky SOBs.

So let's hear it....... throw out some terminal info....... you know, rod, reel, spectra, mono, topshot, hook size, bait, jig, kite, size of fish, fight time, and whatever else you care to throw in there (pics are always an added bonus).

Ok, throw down boys..... if anything, it helps pass the time of being stuck on land LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Looks like the few fortunate that have caught one or more this season are more shy and elusive than the BFT themselves LOL

3. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Ok,I'm going to take things into my own hands and get this thing started, since a bunch of these guys are being so gun shy.

Forgive me Rick & Neil, but I just read your incredible story, so Im starting this thing off with Ricks info given as gear.

Here we go....

1.May 30th
    2. Angler - Rick Maxa
    3. 205lb local Bluefin Tuna
    4. Reel - Talica 12
    5. Line - Straight 50#
    6. Jig/Bait - Jig - make unknown
    7.10' Rod - Make, currently unknown
    8. Fight Time - Unknown
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    kbray001 likes this.
  4. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Was chatting with the crew from the new lo-an sunday night and they knew someone who got a 225 lber on a popper on sunday.

5. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Ricks buddy Neil reportedly scored his fish the day before. Lots of unknowns at the moment in terms of terminal tackle on this bad boy, but damn is this fish for sure is worth mentioning.

1.May 29th
    2. Angler - Neil Barbour
    3. 225lb local Bluefin Tuna
    4. Reel - currently unknown
    5. Line - Currently unknown
    6. Jig/Bait - Currently unknown
    7. Rod - Currently unknown
    8. Fight Time - Unknown
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    I was not about to steal his thunder but yes Rick posted this on his Facebook.

7. socaldieseltech

socaldieseltech Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Clyde
    Boat:
    25' Wellcraft Coastal "No Reason"
    I have been fortunate enough to get 2 of these. Not the jumbos but I'd say a 70 and an 80+. The first day, Friday we found them and the birds and fish were kinda scattered and not staying up very well. We chased that stuff around for a couple hours but couldn't get within 200 yards without it sinking out. We tried running and gunning, idling up to them, shutting down upswell, etc. We finally had to leave because of time restraints, so we headed for the barn and on the way back, that's when we found BIRDNADO. It was insane. They stayed up and let us cast right to them. Middle of the boil, we threw irons and poppers for nada. Arghhhhh!!! At one point I snagged a 2" chovy on my surface iron. They had sunk out by then , but as we waited for it to come up again I said I have a 42g colt sniper that looks just like that. Me and my buddy both tied those on and slid up on it again......instant double!!!! His broke off in 10 seconds but we got mine and took turns pulling on it. 65-70# fish. We could have got more but I really needed to get my kids from daycare and we were late per our float plan.

Sunday we went back out and found them again. They was tonnage but scattered. I obviously was planning on using the same jig but somehow tied on the 60g without realizing it. Anyway we were on it for a couple hours , same thing they kept sinking out , until finally.....one stayed up long enough for us to cast to it. My buddy on the bow with the surface iron got ignored but I got picked up. It was rad seeing the fish follow the jig out of the school and then inhale it. Handed off to the gf and watched her get pinned to the rail. We chased them around for a little while longer but couldn't find any to stay up and we were feeling blessed with one fish so we called it a day.

Both fish were stuffed with red crabs and chovies. They are strong fish with serious shoulders. I saw fish pushing #150. Fortunately/unfortunately we did not hook any of those.
    now for my gear which is almost laughable that I got both fish on:
    9' 15-40 turners Californian
    Okuma Cortez reel (the small one)
    65 spectra
    50 yards #50 izor mono
    Colt sniper (greenish one) 42-60g

Good luck guys , fishes of your lifetime are out there.

8. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Thanks Clyde, I totally appreciate you adding to this post. I saw your fish posted the other day...... too cool!!

And there is nothing laughable about the gear you used to land them. I think it's cool as all shit! You got it done, and more than once...... very impressive bro!

Thanks again for adding your info!

9. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Ill chime in with some of my thoughts and methods. By all means, I am no expert but merely a weekend warrior who enjoys fishing so please take that for what its worth. Ive put on almost 20 of these big blues in the last two months and here are some tips I can give you.

Most people bring too heavy of gear. Yes, I get it, its easier to land the fish on the right gear however, the first rule is you have to get bit first before you can fight the fish. There are much much more fish lost than landed…and of course with the note spoken above…. you have to get bit first then worry about the gear youre using. Ive brought friends on who have done this over and over…….only to end up using my gear to get bit.

These mostly are all surface fish begin found under birds and boils. I believe a long rod is a must. I normally bring 4 jig sticks with me, 3 9 footers and 1 ten. Im 5'6 so yes, the fight is killer on my back. By all means, if you can cast a lever drag which is completely possible, than more power to you. My mono for irons/poppers/ and colts are no other than Izorline XXX 40lb and 50lb. My reels are 3 Trinidad 20 DC loaded with 300 years of 65lb power pro max cuatro then topped with mono. I believe that every inch matters… From experience, Tranx is the only reel I cast well with full spectra and 3 foot topshot of seguar premier 50lb fluro. So with this said, the casting distance will cover more ground and get you bit more. For bait, I've only used one 7 foot 50lb rod by Graphite USA (old model back in 2009) matched with Talica 12 2 speed, 80lb power pro, with 50,60 lb premier fluro topshot with 3/0 ringed circle hook.

Theres plenty of fish to be had and I just hope everyone gets a chance at these fish. More private boats have been getting into these than the charter boats due to a plethora of reasons, speed, how many people casting, pleasing the masses etc….but there are some that still get them. By all means, I dont charter my boat at all but there are some great 4-6 pack operations that have been doing really well and I would def book a trip with them to get a shot at these bluefin.

Hope this helps….good luck guys.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg