No fish in O'side
Dec 6, 2005
Vista
Name
Joe
Boat
26', Striper, Wage Burner
FYI:
In the IATTC/GAC meeting I was in yesterday they announced that the 2015 Mexican commercial limit on BFT would be reached by Friday June 5 at the latest.

This should allow some of those BFT that have been seen in Mexican waters to "roam" out maybe?

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

Next ? is will Mex open a recreational quota and reaching the U.S. quota. last I heard was that the U.S. quota was nearing full.

Upvote 0

g's toy

Apr 21, 2005
    sd
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2301,swirl--sold
    FYI:
    In the IATTC/GAC meeting I was in yesterday they announced that the 2015 Mexican commercial limit on BFT would be reached by Friday June 5 at the latest.

This should allow some of those BFT that have been seen in Mexican waters to "roam" out maybe?
    We need Jason to have the plane take some photos of the tuna pens and boats etc. the next few weeks. See if they have stopped setting on the BF's. If not post them and send a copy to the Mexican Fisheries. Doubt if it would work, but worth the effort to call B.S. on their announcement.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I shared a slip next to an agua-farmer at the Coral last week. He said they were running 18 seiners and about to be done. He said the authorities were very strict about the amount the amount being taken and they are being diligent in their take.

That said. the real problem is bait - as I watch a bait seiners all last week decimate the inshore bait populations. Tuna are fed 6 days a week I was told a few years ago. If for example they have 10000 tuna @ 1# of bait per day that's 60000#'s of bait a week. If a scoop is 5#'s then that 12000 scoops a week.

I would hope in the uptick in conservancy, Conapesca and NOAA would come up with an corm based alternative to fatten the tuna and save the sardine.

Reactions: plj46 and cksea
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    :appl:

Next ? is will Mex open a recreational quota and reaching the U.S. quota. last I heard was that the U.S. quota was nearing full.

I'm having trouble understanding CA DFW dragging their feet on the 2 fish limit. How can we sit on the 10 fish limit and ask Mexico to allow us to cross the border and catch them down there? I would like to see some movement on it soon, give and take on both sides.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Reached their quota?
    With the quality of BF evryone is seeing and catching north of the border one would think they havent even been fishing.

I have a bad feeling they are going to do a number on the yellowfin....fuckin seiners LOL.R.I.P WC.

Upvote 0

BigJoe

No fish in O'side
    Dec 6, 2005
    Vista
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    26', Striper, Wage Burner
    I'm having trouble understanding CA DFW dragging their feet on the 2 fish limit. How can we sit on the 10 fish limit and ask Mexico to allow us to cross the border and catch them down there? I would like to see some movement on it soon, give and take on both sides.

Actually the Fish and Game Commission passed Federal Conforming actions in the April Meeting. Tuna are a Federally managed species. We are waiting on the Federal Register comments to be reviewed and the Federal process to complete. Once that process is complete the conforming regulations the state passed will also go into affect. They had over 900 comments to review on the regulation.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Actually the Fish and Game Commission passed Federal Conforming actions in the April Meeting. Tuna are a Federally managed species. We are waiting on the Federal Register comments to be reviewed and the Federal process to complete. Once that process is complete the conforming regulations the state passed will also go into affect. They had over 900 comments to review on the regulation.

Joe, thanks.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    How many pounds of bait do the fish eat a day if they are not in a pen?

Not trying to be a dick, just wondering if there is a major difference, I wouldn't think it would be much different. Its pretty much the same scenario, the fish get on a big spot of bait and gorge themselves until its gone...

Upvote 0