2013 Year in review - End of an era & the rise of Hannibal!

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Brabo1432, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sockeye71

Sockeye71 If it swims... we will hunt it down and club it!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Olympic 26' XLC "Sea Monkey"
    Decided to do my annual “End of season recap” post before I go into Winter hibernation…
    1[SUP]st[/SUP] trip of the year April 19-21 Lake Chelan Kokannee. 1st time trying this fishery and what a blast. Took the “old” DawnMarie (trophy) for 3 days with my young daughter and targeted the chunky kokes. After working through some bugs, we got it down and hit some doubles of these nasty little fighters! Great time camping on boat with her and getting 11 kokes to the boat. Love the Manson Marina and area. If you’ve never done this fishery – I’d recommend it!

551486_10200882842384518_1638422932_n.jpg 544754_10200872146237121_747026714_n.jpg

Move onto Lapush for Halibut. Hit 3 of 4 days of the Halibut season and got easy limits of ‘ butts and Lings… also hammered the Seabass. Left Lapush with over 80lbs of fillets! (great fishing with kbecker93, Capt Coldeye, DuwamishGreg, FishBio Jeff, Ryan, etc etc. GREAT bbq together with all the BD brothers' up there. Can’t wait to hit Lapush with the new boat in ’14! Biggest Hali was only 43# this year, but my biggest ling was 42#... got my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Black Cod (sablefish)

947213_10201095851749619_752714697_n.jpg 007.JPG 008.JPG 012.JPG 015.jpg

Caught a world record “White Trash Fish or WTF” at Lake Chelan – I even had to have Chelan County Deputies help me land it!

006.jpg 008 (2).jpg

June was SLOW… tried once for salmon and it sucked. Need to find a good JUNE fishery! Canada?

July started off at Neah over the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] long weekend. Kbecker, Coldeye, Fishbio Jeff, and moored next to Hawaiian Style and family. Got in late on 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and decided to run just around Waddah and head West… stopped ¼ of the way to Tatoosh and 10 min later BAM, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] king of the season 36lb plus for kbecker! On a diver / flasher w/ cop-car. 10 min later, same set up = 22 lb king for fishbio jeff! What a way to start the salmon season! The next 3 days was more of the same, just smaller fish. Ended up with 6 kings, many coho, many pinks, etc etc. Even caught one local kid trying to rip off gear (beer) from Hawaiian Style and my boat!!
    Second weekend on Neah was equally as good, but only got one day of fishing in due to a bad started solenoid. Still got fish though.

221.JPG 218.JPG 231.jpg

Broke out the Mighty Mite rod and got a king, coho, pink on it....will get a Albi and Ling on it next year!!!

225.jpg

Transitioned to WP in late July and hit it with Duwamish Greg and FB Jeff, another 32# and 23# king… tried tuna on the Ruffian… got 13 for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] time with two rookies and a homemade bait tank!

283.jpg 284.jpg 287.jpg 293.jpg 288.jpg 294.jpg

WTC time! Crew’d this year for HawaiianStyle-Tom. Let’s just say it was EPIC all three days! WIDE OPEN on wed & thurs…. Friday just kicked back and carked! WTC day… we had an awesome day… came in with 121.76lbs, good for 12[SUP]th[/SUP] place. Not bad. Always next year, Had one 28.5, but needed 2-3 more like that. Still wondering what I hooked when I was casting a swimbait to the kelp-paddy!!!? We slid over to a pad of kelp during the WTC and on my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] cast “BAM” something hit and just ran & ran for about 5 seconds. I was daydreaming – looking for jumpers and didn’t set it… gone just like that! SUCKS!

Thanks HawaiianStyle and all the other BloodyDecker’s… see ya next year for the 2014 WTC!

278.jpg 055.jpg

While waiting for Johns River to open - Moved into the sound for some local fishing with the kids – got tons pinks! Or something like that… trolled the green for silvers and did really well. (14 coho before the nets went in) Plus huge No fuel $$$$.

013.jpg 024.jpg 011.jpg

John River opens. BUT I have a bad carb on the boat. At least it’s under warranty! Still head down to WP for the inshore fishery with kbecker93 – just going to use the kicker.
    We LOST 5 of 7 fish the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] day!!! The toughest day of fishing of the year! Very pissed. Day #2, somewhat better as we get a couple of nice coho. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Day somewhat better as we get another 30# kings. Plus a couple smaller coho.

069.JPG 296.jpg 290.jpg

Next – 10/4-10/6, I decide to take my brother’s recently purchased Arima to Sekiu for Coho… Just me and my 3 yr old daughter. What a blast!!! Easy limits all 3 days, plus 2 fish over 13#! Love those crazy Coho in late Sept. I am now an ARIMA fan for inshore fishing. What a great little boat! Easy to fish & run… Will definitely do Sekiu next year with the family… my daughter just loved it there!

IMG_0891.jpg IMG_0882.jpg IMG_0896.jpg 059.jpg IMG_0883.jpg

HUNT FOR (BLOOD) RED OCTOBER!!! End of the DawnMarie era & the rise of Hannibal!
    Mid October… Kbecker93 finally talks me into buying a new boat with him… 26’ Boulton. AWESOME… AWESOME… yes, AWESOME…. Day after we pick it up, we’re heading to WP for the maiden voyage for Tuna. Hardcore run and hit over 3 dozen!!! Boat fishes almost perfect! Decided on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] run this last weekend, did good in sloppy seas!
    LOST my Penn International 30W and rod!

003 - Copy.jpg View attachment 479989 View attachment 479991

View attachment 479992 011.jpg View attachment 479990 008.jpg

Now it's time to sell the DawnMarie Trophy. It served me well for almost 5 years, but it’s time to sell her off! I had some of my best memories on this boat, fishing with my son Josh, daughter, Hawaiian Jeff, kbecker93, Coldeye, etc etc.

IMG_0092.jpg

Rise of Team Hannibal....

005 - Copy.jpg

Thanks to all of my friends, wife (for letting me go - allot!) and fellow fisherman.

291.jpg

Another great & safe season is over!!!

Attached Files:

• 250.jpg
      250.jpg
      File size:
      283.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. MarkFromSea

MarkFromSea Piscatologist

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    "Solo"
    THAT, is the life of Riley right there! Thanks for sharing!

3. GregE

GregE Seeking Kodak Moments

Name:
    Greg Eastman
    Boat:
    Kodak- Osprey LC 26, Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    Very detailed and fun read!!

It was nice seeing you guys out of WP getting that Boulton dialed in.

4. Hawaiian Style

Hawaiian Style Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Defiance ADMIRAL 220EX " Hawaiian Style "
    Nice season for sure good talking to you Dave I'll see you at Neah bay next year. Also nice boat

5. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Great pictures

All of them included. :evilimu:

6. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    Those pictures with your daughter are so great. I have a three-year-old little girl too. I wish I were a better captain and fisherman so I could have taken it out more. She loved being out and would get so excited when we would pull up the crab pots.

Hell of a year for you and the team indeed.

7. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Thanks for sharing, you sold me on wanting to come up there sometime. Oh oh, you are going to get more guys from Cali moving north. Look forward to more reports next year.

8. Deviant

Deviant I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
    Looks like you had a good year Dave and a killer boat to boot!

9. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
    Very cool season - thanks for sharing!

10. Cap'n Coldeye

Cap'n Coldeye Salt Shaker

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Shamrock 220 "Loco Gringo"
    You might want to have Sun Burnt John checked for high levels of mercury. Shit the fish even looks freaked out, by him. Tuna Zombie right there!
    Cheers

11. Team Sency

Team Sency Unleash the hounds!!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    JuiceBox2
    Congrats again on new machine!! Those koks are monsters!

12. hunterb

hunterb Fish Killer

Name:
    Hunter Burrows
    Boat:
    22' Grady The Fishy Hooker
    Those are some great pictures. You seem to have had quite a good year.

13. Hewes OP

Hewes OP Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!

Name:
    Geoff
    Boat:
    Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
    Looks like you had a fantastic season and congrats on the new ride.

14. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Ok awesome year!!! but elaborate on the WT and the cops... jus curious

15. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    World Cat 266SF
    Was that the boat at defiance? It looks like it has a monster fish hold.

16. Talon5050

Talon5050 Newbie

Name:
    Dano
    Boat:
    Team Mojo
    Great report and pics! Come on 2014!!!

17. Sockeye71

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Yes, it was at Defiance for a while.... he was asking tooo much back then. I guess the former owner is wanting to order a 29' ft Guadalupe or something.

Two sunday's ago - we had 38 Albi's in the box with a 1/2 tote of ice and could have easily held another 20!!! Plus we didn't even use the rear / stern fish box. I bet we could hold 70! Not that we need too!!!

18. Sockeye71

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Drunk white trash was swimming 1/4 mile offshore in Lake Chelan Memorial weekend. I went out fishing and saw him struggling and turning purple... called 911... deputies showed up, but they didnt have a key to their rescue boat so they came onto my Trophy.... Lame. The guy broke my kicker bracket and kicker handle... I got it covered by the county though.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya - I can't wait to fish Lake Chelan in April again.... those kokes are fun!

19. J.C.

J.C. Run what ya Brung

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    18' aluminum
    Awesome year you had.The report on the record white trash fish earlier this year was hilarious.