.:LOLLY:.

Nov 18, 2011
Downey, CA
Name
Alfredo
Boat
Float Tube
The somewhat long story...

Woke up at 2am picked up my brother and we were on our way by 3am. We arrived at the ramp at around 420am or so. Say our hello's and jump on John's boat and away we go. We found a spot that looked super fishy...um I mean sharky LOL. We are just getting ready to do our thing and next thing you know, the Navy is on the radio telling us to move. WTF we are like 2 miles from them. No problem, we pack up and move. John finds another decent looking spot and we're good to go.

This is what happens when you have a captain that knows what he's doing!

My rod was the first to go and was the shark cherry for myself as well as john's boat.

SHARK ON DECK ALL FLIP FLOP WEARERS BEWARE

Same flip flop wearing maniac getting the hook back :?:

Not even five minutes later John is hooked up and his hits the deck

Here they are side by side

John...No...what are you doing... don't put that there...

I told you he wasn't dead yet :lol!:

Even my brother was able to get in on the shark action with a shark for beginners LOL. Since he's not much of a fisherman we had to make sure it was safe for him to land one without getting bit :lol!:

Both sharks side by side

My brother and I holding up my shark

We even got to see a sweet military hover craft. Those things are fast and LOUD, even from miles away.

Yummy... I can't wait to tear into shark for my first time!

Once again, thanks John for the invite. It was a sweet first time on your boat.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Great catch............

Upvote 0

asabadin

May 11, 2006
glendora
Name
Angelo
Boat
16ft lowe side console tin can
Awesome! hope you guys enjoy all that great meat. Hit me up if you have left overs LOL...The GOOGAN tree huggers are bound to pounce on you, f..k them! as long as the meat doesn't go to waste, IMO no problem.

Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
great catch..something to be very proud of.

Upvote 0

2MAYEtoes

Mackerel Maker
Apr 24, 2011
San Diego
Name
Cristin Kelly
Boat
Privateer
Is that the same guy from the front page with the big halibut? He's cute!

flirt.gif

Now off to make some popcorn.

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
M&M Candy
Well, there goes our Legal means/agents of getting rid of some Seals/Sea Lions... the Sea Lions thank you very much.

On the other hand, if the Feds/State lets us catch/thin out the Seals/Sea Lions, then catch as many sharks (Makos and Great Whites) as you want, to keep our local swimming beaches safe.

Upvote 0

rodngun762

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Well, there goes our Legal means/agents of getting rid of some Seals/Sea Lions... the Sea Lions thank you very much.

QFT.

and now for my unsolicited personal thoughts...which I should keep to myself but people are popping popcorn so I don't want to disappoint them

im not an enviro hippie, I love killing fish for eating, and mako is some great meat. it's kind of a lazy way of meat killing, but whatever. I like sharks but I don't cry when they are killed.

But THE PROBLEM IS makos are a top level predator... if you kill WSB, then ok a few more market squid and sardines are going to be around, and nobody is worried about that... the birds, the barracuda, the sand bass, whales etc will scoop em up! You kill a few makos... and suddenly we are talking about more sea lions! Which is a very big problem. Only 3 things eat sea lions in southern California. Orcas (very sporadic and here randomly), GWS, and 500+lb makos.

sorry to crap on your report thread. looks like you guys had fun!!

Upvote 0

catmagic

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City, Az
Name
Jeff
Boat
26 foot Glacier Bay Cat Magic
I am O.K. with popping cherries and celebrating.

However, as you grow into manhood in shark fishing, you will learn to appreciate these wonderful fish and NEVER keep a female.

Please keep one or two fish a year to eat, and make it a medium sized male, and release the rest. The fun is in the bite, jump, and fight on light tackle, not killing everything.

Congrats on the catch..

P.S. if you play with fire... no heads on my boat!!

Upvote 0

Oingo

Seasoned veteran
Sep 13, 2005
Name
rw
Boat
I put extra butter on my popcorn..:rofl:

Upvote 0

.:LOLLY:.

Nov 18, 2011
Downey, CA
Name
Alfredo
Boat
Float Tube
Thanks for the ones with the positive comments.

Nothing went to waste and I'm typically catch and release.

This was just something on my bucket list.

Upvote 0

flytyer

Jul 3, 2008
Ridgecrest, CA, USA
Name
Allen
Boat
Triumph 170CC/Yamaha
Mischief--too funny!

No strong feelings either way--the take was legal, so it's really none of my business. Just because I would have likely C&R'ed them doesn't mean that everyone needs to.

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Michael
Boat
M&M Candy
It the Popcorn still popping?

Nothing went to waste and I'm typically catch and release.

Good to know :) Makes us feel better.

This was just something on my bucket list.

... Too bad the Baby Makos did not have a chance to Kill a Seal or two, before it "Kicked the Bucket" :(

We need to stick to catching more of the Elusive Game like the Thresher Sharks. More of a Challenge to Catch, Great Jumpers, Great Eating, and completely useless to thining out the Seal Population.

Or we can even the playing field... Jump in the water with two short daggers in each hand and tie a Tuna Carcass to ones waist and back.

Be sure to also wear a GoPro...

Upvote 0

makohunterz

I'm that one guy
Jul 18, 2008
hemet
Name
markis
Boat
eventually gonna get one named "MakoHunterz"
It the Popcorn still popping?

Good to know :) Makes us feel better.

... Too bad the Baby Makos did not have a chance to Kill a Seal or two, before it "Kicked the Bucket" :(

We need to stick to catching more of the Elusive Game like the Thresher Sharks. More of a Challenge to Catch, Great Jumpers, Great Eating, and completely useless to thining out the Seal Population.

Or we can even the playing field... Jump in the water with two short daggers in each hand and tie a Tuna Carcass to ones waist and back.

Be sure to also wear a GoPro...

googan

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts