Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
halibutlogo_815513.jpg

Ok, here we go! The 12th annual ATIHC was dedicated in the memory of my good friend Troy Switzer this year and took place under perfect conditions!

The last two years have been financially tough on nearly everybody, and local tournaments have suffered just as well with attendance being down quite a bit.

All in all, we still managed a decent 29 boats for this years tourny, and once all were in place it was time to get things rolling. We started with the traditional bridge photo shot in which we try to get the group of boats huddled together prior to role call and the start.

This year we had Frank "MoBetta" as well as his son Nate as our tournament photographers..... Thanks Nate & Frank!!

A shot of most of the teams right as we are about to make our way out of the channel.

nate107-l.jpg

The start was really fun for me to watch again, as once we get to outside the channel entrance and make our turn North, it is just totally cool watching all the boats gun it forward running to their first chosen spot to fish. Some guys gun it inside, while others are running it wide to the outside, all with the hopes of getting to their spot and getting it done!

The goal in this tournament has always been to put together an ongoing group of repeat teams and anglers, all getting to know one another over the years and going out and having a good time while still putting on your game face and trying to win a little $$.

It didn't take too long for things to get started as Team "Mad Lamb" was the first to call in a boated fish. Mad Lamb captained by Adi Ljubovic called in his fish at 7:00am.

Another hour and a half would pass before the next fish was called in, and that fish went to Team "Libre" captained by Tony Sanfillipo, as he called in their first fish at 8:35am. Team Libre seemed to have been in a good zone as they called in a second boated fish at 8:48am.

Not long after, Team "Zorros Gene" captained by Gary White called in their first boated fish of the day. The bite seemed to be on a pretty consistent role at this point as next up was Team "The Menu" captained by John Pye, calling in their first boated fish at 9:30am.

45 minutes would pass before we had another boated fish, and that went again to Team "The Menu" as they called in their second fish at 10:15am ,yet was quickly followed right away by Team "Mad Lamb" calling in his second fish also at 10:15am.

Another hour would pass before we saw the next boated fish, which went to Team "The Menu", as John called in their 3rd fish at 11:20am..... Team "The Menu" had definitely found their zone it seemed, but would their fish be big enough to take it?? Time would tell.

Not to be outdone, and no stranger when it comes to tournaments, Team "Tail Chasers" captained by Leo Turner finally got into the game and boated their first fish at 12:25pm.

The final fish to be called in to Team "Mad Lamb" at 12:50pm, as once again Adi connected with another, making this his third boated fish of the day. Both "Mad Lamb" and The Menu" had three boated fish, along with Team Libre who put two fish on the deck.

Here are the results and the pictures......

First Place, $1000 - Sponsored by San Diego Boats, went to Team "Mad Lamb" with a 33.3lb Halibut - Captain Adi Ljubovic, Angler Adi Ljubovic - Note: Mad Lamb was also entered into all of the side jackpots and won the additional amounts $20 JP - $330, $30 JP - $450, $50 JP $788, $75 JP $1125 - Total JPs = $2693
1st Place + all JPs
frank155-m.jpg

Adi with his first place fish
frank133-l.jpg

Adi with his third place fish
frank131-l.jpg

Second Place, $500 - Sponsored by Dana Landing MB, went to Team "Tail Chasers" with a 28.1lb Halibut. Captain Leo Turner, Angler Chris Letourneau
Chris weighing in his fish
nate126-l.jpg

Team Tail Chasers with their 28.1lb Butt
nate145-l.jpg

frank154-l.jpg

Third Place, $300 - Sponsored by BD/FishDope, went to Team "Mad Lamb" with a 25.5lb Halibut - Captain Adi Ljubovic, Angler Adi Ljubovic

frank153-l.jpg

Fourth Place, $200 - Sponsored by Berkley, went to Team "The Menu" with a 13.4lb Halibut - Captain John Pye, Angler John Pye

Team "The Menu"
frank159-l.jpg

frank152-l.jpg

Some random additional photos:

ATIHC Crew:

Me, my daughter Chelsea, My youngest Miley, their mom Anne, Morgan (Daves daughter), My sister-in-law(always) Melissa and her husband Dave
nate149-l.jpg

One more group shot
frank160-l.jpg

frank163-xl.jpg

nate130-l.jpg

nate132-l_946696.jpg

Adi with his two top fish!
nate143-l.jpg

Raffeling off a nice custom wrapped halibut stick donated by John Pye
nate133-l.jpg

One of many giveaways, Team Devilman wins a one year subscription to FishDope, compliments of Jason & Ali here at BD
frank143-l.jpg

Another of Adi with his fish
nate142-m.jpg

Adi will now have his name added to the perpetual Trophy located at Bay Park Fish Co.
mike_316.jpg

Alright, that's it for now.... gawd I can't believe how long it took to write and put up photos for this post..... Uggggg! LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Awsome job so far Mike. Keep it coming

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Those are some real quality Butts, what a great showing, congrats to all the winners!

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
It gets better every year. Thanks Mike & Family, Dave & Melissa for all the work you put into it, it show's.
Great job Adi, your always a threat anytime there's halibut to be caught.

-Tim-

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
    May 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Yak
    Adi the flattie slayer.....nicely done. Great report and pics. Sorry I was out of town for this one.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    nice fish...sweet to catch one that big any time ..even sweeter in a tourney/

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
    Feb 6, 2003
    El Cajon
    youatplay.com
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    A few more shots..

Frank101-X2.jpg

Nate104-X2.jpg

Nate107-X3.jpg

Some bridge shots looking down. I may have to do shot this again during summer with more light if you guys are interested..

Nate113-X2.jpg

Nate115-X2.jpg

Nate117-X2.jpg

Nate118-X2.jpg

Frank112-X2.jpg

Nate124-X2.jpg

Adi...what can I say...

Frank136-X2.jpg

Frank140-X2.jpg

Frank142-X2.jpg

Nate141-X2.jpg

Mike, Id say in a few more years your going to need a shotgun...

Frank141-X2.jpg

Frank161-X2.jpg

The rest of the photos are here..
    http://frankprice.smugmug.com/

Upvote 0
    Aug 2, 2009
    HB
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Shamrock CC
    Mad lamb owns it!

This is a great tunry........props to all the guys that put it together and thanks for posting it Mike.

Upvote 0

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
    Apr 9, 2006
    Merritt Island
    Name
    Dean
    Boat
    F/V Bank Robber
    Looks like another great tourney Mike! I'm so bummed I missed it this year! It was the first time I missed it in 4 years :( Oh well there is always next year. Glad you had a nice turn out and lots a nice fish to weigh in.

Congrats to the guys who took home some big checks! :rockin: :cheers:

Upvote 0

Plus1

Apr 14, 2008
    Pugetropolis
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    2002 no-name YT
    There is something wrong with a hali and a palm tree in the same pic....
    really wrrrrooonnngggggg

good tourney !

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great report IMO, and the extra pictures are really nice also!!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    What a bitchen day to be on the water,perfect conditions.
    Look forward to next year.
    Thanks Mike.

Upvote 0

Capt DevilMan

Oct 21, 2011
    Long Beach
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Who wants to name it?
    tournament was a lot of fun, thanks for the good time mike see you again next year. I will put my fishdope to good use and catch a lot of fish this year! congrats to those that put fish on the scale.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    WOW, thanks again to all of you guys/gals..... I honestly can't thank you enough for continuing to support this tourny year after year. It's becoming more important to me in a different way now, as my daughters are digging on this and looking forward to it more and more..... it's just a fun time for them.

For all the rest of us, it has become an after thanksgiving tradition, and it's just really cool and fun seeing a bunch of you guys in the morning as well as later in the day at weigh-ins

My fishing partner Vince (way back from the first tourny) told me at the weigh-in "You just can't effectively fish this tourny Mike, you're jumping around the boat like a monkey on crack" LOL. He's right man, I wanted badly to fish the best I could and put a good keeper aboard in memory of my buddy Troy, as the tournament was dedicated in his memory this year, but I totally lagged and didn't catch a single fish. My partners managed two small halibut, one sculpin and one calico. Oh well, we tried.

A giant thanks to Frank "MoBetta" and his son Nate for taking the pics! You guys are awesome! How come when you put up the pics they look so much clearer/crisper than mine? LOL... I told you I didn't have this computer thing down.:) Thanks for doing that!

Missed ya out there Dean, and I was wondering where you, Rick and a few others were, but then again I know this time of year as well as just the past two years period have been hard on people, and many times some just cant make it due to other obligations. Hope to see you all back next year!

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    Thanks again Mike & crew for a great tourney; always fun to participate; Nice job on the photos Frank & crew...congrats to Adi, wish you would have quit earlier :) and thanks to my crew, Chris and Tim for getting us on the board...see ya next year

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    There's gotta be a good Johnny B story in here somewhere?

Johnny B, paging Johnny B....... what happened bro, how'd ya do? any missed gaff shots, fell in the water?? Wasssup? :D

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    congrats to Adi, wish you would have quit earlier :) and thanks to my crew, Chris and Tim for getting us on the board...see ya next year

I was thinking about this Leo! Damn bro, I have been there in a few marlin tournys in the past. Sitting there watching the scale and suddenly seeing a fish, or in this case the last fish weighed in beating out yours, Uggggg...... like I said at the weigh-in, I have sweated bullets in that same situation. Just a tad over 5 pounds, just one fish beat you out, but that's tourny fishing.

As for Adi, damn man, what can I say! I love this guy, he's funny as hell and always has a great attitude! I have watched him fish this tourny hard for a number of years now, and if memory serves me correct, he has weighed in fish on a few occasions, but just always fell short...... well Saturday was finally his day. Congrats Adi!!

It's kinda cool seeing alot of different teams who have blanked in the past finally connect and place in the tourny.

Upvote 0