Sactotuna

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Ok, I'll be the one to say what we're all thinking (or maybe just me?).

The 2011 cow season sure is starting to look like 2010. Lower banks fish that just won't bite, and the boats are scattering down to the buffer zone and Hurricane already. Oh nooooo!

Is this the new normal?

Ugh, loooooong boat rides. Guess I'm off to buy a second book for reading days.

Maybe it'll turn around, please please please!

50 days . . .

David Brewer

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Brewer
Boat
none
Watching the reports closely, hoping that the lower banks fish go on the chew. I was also hoping for ashorter boat ride and more fishing time. I made the mistake of going on a 11 day trip in 2009, never again. More is better. I,m a happy camper, leaving on a 13 day on December 6th.

Andy Smith

Dec 28, 2008
Santa Barbara, Ca.
Name
Andy
Boat
22 Radon " Silence"
Fish swim... The big boat looks to be doing just OK on the lower banks

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Big Boat is in the Lower Zone. That's the case with most of them on the longer trips. Angler is toughing it out; Brian will find them. No word from Qualifier or from the Vagabond on the trip that produced the world record fish last year. Intrepid got something going yesterday.

Wed. November 30, 2011: Our persistence finally paid off. With changing conditions and the fish in the normal areas being less than user friendly, we decided to try something a little different and it paid off. We started with good Pargo fishing last night which turned in to good Yellowtail fishing just after breakfast. All of the Yellows were in the 25 to 40 pound class with some large Amberjack and Grouper attacking the dropper loop and Yo Yo jig as well. The bite stayed steady throughout the morning with some of the guy's finding themselves pinned to the rail as soon as they hit the bottom. Shortly after lunch we made a short move and found an area of quality Yellow fin that were just as hungry as the Yellowtail. Yellow fin in the 80 to 120 pound class put on a great show, with a couple of anglers landing as many as 4 of these trophy's. We did see sign of fish pushing the 200 pound mark, so we will definitely be giving this another day. Our weather is absolutely gorgeous and looks like it will stay that way for a while. "The Intrepid Team"

You can look at some pictures here.

http://fishintrepid.com/fish.html

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
It looked like it chewed fairly well for Pritchard on the Intrepid yesterday. I think the lower banks only has the Angler, Intrepid, and Vagabond, although it's tough to track the Spirit.

Everybody else went long as far as I can tell.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I think you go where the fish are, and then they go on and off of the bite. The temp of the water determines where the fish are. If the temp is there, and the fish are there, then hopefully it is just a momentary lull in the action!!

2010, there were some trip that sucked and others did well, I think that is cow fishing on a 10 or 11 day trip....

Last year the water temp on the lower banks changed drastically and the banks were not holding fish, so the boats opted for trips farther south Hurricane and Clarion to areas that were holding fish....

Personally, I would not want anything to do with an 11 day Clarion trip...... Too much travel not enough fishing. 15 day trip gave us plenty of fishing.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I think the Spirit's done for the season. Did the Qualifier get off the dock? Only word from Vagabond is that they left, from Facebook.

"Set off post turkey day on our World Record Cows or Bust with a lot of same gang. Excited to see what the pasture has for us this year."

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Personally, I would not want anything to do with an 11 day Clarion trip...... Too much travel not enough fishing. 15 day trip gave us plenty of fishing.
I am just fine with going to Clarion on our December 10 day on the 26th. Every ten day boat did the same last year, and at the end of 2 & a half days of fishing, I had PLENTY of fish.
I also styled out Jesus with a couple of fish, Javier wanted one, and Guido wanted a couple.

I was below the 15 fish limit, so I felt good about giving some away, donating a couple for meals.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the lower banks turn on, the fish are there.

But if the captain says we are headed to Clarion on December 26th, you WILL see a couple of Tiger fist pumps from me :D

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I think you go where the fish are, and then they go on and off of the bite. The temp of the water determines where the fish are. If the temp is there, and the fish are there, then hopefully it is just a momentary lull in the action!!

2010, there were some trip that sucked and others did well, I think that is cow fishing on a 10 or 11 day trip....

Last year the water temp on the lower banks changed drastically and the banks were not holding fish, so the boats opted for trips farther south Hurricane and Clarion to areas that were holding fish....

My glass is half full. This year we departed January 6th on the Angler. We got away a little earlier than scheduled and turned the 10.5 day into an 11 day. Lower Banks were done; some snot nosed girl by the name of La Nina.;) Brian made the long run to Clarion and we made a catch of over 100 nice tuna, many over 100 and 4 cows. An incidental catch of a handful of Wahoo.

I'd rather take the shorter run to the Lower Banks if the fish are biting. But, I'd rather make the long run and catch fish than the short run and get skunked.

Departing same trip in about 5 weeks. We'll just have to wait and see. Really, what other choice do we have? Except to chose a longer trip, and that's my plan for next season. 2012-13 will be another 15 day trip for me. Taking a serious look at Excel for that; you know, longer boats, longer trips.;)

Hoghunter

Dec 2, 2006
Woodinville, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
nonya
The one big difference I see this year compared to last for the lower banks is the temp. Last year the water around the lower banks was cooler than what the SST are showing this year. I've been watching them for the past month and they have consistently stayed around the temps that the YFT seem to like and that's the low to mid 70's with area's to around 80.

I asked Brian a couple years ago about temps for YFT and if I remember correctly he told me that 72 to 75 seems to be temp where they hang the most. I could be wrong on this but that's what I seem to remember. So if that's the case and there's fish around then you would think they would bite soon.

I sure the hell hope so. We did the Clarion thing last year on the 1/6 AA trip and caught plenty of fish but boy it was a long boat ride down and back.

I think those big ass cows are just waiting to cut loose in the next month. Positive thinking right!!!

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I am just fine with going to Clarion on our December 10 day on the 26th. Every ten day boat did the same last year, and at the end of 2 & a half days of fishing, I had PLENTY of fish.
I also styled out Jesus with a couple of fish, Javier wanted one, and Guido wanted a couple.

I was below the 15 fish limit, so I felt good about giving some away, donating a couple for meals.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the lower banks turn on, the fish are there.

But if the captain says we are headed to Clarion on December 26th, you WILL see a couple of Tiger fist pumps from me :D
For me it's not the concern of having "enough" fish. I want more time fishing after the long ride, that's why I really enjoyed the 15 day, and 13 day trips I have taken. I work all year and only get one trip unlike you :finger: :rofl:..... The one trip I get I drive from Oregon, so I have a couple days of additional travel and then setting on a boat for days I want more than 2 days of fishing... If I book a 10 day and the Captain says we're going to Clarion.... then Clarion it is..:hali_olutta:

My glass is half full. This year we departed January 6th on the Angler. We got away a little earlier than scheduled and turned the 10.5 day into an 11 day. Lower Banks were done; some snot nosed girl by the name of La Nina.;) Brian made the long run to Clarion and we made a catch of over 100 nice tuna, many over 100 and 4 cows. An incidental catch of a handful of Wahoo.

I'd rather take the shorter run to the Lower Banks if the fish are biting. But, I'd rather make the long run and catch fish than the short run and get skunked.

Departing same trip in about 5 weeks. We'll just have to wait and see. Really, what other choice do we have? Except to chose a longer trip, and that's my plan for next season. 2012-13 will be another 15 day trip for me. Taking a serious look at Excel for that; you know, longer boats, longer trips.;)
Totally agree Steve, I would rather have one good day of fishing over 4 days of boring shit..... Last year the temps changed and the fish weren't there, so there was no choice.....

I was trying be be glass half full as well saying if the fish are there and the temps are there the bite should turn around!! This year would be more compared to 2009, when the banks was hot and cold from one trip to another.....

I was down there in 2009 on one such shitty trip, the fish were metering, but not biting..... We left Thanksgiving day and spent 11 days for 8 fish :shithappens::shithappens::shithappens:...

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I'm going on a 14 day Jan 6....where ever Kevin decides to go is fine with me.....6 days of fishing at the buffer zone and Hurricane will provide plenty of time for fishing......travel is just part of the LR game.

fdengine13

Jun 5, 2004
Dana Point
Name
Paul
Boat
30' Skipjack
I have avoided the 10 day trips. It's just too much of a gamble for me. For someone who really only gets one "long" trip per year because of home and work commitments, I prefer to go long. This gives us plenty of time to figure out the pattern and to work through a "down" day. I want nothing to do with an 8 day boat ride only to get 2 - 2 1/2 days of fishing. I will open my wallet a little more and clear my schedule for 15 days.
The options for success are so much better.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
I have avoided the 10 day trips. It's just too much of a gamble for me. For someone who really only gets one "long" trip per year because of home and work commitments, I prefer to go long. This gives us plenty of time to figure out the pattern and to work through a "down" day. I want nothing to do with an 8 day boat ride only to get 2 - 2 1/2 days of fishing. I will open my wallet a little more and clear my schedule for 15 days.
The options for success are so much better.
I concur! Of course I would rather travel farther for fish that bite than travel less for more time on fish that do not bite!

- Jeff

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
a couple day longer boat ride is better than soaking bait for nothing, watching fish blow out all around you...

TShooter

Team Cheesy Poof
Mar 24, 2004
Alpine
Name
Robert Peterson
Boat
Yak, Cheesy Poof
Just got off a 13/10 I wish more trips offered the fly back option. It is so nice to jump off the boat and either be able to party for a couple of days or fly home to the family on the same day.

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
The ONLY 10 day I ever did was a fly down/Back at the Islands. We were actually fishing the first day out of Cabo.

Now I do the 13 day MINIMUM! I love all the extra time to relax, fish and chase fish. I don't mind the 3 days to the furthest zone. It just means that many more fish and fishing all the way home.

I prefer the 15 day and longer trips. Like David Brewer, I am on the Intrepid Dec. 6th and am ready to go. I don't care where they boat this gorgeous Vessel. It is fishing for me and my memorial trip with my Father. He was buried at Sea off Ensenada and that is where he and I reconnect.

So, let's go fishing. See you guys soon.
Merry Christmas to you all.

etwizard

Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
So I'm reading and reading and re-reading these reports coming in. My wife is telling me to stop it , but its crazy. Crazy not good in the lower banks. Yes, yes I know after 17 years doing this, I'd know better. Yes it will change. Maybe we won't o there on an 11 day. Maybe we'll go to Clarion like 2009 and 2010. I guess we'll go fishin, no matter what. December 7 is coming very soon! I have to stop reading these reports.

Solomon

Ok, I'll be the one to say what we're all thinking (or maybe just me?).

The 2011 cow season sure is starting to look like 2010. Lower banks fish that just won't bite, and the boats are scattering down to the buffer zone and Hurricane already. Oh nooooo!

Is this the new normal?

Ugh, loooooong boat rides. Guess I'm off to buy a second book for reading days.

Maybe it'll turn around, please please please!

50 days . . .

Last edited:

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Other than big fish, I wonder how the 10 day trips would fare on variety (Skin,l etc.) if they didn't sit on super scratch bites in the lower banks.

I know that this is late in the season for a 10 day "variety" trip. But seasons vary. I wouldn't be the least surprised to see big hoo and lot's of them, especialy this season at this time. I would think pressure would not be as hard on some spots that might get overlooked by boats heading to HB/CI or putting in the time at the lower banks.

The Excel has a 9 day coming up, I wouldn't be surprised to see them slay hoo & YT. ... Some big tuna wouldn't be out of the norm either for Justin though. I'm sure HB/CI is out of reach for a 9er.

If I could go on that trip right now I would totally be there, especially with the 10% discount they're still offering.

I'm jealous. wishinIwasfishin

RuffWater

Apr 19, 2007
SOCAL
Name
steve
Boat
none
Other than big fish, I wonder how the 10 day trips would fare on variety (Skin,l etc.) if they didn't sit on super scratch bites in the lower banks.

I know that this is late in the season for a 10 day "variety" trip. But seasons vary. I wouldn't be the least surprised to see big hoo and lot's of them, especialy this season at this time. I would think pressure would not be as hard on some spots that might get overlooked by boats heading to HB/CI or putting in the time at the lower banks.

The Excel has a 9 day coming up, I wouldn't be surprised to see them slay hoo & YT. ... Some big tuna wouldn't be out of the norm either for Justin though. I'm sure HB/CI is out of reach for a 9er.

If I could go on that trip right now I would totally be there, especially with the 10% discount they're still offering.

Good point, "variety" fishing might be the best bet this season for those who don't want to hunt cows. Couldn't go now if i wanted to so I'll wait and see how the Excel does.

Andy Smith

Dec 28, 2008
Santa Barbara, Ca.
Name
Andy
Boat
22 Radon " Silence"
Has anyone heard how JJ on the Apollo did on thier 5 Day out of Mag Bay? Cal of 2 speed fame is on the trip.

Kent Vansooy

Nov 8, 2007
Oceanside
Name
Kent
Boat
none
Just got off the Intrepid yesterday morning, and we had a wonderful "variety" trip - BIG dropper-loop yellows, grouper, pargo, amberjack, wide-open dorado, and around 50 YFT in the 75 to 135 range. I was hoping to hear we'd be heading to the buffer zone, but Capt Mike made the right calls, and we ended up with a really nice trip.

JSR

Sep 5, 2005
Irvine
Name
John
Boat
n/a
Just got off the RS
will muster up a report here soon

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Just his morning spoke with an angler who got off the Angler yesterday. They only had 4 Wahoo, all on the troll. they finihsed up wisth some yankin' and crankin' on some small Yellowfin. Everybody got to catch all they wanted, but not much size to them. Good eatin' but not why we book these longer trips. Then they finished up on the beach catching yellows.

Here's how Brian Kiyohara described it:

"After spending several days in search of cows, we moved up the line to just fish. Alot of the lower banks involves looking for mammals, so we spent three days constantly on the move. Our last day which was definitely the best we sat on the anchor all day but half the group never got a bite. Today we put the anchor down and started scratching small tuna and the longer we sat the better it got. It was never wide open - but it was plenty good enough for everybody to cast a bait out and get bites and land a few fish. For those of you at home watching the reports and wondering about fresh fish, there is going to be plenty of premium grade sashimi available.

Laughing And Having A Good Time"

Next day:

"We started out on the beach looking for yellows at their last known location. Unfortunately fish have tails and they swim around and they were nowhere to be seen so we had to go into search mode. Finally at hot spot number four, we found a decent ball of fish and had steady yo yo action. When it slowed down, we started up the line thinking that finding another productive area would not be a problem. We ended touring the coast as most of the usual haunts were dry. Just about the time when it looked like the day was over we ran over a good sized sonar school and we were busy as the sun was going down.
Even our experienced big fish anglers were all smiles as many said that they had forgotten how fun yellowtail fishing can be."

Been there, done that. A brutally slow trip for me in '07. It was a welcome relief when we stopped on the way home to fish up a few Rockfish and Lings for lunch and then whacked some Yellows, too. When life serves up small tuna, make Sashimi! Here's a shot of me and Jimal with a couple of those Yellows and some smiles. Quite a change from fishing the 100-130 lb gear to grab the 40-50 lb outfits. Like Ultralight!

Attachments

Latest posts