2006 Parker 2520 'Dawn Patrol' 10 Year Transformation

capt. kirk

Jul 7, 2005
san diego
Name
kirk
Boat
parker 2520
My boat partner Alan and I purchased the Dawn Patrol about 8 years ago. At that time we were running around in a 23' Parker center console. Loved that boat, but we had experienced enough wet days to finally make the move to a cabined vessel. We decided to stay with Parker and one day saw a posting on Bloody Deck Classified for a 2520SL. It was located about 100 miles away in the High Desert area, so we decided to drive up and take a look. On our way home we were delighted to be towing our new boat. The original owner had the boat for two years and only used it a couple of times. An injury forced him to sell. The engine had less that 60 hours on it. The first thing I noticed about this boat was the fishing room. It was huge compared to the 23 footer.

It came with a nice offshore bait tank and a Raymarine E-80 unit. It did not have a tower.

So the first thing we did was to have a tower fabricated and installed. We met a fabricator at a booth at the Fred Hall Show at Del Mar Show and we cut a deal. Then about 4 years later I installed an autopilot.

Well that was about the extent of our additions. We fished it that way until this year.

This is what she looked like during a fueling last year.

Boat fuel copy.jpg

For the first four years we trailered the boat. That got old (kinda like us) real fast. We finally decided that a slip was in order. We looked at both Mission and San Diego Bays. and made the decision that Harbor Island West was where she would live. One of the best moves we have made to date.

We decided that this winter we would install new electronics. Our Raymarine unit still worked (except for the stupid temperature gauge which new was worth a darn). But the unit was now ten years old. New technology was light years ahead of that unit.

So as long as we were pulling the boat out of the slip, I figured I would do a "few" more projects while it was high and dry.

That word "few" ended up growing like a wildfire.

I was on a mission, and for those who know me, it means going all out..

So the last week of January we pulled the boat out of the slip. Our first stop was a short run over to Mission Bay to have Robby at Boating Dynamics service the outboard. We have never fudged on engine maintenance. Although I think I have enough ability to do a lot of it myself, it is one area that I have decided to leave to the professionals.

A week later we moved the boat to Alans house in La Mesa.

The first order of business was to recoat the hulls bottom paint. When we first put the boat in the slip, we had it professionally painted. It is very important to get the first coat on right and to have the waterline mark at the right level.

But after that first painting it is just a matter of labor. It is a nasty job, and even nastier it you decide to do it with the boat still on the trailer. We borrowed a set of boat stands from a friend and got to work.

Boat stands_resized.jpg

We lifted the boat about 3" off the trailer beds and started the wonderful task of sanding the old paint. Not a job for the claustrophobic. It was tight under there. A good respirator is a must, along with eye protection.

After the sanding we taped off the waterline, washed the hull and got to painting...

bottom paint tape.jpg

bottom paint done bottom.jpg

This was the paint we used..

bottom paint can.jpg

There would still be some areas to paint over, and were would address that after some holes were patched and the new transducers were installed. But the hard and nasty part was done... thank goodness.

My next order of business was to address the hull. It had been a long El Nino season, and it was apparent that we were doing a terrible job of maintaining the gel coat. It is kinda out of sight, out of mind type of thing. When we would get done fishing, were would scrub the inside of the boat, but just do a cursory brushing of the hull. In addition, there were those incidents were you kinda take a bit of the tire rubber with you from the bait barge and cut the boat a bit close when docking. When I saw the hull sitting on the trailer I was a bit ashamed. I always thought that we kept excellent care of the boat. This was a wakeup call.....

boat side dirty1.jpg

I felt like an irresponsible parent. Besides the smudges, the gel coat had lost all its sheen. This was not just a matter of a light rub down. There was some work to be done here..

Now I do not mind a little elbow grease, but I know they make power tools to help with this. So I purchased a somewhat inexpensive polisher/buffer, along with some fun accessories....

buffer.jpg

Now to find a product to help bring back that new boat luster..

This is what I ended up using..

rubbing compound.jpg

Never have used a buffer, but it was not that difficult. Just a matter of taking your time and doing a small area at a time. Washed the hull and lightly wiped it down with Acetone and got to buffing. Going over every square inch of the hull I did notice a few dings and scratches in the gel coat. Maybe a wayward gaff job or who knows what..

hull scratch.jpg

I would address these areas later. I had never done gel coat repair, but I was willing to try.

It would turn out that I did a lot of things on the renovation that I had never done before. I like that..

The buffer and cutting compound did a great job. Could not wait to get a coat of wax on it to see it really shine.
This is the end result of the buffing...

boat side after cut11.jpg

boat side after cut1.jpg

I was starting to get anxious to do some work on the inside of the boat. After all, that is where I spend all my time.

Our light had burned out in the bait tank. Since we were going to pull it, we figured we may as well repipe it while
it was removed. I pulled the four screws at the base of the tank and carefully laid it down.

Holy Crap!!

bait tank dirty lean.jpg

To be continued........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Bummer that I can't see any of the pictures....probably on my end

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I was hoping to see them as well, but I can't view them either??

Speaking of pics, I just noticed about two days ago that I was unable to view or look for pics from different members. I never checked any further, and after seeing this thread and no pics showing up in this guys thread, I decided to check on my own profile and see if my gallery was still around since I could not locate anyone elses, and I now come to find that I can't locate any of mine as well?????

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
That is weird the pictures were working earlier, but now I cannot see them either.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
That is weird the pictures were working earlier, but now I cannot see them either.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing. I know Jason has been busting his balls with all kinds of gremlins within the site for quite a while now, so hopefully it all gets ironed out, because I just noticed that nobody has a BD photo gallery that can be viewed or referenced anymore? :(

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

capt. kirk

Jul 7, 2005
san diego
Name
kirk
Boat
parker 2520
It is on my end. The pictures were duplicating so I tried to get rid of the duplicates. Looks like I
got rid of them all. When I tried to edit it would not let me reimport. I will try to figure it out or just start a new thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

capt. kirk

Jul 7, 2005
san diego
Name
kirk
Boat
parker 2520
Well it was obvious that there was water getting under the tank somehow. It was quite the science project. Nice clumps of gooey mold had the perfect growing conditions...

bait tank dirty bottom4.jpg

There were basically two ways the water could be getting under there. Either there was a leak in the tank or the plumbing to the tank, or it was getting through the caulk between the bottom of the tank and the deck. We had the tank off one other time to replace another light, so I am thinking that the caulking job was not best. Both water lines were double clamped and a visual inspection did not show a damaged tank.

under bait tank old connection.jpg

That does not mean there was not a leak, and I will plug the water inlet and outlet and fill the tank just to be sure before I reinstall it.

Another thing of interest was just how the tank sat on the deck. Either the deck or the bait tank is not level. There are areas where it sits on the deck, then other areas with some larger gaps. I will have to make sure to have plenty of caulk in those gaps.

So now it was time to remove the water lines and try to do something about all that mold..

bait tank dirty crud.jpg

And to think I was under the impression that we maintained a very clean boat. But to my defense, I saw no visual signs of this problem. I guess my past caulking job was just good enough to let water in but keep it well hidden.

I scrapped up all the clumps of mold and then paper toweled up as much as I could. So what kind of mold was this?? I will never know. I never got sick, so I guess it was not that bad.

Then I rinsed all the mold that I could with a hose and tried to clean up as much as I could from on top of the fuel tank. I mixed up a nice paste with water and ajax and applied it over the whole area.

bait tank ajax bath.jpg

Pulled the old water lines and let it set a few days.

The bottom of the tank was also very moldy..

bait tank upside down726.jpg

I cleaned it up a bit and applied some more of the ajax paste to soak for a few days..

bait tank upsidedown wide.jpg

Since I was cleaning around the gas tank, I gave the screws on the gas line hose clamps a few turns to make sure they were tight.

After a few days I applied a fair amount of elbow grease to get out the final mold from under the tank.and cleaned up the remaining mold. I pulled new waterlines and got rid of the moldy old ones.

It cleaned up pretty good.

bait tank water lines new.jpg

I also ran new electrical wires for the bait tank light. Nothing really wrong with the old wires, but why not put in new ones. I was adding a new bait pump switch anyways. Once again, the old one worked, but was showing a few signs of wear.

bait pump switch old .jpg

We have the bait tank switch in the port battery compartment. I like it there instead of the fuse panel in the cabin because I am always afraid someone will accidentally flip it off. I never go into that compartment unless I am turning on or off the bait pump.

Speaking about battery compartments, the batteries were due for replacement. These had been in the boat for just about 5 years, but were showing no signs of aging, but I like to keep fresh batteries in the boat. Also, the battery compartments were pretty dirty. There is that word again.

battery compartment dirty inside.jpg

Port battery compartment dirty1.jpg

So what kind of space age batteries do we use..

battery1.jpg

Good ole' Walmart EverStart Marine. Never had even a hiccup with these batteries. Cannot beat success at a good price.

The battery compartments are now very clean. I would take a picture but I have them taped off right now. Will post some later.

Well I was having to much fun scrubbing things so I decided to change it up a bit and address our decals. They have taken a beating during the ten years, and it was time for a fresh set...

decal dp close before.jpg

Decals are next....

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

KNOT HOME

Fuel User
Nov 5, 2010
Ventura, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
Parker 2310 - "Knot Home"
Did you already reinstall your bait tank?

If not, you may want to think about raising the area around where your water lines come up thru the deck....It can be as simple as epoxy gluing another aceess hatch right on top of the existing one.... Now you only have about 1/8"... As you can see if water leaks at all in there it can get on your gas tank.....I only say this because I replaced my tank in my 2310..... Its a costly venture to remove the deck..... Just trying to help you if you havent already installed the tank and caulked it already......

You boat looks killer though! Youre doing a great job

Reactions: tanner.s and 45king
Upvote 0

PACIFICPUNISHER

Biscuit Buster
Sep 4, 2009
So Cal
Name
Moondog
Boat
PARKER 2320 "HOTLINE"
Have you checked the coupler on the inlet side of the tank? From looking at the pic it looks like that's where it may be leaking from. Imo That deposit build up around that fitting are signs of a leak.

Reactions: Walker Inc.
Upvote 0

capt. kirk

Jul 7, 2005
san diego
Name
kirk
Boat
parker 2520
Well I was well into taping off the deck for new nonskid when I came down with a nasty cold/flu combination. Kinda put a halt to operations, and also this thread.

After about 11 days of feeling miserable I am finally back at it.

I have not put the tank back on yet. I will be replumbing all the fittings just to be safe. Thanks for your suggestions...

So as mentioned, the decals on the boat had taken a beating. I began to remove every one of them, including those on engine cowling. Our engine paint had faded so my original plan was to remove all the decals and try to buff the paint out and restore the shine.

After researching just how to remove decals from a boat I ended up using a blow drier to heat up the glue and peel them off..

blow dry decal.jpg

decal blower.jpg

Some decals came off easier than others. The ones on the engine cowling were especially tough. It was like they had become one with the paint over the years. I heated and heated this decal, but only the white letters and numbers would come off.

cowling decal old rear1.jpg

The lettering was not as bad, but a few of them were very stubborn. in this picture you can see just how much glue
remained after removing the decal below the Yamaha lettering.

cowling decal old rear7.jpg

I was starting to think that the whole cowling would have to be sanded. Then it would most likely have to be repainted. I have done a lot of painting in my day, but not automotive type stuff. The final straw was when I pulled off the second "A" on this side. The cowling paint came off with the decal.

Luckily my partner knew a guy that ran a Chevy dealers paint department. I gladly passed this chore on to a professional. They prepped the cowling and put on a couple coats of paint and clear coat and even installed the new decals.

I was really interested to see just how it would turn out. I was pleasantly surprised. It looked like a brand new cowling... not to mention we got a great deal......less that $300.00.

cowling paint new1.jpg

cowling paint new.jpg

We made another investment to help maintain this great paint job..

engine cover.jpg

I removed the Dawn Patrol decal, and in this picture you can see just how much of the glue remained. I used some "GooOff' and a razor to remove the rest of the glue. Lots of elbow grease once again..

decal dp half off.jpg

So after getting all the old decals off of the boat and buffing all the gel coat we were ready to put the new decals on. We did changed up the colors a bit on the pin striping. We also made the Dawn Patrol decal a bit larger and changed the font a bit to make the letters a little taller.

decals being put on.jpg

The results..

decal parker raised new.jpg

decal dawn patrol new.jpg

The old 'Dawn Patrol' decals held up very nicely as far as durability. Not a scratch on them. But they did fade a lot over the 8 years they were on the boat. The one on the starboard side faded much more. Have not figured that one out yet. They get the same amount of sun at the marina. Hummmm

dp decal old and new.jpg

The Parker decals look much better now..

decal parker new.jpg

Even the bait tank got new decals...

bait tank decals.jpg

So next up was the long awaited and much research new electronics. This renovation was just starting to get exciting...

old-new radar.jpg

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    What a great read! Thank you for the tremendous detail. I have a feeling my bait tank is in similar need of love and I'll use this thread as a template!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

capt. kirk

Jul 7, 2005
    san diego
    Name
    kirk
    Boat
    parker 2520
    So the day finally arrived when we get to install the new electronics. We finally decided to go with the Simrad Evo2 NSS12 with 4G radar and structure scan. We also upgraded our Raymarine S1000 autopilot to Simrads autopilot. I was not very happy with the Raymarine autopilot, so I am anxious to see how the Simrad autopilot performs.

We were going to be installing two transducers. The up and down transducer and the structure scan transducer..

transducers.jpg

First order of business was to remove the old tansducer and fairing block.

bilge before close copy.jpg

The nut over the old transducer was a bear to remove. It was really frozen on. It took about 50 good wacks with a sledged and chisel to loosen it. After that the fairing block came off no problem.

We needed to drill a larger hole for the new transducer, so a temporary plug was used to allow the hole saw bit to bite.

hole saw plug copy.jpg

After drilling the proper size hole we loaded up some 4200 and set it in. Perfect fit...

transducer round hold install.jpg

I would still need to repair the hole in the hull where the antirotation screw was from the old transducer. I also had another hole in the transom where a temperature transducer wire was removed. Both repairs would be under the water line, so I had some research to do...

We then drilled the holes for the structure scan transducer and installed it too..

set side scan transducer2.jpg

set side scan transducer1.jpg

Now time to set the display. This was the old Raymrine E80 unit.

electronice old ray marine3.jpg

We positioned the template for the new display...

electronics cutout close1.jpg

and then made the cutout..

electronics cut out1.jpg

So close to getting it in...

electronics simrad hold up to dash.jpg

And finally success... and power to boot!

simrad first turn on.jpg

We still had lots detail work to do including wire runs and the like, but the unit was basically in. After we get back in the water we will spend a couple of hours calibrating and dialing the unit in.

Now that I was finally working in the wheelhouse, it was time to do something about those pitting aluminum windows...

window pitting1.jpg

Upvote 0

Fishingguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 15, 2007
    Orange County
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    Parker
    Such a great read! I have a parker too and curious what you plan to do with the pitting aluminum windows as mine has it as well.

Upvote 0

capt. kirk

Jul 7, 2005
    san diego
    Name
    kirk
    Boat
    parker 2520
    I wish that I knew to use salt off and spend more time maintaining the insides of the aluminum windows. I had no idea that they would pit so bad. I had thoughts about doing all new windows, but maybe another day.

I figured that I could sand them down a bit, and then prime and paint them.

Upon taking off all of the hardware that I could, I noticed lots of salt build up. A couple of screws were completely frozen and I had to work around the handles.

whellhouse windows before primer4.jpg

whellhouse windows before primer3.jpg

window side salt buildup1.jpg

I cleaned up all the salt and buildup and sanded to prepare the surface for primer.
    Then I taped off all the windows..

whellhouse windows before primer.jpg

Then I applied two coats of primer.

wheelhouse primer.jpg

wheelhouse primer1.jpg

This was followed by two coat of black paint..

black paint with maskoff.jpg

black paint with maskoff1.jpg

They actually turned out pretty good. Much better than before..

black paint front windows.jpg

paint front windows.jpg

Things were starting to shape up, but there was still a lot to do..

It was time to address the stained wood trim in the cabin..

wood stained a feet1.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: sbsurfer
    Upvote 0

hardrider5

Master
    Sep 4, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Parker 2520
    My boat partner Alan and I purchased the Dawn Patrol about 8 years ago. At that time we were running around in a 23' Parker center console. Loved that boat, but we had experienced enough wet days to finally make the move to a cabined vessel. We decided to stay with Parker and one day saw a posting on Bloody Deck Classified for a 2520SL. It was located about 100 miles away in the High Desert area, so we decided to drive up and take a look. On our way home we were delighted to be towing our new boat. The original owner had the boat for two years and only used it a couple of times. An injury forced him to sell. The engine had less that 60 hours on it. The first thing I noticed about this boat was the fishing room. It was huge compared to the 23 footer.

It came with a nice offshore bait tank and a Raymarine E-80 unit. It did not have a tower.

So the first thing we did was to have a tower fabricated and installed. We met a fabricator at a booth at the Fred Hall Show at Del Mar Show and we cut a deal. Then about 4 years later I installed an autopilot.

Well that was about the extent of our additions. We fished it that way until this year.

This is what she looked like during a fueling last year.

View attachment 755803

For the first four years we trailered the boat. That got old (kinda like us) real fast. We finally decided that a slip was in order. We looked at both Mission and San Diego Bays. and made the decision that Harbor Island West was where she would live. One of the best moves we have made to date.

We decided that this winter we would install new electronics. Our Raymarine unit still worked (except for the stupid temperature gauge which new was worth a darn). But the unit was now ten years old. New technology was light years ahead of that unit.

So as long as we were pulling the boat out of the slip, I figured I would do a "few" more projects while it was high and dry.

That word "few" ended up growing like a wildfire.

I was on a mission, and for those who know me, it means going all out..

So the last week of January we pulled the boat out of the slip. Our first stop was a short run over to Mission Bay to have Robby at Boating Dynamics service the outboard. We have never fudged on engine maintenance. Although I think I have enough ability to do a lot of it myself, it is one area that I have decided to leave to the professionals.

A week later we moved the boat to Alans house in La Mesa.

The first order of business was to recoat the hulls bottom paint. When we first put the boat in the slip, we had it professionally painted. It is very important to get the first coat on right and to have the waterline mark at the right level.

But after that first painting it is just a matter of labor. It is a nasty job, and even nastier it you decide to do it with the boat still on the trailer. We borrowed a set of boat stands from a friend and got to work.

View attachment 755804

We lifted the boat about 3" off the trailer beds and started the wonderful task of sanding the old paint. Not a job for the claustrophobic. It was tight under there. A good respirator is a must, along with eye protection.

After the sanding we taped off the waterline, washed the hull and got to painting...

View attachment 755806

View attachment 755807

This was the paint we used..

View attachment 755805

There would still be some areas to paint over, and were would address that after some holes were patched and the new transducers were installed. But the hard and nasty part was done... thank goodness.

My next order of business was to address the hull. It had been a long El Nino season, and it was apparent that we were doing a terrible job of maintaining the gel coat. It is kinda out of sight, out of mind type of thing. When we would get done fishing, were would scrub the inside of the boat, but just do a cursory brushing of the hull. In addition, there were those incidents were you kinda take a bit of the tire rubber with you from the bait barge and cut the boat a bit close when docking. When I saw the hull sitting on the trailer I was a bit ashamed. I always thought that we kept excellent care of the boat. This was a wakeup call.....

View attachment 755808

I felt like an irresponsible parent. Besides the smudges, the gel coat had lost all its sheen. This was not just a matter of a light rub down. There was some work to be done here..

Now I do not mind a little elbow grease, but I know they make power tools to help with this. So I purchased a somewhat inexpensive polisher/buffer, along with some fun accessories....

View attachment 755809

Now to find a product to help bring back that new boat luster..

This is what I ended up using..

View attachment 755810

Never have used a buffer, but it was not that difficult. Just a matter of taking your time and doing a small area at a time. Washed the hull and lightly wiped it down with Acetone and got to buffing. Going over every square inch of the hull I did notice a few dings and scratches in the gel coat. Maybe a wayward gaff job or who knows what..

View attachment 755811

I would address these areas later. I had never done gel coat repair, but I was willing to try.

It would turn out that I did a lot of things on the renovation that I had never done before. I like that..

The buffer and cutting compound did a great job. Could not wait to get a coat of wax on it to see it really shine.
    This is the end result of the buffing...

View attachment 755812

View attachment 755813

I was starting to get anxious to do some work on the inside of the boat. After all, that is where I spend all my time.

Our light had burned out in the bait tank. Since we were going to pull it, we figured we may as well repipe it while
    it was removed. I pulled the four screws at the base of the tank and carefully laid it down.

Holy Crap!!

View attachment 755814

To be continued........

Excellant Read. Keep it coming.

Upvote 0