mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
Im having issues with my motor, once I get to about 2700-2800rpms it starts to pop and misfire. It started doing it for a few seconds then it would run just fine. Now it does it every time. I have hooked it up to a scanner and it does not activate any codes. The rpms will jump +/- 500rpms on its own. I have also noticed that the cam retard angle will go from 46 to 66 to 81 when it starts to act up. The entire motor has been rebuilt, heads rebuilt, everything on it is new except the distributor itself, crank sensor, map sensor and TP sensor. Another thing I notice is that in order to set the cam retard angle I need to rotate the distributor quite a bit and it no we’re near parallel to the intake housing. If I skip a tooth and go the other way the spark plug wire hits the intake housing and won’t let me set the correct cam retard angle. Anyone with the flat top distributor mind looking to see how parallel it is set on your motor and letting me know. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    1.Check for moisture in your distributor
    2.Possible low fuel pressure.
    Did you check for engine diagnostic codes?

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
    Mar 25, 2006
    Pomona, CA
    Name
    Paco
    Boat
    1.Check for moisture in your distributor
    2.Possible low fuel pressure.
    Did you check for engine diagnostic codes?
    Fuel pressure is 62psi at rail at 2700rpm
    There is no codes that come up.
    cap and rotor are new. I’m thinking of replacing the actual distributor.

Upvote 0

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22'
    Has it ever run well after the rebuild? If not, (here is a wild ass guess), you may have to check if the timing belt was installed correctly. Your crank/cam could be off a tooth, or more.

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
    Mar 25, 2006
    Pomona, CA
    Name
    Paco
    Boat
    It ran fine at first then started to act up. It would misfire for a bit then run fine. When I’d back off the throttle and speed back up if would do the same thing.

Upvote 0

willyok

Apr 10, 2012
    San diego, CA
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    Replace the cap and rotor again. Double check all spark plugs for cracks in the porcelain.

is it an MPI? Did you have the injectors flow tested?

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
    Mar 25, 2006
    Pomona, CA
    Name
    Paco
    Boat
    Yes had injectors cleaned and tested. They all have the same flow rate, amount and pattern.

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    X2 on cap and rotor. I always carry a spare they get a lil moisture and act up... I have a 5.7 gsi...another thought is to check and see if your vst is clean

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    You may have a problem with the Hall Effect sensor in the distributor, this is why the cam angle is wonky. The shutter wheel allows the PCM to identify when cylinder #1 fires relative to the crank shaft reluctor wheel signal. I would replace the entire distributor.

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
    Mar 25, 2006
    Pomona, CA
    Name
    Paco
    Boat
    Ok so I found the problem, the crank position sensor had a small crack in it. Replaced the sensor, the distributor and the TPS also. I tested the motor in the drive way and sound beautiful. I’ll be heading out tonight again and make the crossing to SCI. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: zing1402
    Upvote 0

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    Ok so I found the problem, the crank position sensor had a small crack in it. Replaced the sensor, the distributor and the TPS also. I tested the motor in the drive way and sound beautiful. I’ll be heading out tonight again and make the crossing to SCI. Thanks for the help.
    Have you seen the weather?

Reactions: mrfishcado
    Upvote 0