2005 Davis 25' Bahia - Half Cabin Pilothouse with Rebuilt Diesel KAD43 (0 hours)

Big Bay Yachts

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
Boat is sold.

New baby and a 2nd one planned, COVID-19, job losses, no small business support for chartering, etc, etc. It's been the year from hell and I'm going to have to sell my boat, already closed my business, and am back working in accounting for a few years. Praying to rebuild this dream again in the future.

This is THE boat for Southern California in my opinion and the ride is unbeatable. The Radon style hull is specially designed for California as the majority of your fishing days will be heading downswell in short, nasty windswell in the afternoons.

Caught everything but a swordfish on her last year. See my instagram @MasonStoller

This boat does it all and I have never had more confidence on the water in any other skiff or sportfisher for that matter.

Extremely stable on anchor (GPS trolling motor!) or drift with the Radon style hull. Can bass fish 10' off the Long Beach wall at night with the handlheld remote and walkaround skiff for casting, or chase big bluefin at the Cortez or Mushroom banks..

I purchased the boat with 486 hours, PERFECT condition gelcoat, interior, all the fiberglass, just immaculate, as the original owner kept it in a warehouse and used it 1-3x per year due to health and age. When I started running the boat last year, small issues popped up like water pump, diesel lifter pump and 1 injector. Trying to run a full-time charter business does not work well with the time you have to WAIT for Volvo Penta parts during peak season...

So I had Harold do a rebuild on the motor this year to ensure that I could run 24/7, with confidence, all season long.

Now it has sat for a few weeks as I've mulled over some life decisions and I haven't even gone fishing on it because I'm so pissed off.

2005 Davis Bahia - Half Cabin Pilothouse 928 hours total (less than 10 hours on KAD 43 rebuild)

This boat is hand built in Paso Robles California by Harold Davis and maintained/serviced at Harold's shop in Paso Robles.

Features:
- 25' full walk around custom built commercial grade Radon
- Half Cabin pilothouse
- Diamond grid cut fiberglass decking, custom "kick" spring hatch latches, and other beautiful hand built fiberglass work
- West Coast bow rail with toe rails
- Offshore Tower with bench seat and T-top
- 2 piece Precision Offshore Outriggers
- 112lb Minn Kota Riptide - GPS Trolling Motor with hand held remote, spotlock, and under warranty until 2021
- Custom stainless rocket launchers, roof ladder, and more
- Marine head (perfect condition, rarely used, new pumps and plumbing last year for my clients)
- Removable rear jump seats (need new cushions, I can recover for cheap if you want)
- Full eisenglass enclosure (creates full pilothouse)
- 32 gal bait tank on swim step plus 2 transom bait tanks about 10 gallons each on both sides
- Huge in-deck fish holds with macerator pumps
- Full size in-deck cooler with bilge pump (this is located below driver/passenger feet)

Electronics:
- Raymarine C125 (have new in box C127 for new owner to install)
- Autopilot and Radar equipped
- VHF and Handheld VHF included
- Bluetooth APP equipped CD player
- Deck lights
- Gunnel and floor lighting
- Cabin lights
- Large Trim tabs
- Include hand held EPIRB USCG registration
- All wiring is super clean and hidden up in the cabin, no mold, no water intrustion, no issues.

Engine:
- Volvo Penta KAD 43 Diesel (has a single turbo and supercharger)
- 230HP with tons of torque
- Harold did a full rebuild starting in December of 2019, we kept the same rotating assembly - crank/pistons but cleaned, bored, and re-sealed everything. Just the motor had such low hours the internals looked excellent.
- Cylinder head rebuilt, new valves, springs, port/polished, etc
- All new fuel injectors and pumps
- Water pumps, heat exchange, and more
- Too much to list but have all receipts

200 Gallon Fuel Tank
- Average about 3 - 3.5 mpg depending on conditions and weight
- Made a lot of runs to SCI this past season with 4 guys, 150lbs of ice, shit tons of gear, and majority of time 1 to 3 big bluefin sitting in the box. Those trips I'd average 3 mpg no matter what the conditions were running 22 knots there and back.

Outdrive:
- Volvo DP-H duo prop outdrive with 928 hours
- Stainless steel C3 props recommended by Harold for best power/economy
- Fully serviced with all bushings, bearings, and seals replaced when getting motor rebuilt
- Hub and prop resealed, cleaned, greased up for season

Trailer:
- Custom Pacific triple axle with dual surge brakes
- Brakes, hubs, bunks replaced by Wayne at West Coast Trailers June 2019
- New trailer jack a few months back

Known issues:
- Failed steering pump, I was running the boat manually last year as Volvo did not have any steering pumps in stock at that time. Everything still works great but the wheel is slightly stiffer to turn then before.

Harold Davis has informed me that the pumps *will* be available from Volvo this summer or fall.

This boat is extremely clean and a labor of love, it's been difficult for me to make this post and sell her.

I didn't pay for wax or even a wash, pulled off the cover, sprayed her with the hose and snapped pics. This is how clean I keep my rig to fish year round.

I will offer all help and any of my boat/fishing knowledge to help the new owner be successful fishing inshore, offshore, and at any of our islands. Will include GPS spots as well.

Davis-1.jpg

Davis-2.jpg

Davis-3.jpg

Davis-4.jpg

Davis-5.jpg

Davis-6.jpg

Davis-7.jpg

Davis-8.jpg

Davis-9.jpg

Davis-10.jpg

Davis-11.jpg

Davis-12.jpg

Davis-13.jpg

Davis-14.jpg

Davis-15.jpg

Davis-16.jpg

Davis-17.jpg

Davis-18.jpg

Davis-19.jpg

Davis-20.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sfjakey

Jun 3, 2009
Novato, Ca
Name
Bob Postel
Boat
Davis Rock Harbor Short Cabin "Full Box"
Beautiful. I miss my Bahia. GLWS, great deal on the closest thing you can find to a new Davis

Reactions: FlyHabits
Upvote 0

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
I seriously wish this thing was in my budget. Epic boat. Sorry to hear about hard times brother.
2020 really sucks, but still plenty to be grateful for.

This boat is crazy fishy whether you are in tight off the island or chasing foamers offshore.

Also caught the first Pacific Bluefin Tuna on the fly IN California waters off the 289 last year. 44.2lbs on 20lb test tippet

2 (Starboard and Port) In-deck, insulated fish boxes with macerator pump - they are just over 6' long and 2' deep. Keep your ice cold in a kill bag, catch fish, bleed and gut in the kill boxes before cleaning with raw water and then adding ice!!

Eisenglass picture below - the 3 piece eisenglass makes it a full pilothouse to maximize comfort. Warm and dry, no need for slickers or fleece, just jeans or boardshorts most of the year in SoCal.

BluefinFly1.jpg

Deckbox-1.jpg

Eisenglass.jpg

Upvote 0

Zblue

Feb 2, 2012
Pine Mountain Club, CA
Name
Zach
Boat
Soon...
BFT on the fly! Badass. One thing I have always wondered about these Davis is that the Bait tank always seems to be on the swim step. Can you mount a proper 2 scoop tank in the cockpit? Or is there no space etc?

Upvote 0

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
BFT on the fly! Badass. One thing I have always wondered about these Davis is that the Bait tank always seems to be on the swim step. Can you mount a proper 2 scoop tank in the cockpit? Or is there no space etc?
There are also 2 custom transom livewells built into the boat - port and starboard you can see those hatches that are maybe @ 8-10 gallons each?

Some guys put a big 60-90 gallon tank on top of that deck hatch (access to fuel tank/fuel pump and lines) You can hinge it or just remove when you need access.

My plan was to upgrade the swimstep tank to a 48 gallon from Mark Wisch at Pacific Edge. He's done great work for me and his tanks keep bait TOP notch.

I love having the transom side tanks because it makes it REALLY easy to carry two types of bait. I especially enjoy loading the main tank with live squid and keeping a dozen macks in each side tank for the island..

There's plenty of room, the deck is massive on the 25. Easily fishes 4 guys off the rear.

Deck.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. Tunanator

Tuna Killer
May 26, 2016
Oxnard
Name
Jeff
Boat
25' Seacraft "Sancha", Mastercraft Barefoot 200, Achilles SG 124, Achilles LT4
Washed down next to this boat at SA and this thing is absolutely beautiful. Boat has been meticulously cared for and the seller is a straight forward honest guy. Worth every penny and you won’t find a better boat for our waters hands down. Sorry to hear about all the BS going on but enjoy those little ones while you can. GLWTS

Upvote 0

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
One more question, how many gallons is the fuel tank and what the boats range conservatively?

Sorry forgot to add this.

Boat has a 200 gallon fuel tank and max range of 550 to 600 miles I would guess.

Upvote 0

Stormi

Jun 20, 2015
Name
Oliver
Boat
Triumph 235
Do you have any more info or perhaps pictures of the electronics on the boat. Total weight including traller. Lenghts of boat and trailer. Looks like you used an F150 to pull the boat.
Beautifull

Upvote 0

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
Do you have any more info or perhaps pictures of the electronics on the boat. Total weight including traller. Lenghts of boat and trailer. Looks like you used an F150 to pull the boat.
Beautifull
Have requests for a handful of pictures - I'll stop by and uncover the boat tomorrow, will add pics by tomorrow afternoon.

Boat and trailer fully loaded is around 9-10,000lbs depending on how much ice/fuel.

My F150 with 3.6L EcoBoost and a set of airbags pulls it no problem and I've trailered the boat to San Diego and Paso Robles many, many times. Pulls excellent.

They are the original 2005 electronics, Airmar 1000w transducer, C120 Raymarine, ST-6001. But I have a new C127 from Raymarine in the box that I'll also give to the new owner. All electronics work great, but 2020 electronics offer ton of new bells and whistles of course.

Raymarine-New.jpg

Upvote 0

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
Beautifull

Boat is 25' class: LOA about 28', trailer just about 30', if you need exact measurements I could take them for a buyer.

Attached a quick picture of the bilge and inside shots of the electronics cabin (2 locks for security).

The pilothouse fiberglass, inside and out is in excellent condition.

My plan for the electronics was to add the new Raymarine C-127 and keep the older C-120 to use strictly for radar. Plenty of room for 2 screens and I greatly prefer the second for safety while running in fog and/or at night.

BilgeShot.jpg

Inside-1.jpg

Inside-2.jpg

Inside-3.jpg

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Amazingly clean boat...what a setup! Sorry to hear about the reason to sell, hope you get back at this dream sooner than later. Someone will score with this rig for sure

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I saw a 22 davis in huntington harbor that had twin 45 gallon or so bait tanks underneath the captain and passenger seats. They fixed the swim step issue.

Upvote 0

FlyHabits

Corbina Addict
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Mason
Boat
Edgewater 225cc
I saw a 22 davis in huntington harbor that had twin 45 gallon or so bait tanks underneath the captain and passenger seats. They fixed the swim step issue.
My buddy Glenn's Cortez, he sold it a few years ago - that thing was insanely clean and killed a silly number of white seabass.

His 2 bait tanks are located where the back jump seats are and he had a cushion for them so you could sit on top of either tank if you wanted. Bait held extremely well and I think they were 38 gallon tanks.

Reactions: makairaa
Upvote 0

Fully Rigged

Nov 19, 2011
Redondo Beach
Name
Scotty
Boat
Killin' Time
Mason, your boat is insane and I'm sure it will go quick. These boats are incredibly well built and the support from Harold is unheard of. Someone is going to be stoked! I bought Glenn's Cortez, bait tanks are where the storage under the seats normally are with the captain and passengers seats on top. The front seat support mounts in front of the tank and back support to the tank itself. Harold came up with the design when Glenn commissioned the boat and I'm sure could assist any buyer if they were interested. Good luck with the sale!

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
My buddy Glenn's Cortez, he sold it a few years ago - that thing was insanely clean and killed a silly number of white seabass.

His 2 bait tanks are located where the back jump seats are and he had a cushion for them so you could sit on top of either tank if you wanted. Bait held extremely well and I think they were 38 gallon tanks.
Best Cortez version I ever saw. I want to say they were custom offshore product bait tanks.

Upvote 0