Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Owen
Boat Name
Hobie Outback
Hey All,
I've been absent for a long time, making a return!
My coworker has a 2001 Parker 2520 powered with twin 115 hp Yamaha 4 strokes. I went on it many times throughout the years. It is underpowered but it gets the job done. Motors have pretty low hours (not 100% sure how many yet.)
Anyways, it's been unused for three years now and he has offered to sell it to me for what seems to be a steal. His buddy bought it new and they passed it down from friend to friend. It's slipped but he has kept up with the monthly bottom cleanings. It needs new electronics, a good cleaning, I'm sure a major service as it's been sitting for 3 years. Obviously not a lot of info, but can anyone help me with a value? Has a nice bait tank and was in decent shape the last time I saw it.
Thanks for your feedback!

Upvote 0

ocurtis

Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Owen
Boat Name
Hobie Outback
It ran perfectly when parked, I was the last one on it. I've fished it multiple times and it was flawless in operation. It will need some service I'm sure, but the motors are in excellent shape and low hours. I will be paying $22k, not sure I can go wrong at that price. I intend to have it pulled out first thing and given a full service on motor, fuel lines, pumps, etc.

Upvote 0

ocurtis

Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Owen
Boat Name
Hobie Outback
haha, its not a question of if...

I plan to immediately do a major service and cleaning, then put $10,000 in electronics on it and add some feature comforts. I figure at this price, I will get every penny out if I ever sell it.

question; he doesn't know if it s a MV or a DV. how can I tell? I have ridden it many times and don't remember it pounding, or being unstable at drift... could be that with 115 hp it doesn't go fast enough to pound! from my recollection, cruising in rough sees was normally 18 knots, and 24 in smooth seas.

NATIVE
NATIVE
The MV hull has one lifting strake and comes to a 'v' under the drain at the transom.
The DV hull has two lifting strakes and has a flat surface under the drain at the transom.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat Name
Judge 27
I'm not here to debbie downer the deal. You need to know that it will take some coin to get it where you want if your putting new electronics, possible new fuel tank, etc.

You'll have all off season to get it up to your specs. Schedule any work you need done asap after your purchase. The wait times for any work you'll need done are crazy.

Also, what ever number you come up with in cost to upgrade things plan on adding a bunch more contingency cash for unkowns.

Sounds like a solid deal to me though. I'd buy it and figure 30-50k depending on fuel tank replacement, full electronics upgrade, engine work, etc.

Reactions: ocurtis
Upvote 0

ocurtis

Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Owen
Boat Name
Hobie Outback
for sure. I am figuring $10k for electronics, $4k for engine work (they were perfect when parked so I cant imagine it will take much), $1k for bottom paint, I will detail it myself and put in new pumps, etc. i am figuring an extra $10k for whatever else comes up. that would put my at $45k for a badass parker with the latest electronics and in perfect shape! I have two partners so the cost is pretty low, and over runs dont hurt that bad haha

Reactions: Dave Coopman

ocurtis

Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Owen
Boat Name
Hobie Outback
I hadnt heard about the fuel tank issue until Dave's comment. seems faiirly common on old boats. I will have to look at that when I am down there. sounds like there is a good chance of needing to do it soon

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat Name
    Aleta Azul
    haha, its not a question of if...

I plan to immediately do a major service and cleaning, then put $10,000 in electronics on it and add some feature comforts. I figure at this price, I will get every penny out if I ever sell it.

question; he doesn't know if it s a MV or a DV. how can I tell? I have ridden it many times and don't remember it pounding, or being unstable at drift... could be that with 115 hp it doesn't go fast enough to pound! from my recollection, cruising in rough sees was normally 18 knots, and 24 in smooth seas.

It has to be a Mod V if it can plane with twin 115's. A deep V 2520 usaully has at least a 300 (or twin 150's) and is badly underpowered with that, you really want twin 250's.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
    Carp, CA, USA
    Name
    Steve T.
    Boat Name
    soon2B
    There is a Parker message board here on BD
    That might be the place to be posting.
    BTW, never forget the slogan...
    "A boat is nothing but a hole in the water in which you throw money into"
    or, BOAT... Bust out another thousand.
    Good luck. :)

Upvote 0

parrotfish

Feb 26, 2014
    Name
    Bryan Thompson
    Boat Name
    Parker2520
    I have a 2003 2520 DV with twin Yamaha 115's.
    It planes easily.
    At 4500 RPM, 3-4 people and some gear it does 25 knots, 2.5-3 mpg.
    I have been very happy with mine.
    Good luck with yours.

Upvote 0

ocurtis

Almost A Member
    Oct 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Owen
    Boat Name
    Hobie Outback
    So I went and checked the boat out. it is EXTREMELY dirty. I think it has been sitting for 4 years. there is mildew starting to show up on the gelcoat. the Fuel in the tank is 4 years old (its full) although the owner added stabilizer shortly after filling it. probably still no good, right?

motors look good inside, because he sprayed them with a protectant before he left it.

So $22k another $6-7k for bottom painting and cleaning, motor service, remove fuel, etc. I will be $30k to have a good functioning 2001 2520. still worth it? it has no trailer

denjw12
    denjw12
    I suggest you call west Coast Marineabout the fuel. They will refer you to an amazing man from San Diego who will extract and polish your fuel if it can be saved or otherwise dispose of it (that will cost you!) . He will clean the tank with acetone and install a new sender. 4 years ago that cost me about $750 for a 120 gal tank in a 23 foot whaler. More than worth it! Dennis
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat Name
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    Suggest hooking up a battery to it, turn on the ignition and you should be able to read the hours on the gages...at 1,000 hours, you will need to spend some bucks for the recommended major tuneup...anyway, you will need to replace the impellers to ensure water cooling is functioning properly...assuming the engines run ok, value in running condition is about $35,00-$45,000..
    ...Unfortunately, the fuel will need to be pumped out and discarded...too old to take a chance on, even with filtering...
    ...Max new hp you would need to get for full load benefits is 200 hp engines...my 2520 dv will top out at 45 mph with twin 200 hp Yamahas at full load (fuel, 2-3 people, live bait, ice, etc)......me: I would grab it fast at that price and run....:)

If you buy it, take the door lock, window mechanisms, winch plate apart, clean good, grease and put back together to avoid or remove corrosion build up...wax any alum frames..definately replace fuel line hoses from opening to engines...the weak point for spills/engine fires...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat Name
    23' Center Console
    If you have more money that time, it's a deal. If your budget is a little tight, doing most of the work yourself will still make it a deal.

Other than that, there are Parkers popping up, turnkey in the 40-50k range now that socal is getting saturated with them. They should be back in the 20-30k range on the next economic pull back.

Upvote 0